explorer panel disappears

Billy Sollocks

Hi,

When ever I start a new session in IE6, or open a new IE window, the
left hand side explorer bar is not displayed. I can open it from the
toolbar icons or keystroke "ctrl-h", "ctrl-i" etc, but it will not open
with the new window by default.

This has only recently started.

I have run malware and spyware checks but they have not found anything
amiss.

Can someone please tell me how I may re-store ie6 to open the explorer
bar for every new instance.

Thanks

Bill

Win2K v5.00.2195 SP4
IE6 v6.0.2800.1106IC SP1

Don Varnau

[defunct group removed- microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie6.browser]

Hi,
A security/antispyware program may be preventing this change (explorer bar
persistence.) These and other third-party programs can lock the IE homepage
and "protect" other Internet Explorer settings. Examine the settings of
security/privacy/antispyware programs for the option to lock homepage, lock
IE control panel, lock IE settings, etc.

Spybot (Advanced Mode) Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Ad-aware Pro
Norton AV 2006 (Web Browsing > Spyware protection)
McAfee AV or Antispyware
Spyware Blaster
Spysweeper
Zone Alarm- free and pro.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Billy Sollocks

Hi Don

Thanks for your thoughts on what may be causing the explorer bar not to
be displayed. I am using Norton NIS 2006 but have tried with and without
the home page protection checked.......it made not a jot of difference.

I also have Ad-aware Pro, but use it only for scanning, not as a TSR.

I also noticed a post in this group to run...."rundll32
setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance"........I tried this and checked the repair
option, but it will still only open on demand.

Ayy other suggestion please.

Thanks again

Bill

Billy Sollocks said:
Hi,

When ever I start a new session in IE6, or open a new IE window, the
left hand side explorer bar is not displayed. I can open it from the
toolbar icons or keystroke "ctrl-h", "ctrl-i" etc, but it will not open
with the new window by default.

This has only recently started.

I have run malware and spyware checks but they have not found anything
amiss.

Can someone please tell me how I may re-store ie6 to open the explorer
bar for every new instance.

Thanks

Bill

Win2K v5.00.2195 SP4
IE6 v6.0.2800.1106IC SP1

Jon Kennedy

Try this: Close all IE windows. Open one new IE window. Set the explorer
bar you want open. Go to File...New...Window. See if that works. Close
the first window, then the second.
HTH.

Billy Sollocks

Jon,

thanks for the suggestion, but I had tried that already. Notwithstanding I
did try again, but IE6 still opens without explorer side panel.

Might there be a registry entry that needs re-setting, or maybe I should try
and re-install IE6, which I also believe is eaier said than done.

TIA

Bill

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try... Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third-party browser
extensions." Restart. That may indicate that a browser extension is causing
the problem.

Does the problem still occur in Safe Mode?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Billy Sollocks said:
Hi,

When ever I start a new session in IE6, or open a new IE window, the
left hand side explorer bar is not displayed. I can open it from the
toolbar icons or keystroke "ctrl-h", "ctrl-i" etc, but it will not open
with the new window by default.

This has only recently started.

I have run malware and spyware checks but they have not found anything
amiss.

Can someone please tell me how I may re-store ie6 to open the explorer
bar for every new instance.

Thanks

Bill

Win2K v5.00.2195 SP4
IE6 v6.0.2800.1106IC SP1

Billy Stickers

Don you are a hero.

Thank you, following the unchecking as you suggested, IE is working fine
again now, and pages loading quicker too.
I had noticed that it had slowed. The only change on the PC I can think of
was installing Acrobat 8, maybe that added something in, but it is nothing I
can't live without.

Well, thanks again and have a great weekend.

Cheers

Bill