Windows XP Difficulty booting system up

Reaction score
I have a packard bell xtreme 6050 which has just given me a message of missing or corrupt file for \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I cannot find my Windows XP CD, is there anything else I can do?

Reaction score
Hi you could borrow a cd BUT use your authentication number which is on the PC normaly on the back:)

Reaction score
debs311 said:
I have a packard bell xtreme 6050 which has just given me a message of missing or corrupt file for \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I cannot find my Windows XP CD, is there anything else I can do?

What is the exact file thats corrupt?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Don't those Packard Bell machines have recovery partitions on them?

If so, do you need an XP CD or recovery disk to access it? I really don't know myself.

As other people have said you can borrow an XP CD as long as you have the original XP serial number.

If you don't have the Microsoft number and you've lost your disc it's unlikely you will repair your system without buying another copy of XP.

And even if you do get a copy of XP it's very rarely that Windows XP is able to repair itself.

My success rate in this area: Zero.

If you have neither disc or number and your machine is capable of running Win 7 I would suggest waiting until October 22nd and buying a copy of Win 7 rather than another copy of the somewhat antiquated Win XP.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Great you can all help me but I really don't know what I am doing as I am totally amateur to this.
Is there an easy way out for me so my system will boot up properly?

Reaction score
First thing's first;

See if you can find anything in your manual about recovery partition. If not then visit the website see if it mentions anything there.

When booting look carefully on the screen to see any mention of booting from a recovery disk or partition

Try and find someone with a disk you could borrow for a while

If you are really unsure what to do take it to a shop!!!

Reaction score
Would it help me if I said I could actually boot up my system in a roundabout way by pressing different keys? I can get windows started eventually after a lot of pratting about !!!!! Although I am sure at some pont it will get annoyed with me and stop working altogether.

Reaction score
OK when booting up press the F8 key continuelly . A screen should appear with a few options on it

You need the 'SAFE MODE' option

Attempt that and let it boot into safe mode. It will ask you a question in a panel click 'YES' to safe mode
When into safe mode it will look differently so next you goto the 'Start/run' button bottom left of the screen

in the 'RUN' box type

chkdsk /f

exactly as you see it above, follow the instructions then reboot let it do its job

and let us know if anything changes

Ask a Question