Windows Vista Black Screen with a cursor

Reaction score
Hey Gurus, I have a serious problem here, but to you guys i know you can help. My Laptop is Proline W763S and it was working properly. Just 4 days ago when I tried to boot my laptop (Win Vista) it says "windows loading" then when it come to the part where i put my password, the screen is just blank (black) with a cursor. Then it would stay in this state for days. Please Geniuses i need help. I am writting MCSE this months.....I on the edge

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
When booting the machine, tap the F8 key to access the Windows boot menu. Choose the option to "load last known good configuration". This will load the last logon to desktop event. If you boot Windows and never see a desktop, then this option can usually get you to a desktop. If not, try booting into safe mode and restarting.

Have you installed anything on the machine between the last time you logged in to this time? If so, boot to safe mode and remove it. Sometimes it is as simple as removing a USB device, such as a printer or external drive. These things can cause a system to hang on boot or Windows load.

Reaction score
I have been using Windows 7 until now and there is nothing i tried to install. I have also tried to boot in safe mode and i still had the same result. I then removed the Hard Disk and slaved it on my desktop computer, but it doesnt show as a slave and the Desktop computer responds very slowly

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
the desktop responds slowly when the laptop drive is connected? how did you connect it? USB or internal? is this a SATA or IDE laptop drive?

does this machine have a restore disc to reinstall Vista? Perhaps there was an issue with copying the image. Also, perhaps the drive is acting funny. From your description, I would place that type of behavior into the "failing drive" category. Ensuring that you have the proper "slave" configuration also could be an issue. SATA isn't master/slave. IDE typically won't let you see the drive unless you have the jumpers right. If the jumpers aren't right, then you could see slow performance from a desktop. Also, if it is an IDE laptop drive, desktops aren't setup to run a laptop drive. You may need 2.5" ide USB housing to check the drive.

Also, check the manufacturer on the drive. You can usually get a boot disc to run on the laptop to test the drive's capabilities. Read/Write/surface area is what most commonly is tested. If you can find the tools for it, I would low level the drive and re-run the Vista installation process. Perhaps there is data that isn't being removed properly or the platter is keeping a magnetism that is causing the drive not to copy information. This is an extreme case. Usually the tools will tell you exactly what is wrong with the drive, if anything.

Reaction score
I am sorry I did not mention how i connected my laptop HDD. It has a SATA connection and i connected it internally. Yes the machine has a restore disk and i have tried it so many times, it just hungs. But I totally agree with you when you said it should be an HDD failure. I am gonna check fro the laptop's manufacturer to get a boot disk. Man I respect you...even though i have not get my laptop done, you are easing the pain...You are a Genius bro..Big UP!!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Thank you. I try to provide solutions or at least an explanation of why things do what they do. Computers are more fickle than women sometimes.

Who made the drive? Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital? I would put the drive into the laptop and download the manufacturer tools. This will be the best way to test the drive itself. Their tools will say directly "your drive is ****ed". :lol:

Otherwise, it sounds as if the restore discs are hosed. If they hang when you try to install, it probably has an issue with creating the MBR or something else. Are the discs scratched? That will cause the system to hiccup and possibly not recover. Do you have a regular OS install CD? Try that and see if you can get it to install at least. If that happens, you probably have failed restore discs.

Good luck.

Reaction score
The manufacturer is Samsung (320GB), i am getting on the manufacturer's site in a few minutes. The CDs have no scratches because i have to make new copies of these CDs just to be on the safe side. Before I connected the HDD to the other computer, I tried to load Windows XP on it (I wanted at least to be able to reach where i have options to partition the HDD and install XP on the new partition or something) but then the XP would load files and brings a blue screen of death before finishing loading the files...

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
hrm....BSOD on loading of Windows XP.

At what point did it BSOD? I have seen issues with newer SATA controllers that require the F6 driver load option. You may have to slipstream the drivers into the OS CD in order to get it to complete. This required knowledge of what kind of SATA controller is in it. For example the Intel ICH7 requires a driver for XP. It may depend on the SP of the OS installation, but I don't believe that is the case.

You can get N Lite Deployment tool from http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

This will allow you to set up the OS CD installation with all the drivers for the machine as well as create an unattended installation. This is essentially what was done with your original manufacturer restore discs. I have used it quite a few times to restore client machines that give me issues with XP Pro and the SATA controllers.

Reaction score
Thank you Genius, I will get the N lite Deployment tool. But the BCOD appeared before the CD finishes loading files in the first phase. i.e before it come to the part where I will press enter to start the process of installing. I was also had an idea that may be i should have been pressing F6 to get the SCSI drivers installed. I usually work with computers, and this is my field, but this problem is one of its kind.. I really appreciate your Help

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
yeah. that is exactly what this is. Basically, the BSOD is telling you that there is an issue copying to the SATA drive. Try to load the SATA controller drivers. I have seen this on many newer system boards. If you have a floppy drive and a floppy with the controller drivers on it, you can F6 them in. If not, you have to use Nlite to slipstream the drivers into the installation so that Windows has the option. It has been a while since I have had to do it so the actual process is a little fuzzy. I think that F6 will allow you to load the driver from the CD when it says that it can't find the floppy. Either way, F6 is involved.

Ask a Question