I am getting the following error when i try to invoke
Domain Security Policy or Domain Controller Security
Policy from Administrative Tools, on my Windows 2000
domain server.
Error:
Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have
appropriate rights.
Details:
An Invalid dn syntax has been specified.

When I run DCDIAG on the windows 2000 server Domain
Controller

I get the following error:

Starting test: frssysvol
There are errors after the SYSVOL has been shared.
The SYSVOL can prevent the AD from starting.

I think the errors are related. How can I fix this error??

R

Ray Lava [MSFT]

Cedric,

The error message that you are seeing from your dcdiag is not unusual. The important thing about the frssysvol test is whether it passes or not. If your domain controller passes the test, then the problems with group policy are probably unrelated and you can ignore the warning.

The error that you are seeing when you attempt to edit your group policies indicates that the shortcuts (links) to these policies may have been corrupted. To resolve this problem, you can go into your default domain controller policy snap-in and remove the link to the default domain controller policy. Then readd it again. Do this same thing with you default domain policy (remove and readd the link). Once that has been done, please refresh group policy from a command prompt by typing "secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce".

One you have done this, the errors go away. If you are still having problems, please check your application log on your domain controller and let me know what errors you are getting pertaining to group policy.

In addtion, let me know how many domain controllers you have in this domain. If you have other domain controllers, do they have the same problem? Is this a new problem or have you never been able to get into your group policies?

Ray Lava
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Ask a Question