    Could not find file anywhere on computer.
    Had to uninstall windows defender to solve.

    Any one else had this problem?

    Guest, Feb 27, 2006

  2. A possible fix is now being looked at further--if you are interested in
    trying it out, here are a couple of registry keys which you might verify the
    existence of, and then delete.

    If you wish to be safest, you can save copies of these keys before deletion,
    but I'm assured they will regenerate with valid data, fixing the issue--this
    has worked on my system.

    1) Delete:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9E477B43-8F85-11D0-B11F-00A0C90F2732}]

    2) Delete:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ComponentCategories\{56FFCC30-D398-11D0-B2AE-00A0C908FA49}

    I'm trying to take pains to be sure that these long lines are not
    broken--but I'd search and confirm carefully that you are finding the right
    keys.

    Let me know whether you cannot find either key--if you cannot find the first
    one, you can go ahead and delete the second one, but the fix will be
    temporary--boot or login duration--not sure. I'd like to hear about
    that.--and I'd like to hear how this works in any case.

    This fix is applicable to a trio of symptoms:

    1) inablity to save downloaded files--they may appear on the desktop as the
    download completes, but they disappear.

    2) inability to save attachments from an email application to, say, the
    desktop.

    3) inability to do an expand all on a zip folder.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 1, 2006

    Simon Zerafa Guest

    Hi Bill,

    If this helps any, my PC (XP Pro SP2) with an install of WD does not appear
    to have the first of your listed registery entries, but it does have the
    second one.

    I am not experiencing any particular issues with WD and I have the latest
    updates (released earlier today).

    Is the "missing" first registry entry normal or should it actually be
    present, if so what sort of data should it contain?

    Kind Regards

    Simon

    Simon Zerafa, Mar 1, 2006
  4. I don't know much about that first entry--it isn't clear whether it is
    specific to my machine, for example. I did Google the guid with no result.

    In rethinking that post--I'd urge folks to be sure to save a copy of that
    first key if it exists. I know the second can be deleted safely, but I
    think I don't know that about the first.

    This is definitely still being looked at--but at least deleting that second
    key will bring relief for the duration of a login or boot.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 1, 2006

    I have expericenced the same problem on the 2 machines that I have tested
    this on. They were both the same XP Build on laptops. I installed this on a
    desktop build here and it did not experience the same issue. I am lost on
    this one.
    I tried completly "disabling" the Defender service and then rebooting, but
    this did not work either. I have checked every IE Setting possible with no
    luck.

    Guest, Mar 1, 2006

    I am not downloading .zip files....
    I also have the box "unchecked" that says "Close this dialog box when
    download completes" and it still will not save any file...
    The box also closes itself...

    Guest, Mar 1, 2006
  7. A possible fix is now being looked at further--if you are interested in
    trying it out, here are a couple of registry keys which you might verify the
    existence of, and then save copies of, then delete.

    It isn't clear whether the first key listed exists on all systems--the
    second should.

    1) Save, as a .reg file, then delete:

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 1, 2006

    Bill,

    These keys do not exist on my machine.

    Guest, Mar 1, 2006
  9. Thanks. I don't know what to make of this--I expected it, I think, for the
    first key--but the second one should be there.

    There's another thread with Mike Treit participating looking at this in a
    different group--I'll see if I can get him to look in here, too.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 1, 2006
  10. OK--I've got a full-scale final recipe for this one, but it isn't just
    chicken soup, I'm afraid:

    1) start, run,

    regsvr32 "c:\program files\windows defender\mpoav.dll"

    enter

    Adjust the drive letter if needed for your system.

    This should yield a success message. If it does not, check for typos (yours
    or mine!) and check that mpoav.dll exists in \program files\windows
    defender.

    2) (this is the hard part)
    - Search for other IOfficeAntivirus products to repair

    o Launch regedit, and search for this GUID:
    {56FFCC30-D398-11D0-B2AE-00A0C908FA49}

    § Clsid's implementing this GUID are IOfficeAntivirus Providers

    o For each key found like this:

    § [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{%GUID%}\Implemented
    Categories\{56FFCC30-D398-11D0-B2AE-00A0C908FA49}]

    § Either delete the key if the product is no longer installed, or
    re-register the COM object associated with it.

    When I did this search in my own registry, I found the GUID in several
    places, but only two keys of the form specified above--when the search
    stopped on those, I backed up a couple of lines to where I could see what
    product was associted with the entry--in each case it was Windows Defender.
    Mind you--my machine has been "cured" already!

    Here's an example.

    Search stops on a key with the above GUID value, which is a subkey of
    "Implemented Categories."

    Above that are urlmon, shdocvw, hots, and another GUID. Backing up to that
    GUID I was able to see that it was associated with Windows Defender.

    So--I did not need to deal with that final step of re-registering the COM
    object. Frankly--I don't know how to do that at this point--so if you are
    up for it--do a little careful exploring of the registry and let's see what
    you find?

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 1, 2006
  11. Sorry--one more bit of information.

    What's happening is generally related to a critter described in this KB
    article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883260

    Near the very end of this article are some settings which can be used as a
    last resort to fix this--you can turn off the scanning of attachments by
    antivirus apps. This is a last resort because clearly you won't have
    antivirus coverage of such operations if you choose that route--but it does
    exit.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 1, 2006

    I had the same exact problem -- just so MS knows you are not alone and
    contribute my vote that it's a real problem. Anti-Spy worked. Defender
    downloaded and then deleted the files. I spent a lot of time disabeling
    things without success. I finally had to uninstall Defender to get things
    working. Downloading is critical to my work, so I have no choice. MS is good
    at these things, so I'm sure they'll find the answer, but I need to focus on
    my work and wait for the released version.

    Guest, Mar 12, 2006
  13. Microsoft is working hard to fix this particular problem. If you have the
    time to attempt a reinstall and see if the problem recurs--Mike Treit would
    be interested in hearing from you if it does:

    mtreit @ microsoft.com

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 13, 2006

    Bill,

    Thank you for the note. I'll try it as soon as possible.

    Rick

    Guest, Mar 13, 2006
  15. Remember to remove the spaces before using the email address.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 13, 2006

    I've removed Beta 2 because of the D/L problem and the problems with my
    Favorites being kludged. Is there anypalce I can get Beta 1 setup?

    TIA

    Guest, Mar 14, 2006

    from http://www.filehippo.com Beta 1
    http://www.filehippo.com/download/88f7471049179318fa98d78e1df25a33/download/

    Guest, Mar 14, 2006
  18. If you can reproduce the problem saving downloaded files on your system,
    Microsoft would like to get more information about this:

    Please write to Mike Treit
    mtreit @ microsoft.com
    (remove the spaces)

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 14, 2006

    Engel,

    Thank you

    Guest, Mar 14, 2006

    Bill,

    The process happens so fast I can not gather any information to pass on to
    MicroSoft.

    Guest, Mar 14, 2006