domain controller security policy failed to open

Cedric

When I try to open the domain controller security policy
in administrative tools I get the following message:

Failed to open the group policy object. You may not have
appropriate rights

Details:
An invailid dn syntax has been specified

Can anyone help me solve the this problem

Ray Lava [MSFT]

Cedric,

This error may indicate that the Default Domian Controller Security policy
link is corrupt. If this is the case, it can be easily resolved by doing
the following:

Go into the properties of your Domain Controller OU. Go to the group policy
tab. You should see the "default domain controller policy" listed in the
window there. Remove this link (make sure that you only remove the link
from the list) and then readd it again.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ray Lava
Microsoft Corporation

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

It is possible the shortcut pointers are corrupt. See if you can manually
run dcpol.msc.
If that is successful, create a new shortcut to dcpol.msc and name it
Domain Controller Security Policy

Hope that helps!

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Directory Services