failed message

Reaction score
I have an HP w/AMD64x2. When I start up the computer after everything is started a message comes up stating that DISCover socket initialization failed. Can anyone tell me what that means?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Google is your friend

This is a problem appears related to HP Media Center PCs with DISCover games software.

Digital Interactive Systems Corporation (DISCover) is a software/technology company that provides a game center that allows you to search, try, buy, and download games on-demand.

This error comes up after you logon to desktop screen.

Troubleshooting My DISCover Games
If one of the following errors appear, you can remove and reinstall the DISCover software by following the steps below.
Removing and reinstalling the software is known to fix these errors or other problems that may appear.

Possible DISCover error messages include:
MICROSOFT VISUAL ROUTINE LIBRARY Runtime Error. Program: C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
DISCOVER Socket Initialization failed.
DISCover terminal open.
Discover.exe entry point not found.
Discover drop and play executable system has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. We are sorryfor the inconvenience.

To remove the DISCover software:
Click Start on the taskbar.
Click Control Panel.
Click Add or Remove Programs.
Select DISCover from the list of programs and then click the Remove button.
Follow any onscreen instructions.

To reinstall the DISCover software:
Click Start on the taskbar.
Choose All Programs.
Choose PC Help & Tools.
Click HP Application Recovery.
Click Application Installation, and then click Next.
Select DISCover from the list of programs and then click Install.
When the installation is complete, close the Application Recovery program, and then turn the computer off and on. Click Start, Turn Off Computer, and then Restart.

If problems persist, you can disable the software tasks that are associated with DISCover softare. To do this, prevent DISCover and DiscUpdMgr from opening during startup using the Microsoft Configuration utility( "msconfig" )and also disable unnecessary startup items and also perform the below step if possible as a last step.

The file "Ssdpsrv" Used by Universal Plug and Play (for network device discovery). To remove this program, open Add/Remove Programs, select either Communications (Me) or Networking Services (XP), and remove the checkmark next to Universal Plug and Play.
:thumb:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20060625201703AAodd5Y

Ask a Question