Windows XP Emergency Help Needed: Missing or corrupt file: \windows\system32\config\system

Reaction score
Hi,

I get an error message when starting up my Windows XP media Centre pc.

The problem is, before it ocould get on to the logon screen, i get a message saying:
----------------------------
Windows Could not Start because the following file is missing or corrupt

\Windows\System32\config\system

---------------------

I Have looked at other forums with similar problems but i casn't seem to understand anything.

Also I have tried to boot the pc up in safe mode, but when doing this, i still get the same error.
System restore is active on my computer.

Another problem with this is that i do not have the original XP media centre cd for it. It did not come with one. But I have XP Professional SP2 CD. Will this work?

I do not want to have all the files deleted.

Please could someone help.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If You Are Lucky Maybe The Person That Programed Your Computer Copied Setup To The Harddrive.if So You Just Need The Correct Floppy Or Maybe You Can Get On By Selecting Prompt And Typing In The The Path To Setup.you Could Also Load Your Other Program So You Can Look At This Os To See If The Setup Has Been Copied.do Not Overwrite Your Corrupted Os.install The Other Os In A New Directory.if You Do Find That Your Corrupted Os Has The Setup Already Loaded It May Be Just A Matter Of Clicking Setup In Your Corrupted Os To Activate.if So Select Repair.if Secondary Os Chooses To Install Into Your Corrupted Os Choose A New Name And Create A New Directory.seeing How The Secondary Os Is Only Going To Be Used For Repair You Can Name This Directory Any Thing You Want.

Reaction score
Thanks for ur help, but there is no setup fles or backup or anything fo the os.

I checked the manual for the dell pc, and it says to use system restore or the recovery tool which you can access from the desktop.

But i can't even get in to the desktop to open the Dell recovery software or even access system restore in safe mode beecause that same error keeps popping up.

Anyone else know?

Thanks

Reaction score
RE:Emergency Help Needed:

Did You Load The Other Os?if So You Should Be Able To Access From There.another Thing, If The Secondary Operating System Has This Corrupted File It May Be Possible To Copy It From There.run Chkdsk,you May Have Bad Sector(s).my Desktop Is Located In Documents And Settings.

Ask a Question