Windows XP Corrupt Missing File windows/system32/config/system

Reaction score
Hi

I have just turned on my computer and have got the message "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt"

The computer is new and has windows media installed and I have not made any disks as yet

I have an external Hard Drive available as well as a 2nd PC

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Vernonh said:
Hi

I have just turned on my computer and have got the message "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt"

The computer is new and has windows media installed and I have not made any disks as yet

I have an external Hard Drive available as well as a 2nd PC

Any suggestions?

Firstly welcome to PC Review
happywave.gif

OK who did you buy the PC from & how long ago?
Is it under warranty?
Click Here 4 Advice

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yo ppl,

These could be the possibly problems

Boot.ini could be missing
i386 missing
Your Bios Might have to updated

l suggest you get into dos mode your going to have to get your startup disc for the operating system your using and once everys thing loaded goto recovery console blah blah it loads then your gonna wanna type in

then type
C:
then type
fix boot
type exit
(lt works for me l think it depends on what file your missing:confused:)

Or lf fix boot does l suggest you look up on how to replace\repair\copy\make new files that are missing or corrupt

People have been encountering this problem so much the way it happen to me was that when l was going into msconfig when l was deselecting a certain startup l by accidently made my boot.ini file not boot up so l had to make a new one which was a pain l suggest to prevent this problem is that if your at a point where you dont know what you are doing close the window.

-MB

Ask a Question