Windows 7 Black screen,no start up.

Reaction score
I have a dell dimension 5150 circa 2006 and have just tried to carry out a backup as usual, I plugged into an external storage unit and started to download (which normally takes 1 hour plus) after about 10 seconds it stopped, download complete.!
I tried to restart and got a black screen with the message " windows failed to start, a recent hardware or software change might be the cause, then instructs me to insert windows installation disc and restart. Dell did not think it necessary to supply a disc with the new computer so I cant start the repair system.
Obviously the download didn't go well, I have several files that are important including a years accounts records so I am more than a bit upset. so much for backing up.! Is it terminal.?
Fault code Oxc000000f now shows.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The error means the operating system (Windows) cannot 'see' your hard drive, or the portion of the HD with Widows on it.

Dell typically, along with other manufacturers, will put aside a portion of the HD where they 'store' a recovery partition. This is used to restore the PC to the default setup when you first got it.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

You may be able to 'restore' the OS but you will could/probably lose all your data.

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have a dell dimension 5150 circa 2006 and have just tried to carry out a backup as usual, I plugged into an external storage unit and started to download (which normally takes 1 hour plus) after about 10 seconds it stopped, download complete.!
I tried to restart and got a black screen with the message " windows failed to start, a recent hardware or software change might be the cause, then instructs me to insert windows installation disc and restart. Dell did not think it necessary to supply a disc with the new computer so I cant start the repair system.
Obviously the download didn't go well, I have several files that are important including a years accounts records so I am more than a bit upset. so much for backing up.! Is it terminal.?
Fault code Oxc000000f now shows.

You might be able to rescue some of your data with a Linux Live Distro running from a usb stick.
breakfast.gif

Ask a Question