dog knocked laptop

Reaction score
Please help...My dog knocked my laptop off my table. it was off at the time..now when i switch it on I get this...blue screen..windows set up...here put a windows xp cd into the drive and it starts to load all files...then it says soory did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. setup cannot continue.
The laptop is a ei system 4421 approx 2 years old..with a new hard drive fitted in feb this year.
has she done irreperable damage..i dont have much money at the moment..or can i get something from somewhere to sort this...
help please ...i depend so much on this laptop

Reaction score
What does the Blue Screen of Death (General Protection Fault) say?
Sounds like your hard drive may have crashed due to it being dropped.
Due you have a 2nd hard drive you could use instead?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sounds like one of two things:

1) The knock when it hit the floor has dislodged the cable from hard drive to motherboard.

2) Or it's knackered the hard drive.

Both are likely, hope it's the first one.

If it is any of those two things, repairing it will entail opening up the laptop. If you're not confident in doing that yourself, take it back to the place where the hard drive was fitted recently.

And then shoot your dog or deliver it to Battersea :)

Good luck.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Flopp's advice sounds about right to me...And taking it to a professional also sounds about right, too many people come on this forum asking for advice about how they have knackered their laptop and have taken it apart and put it back together, and made it worse...

I work with the damn things all day and i'm still amazed at the intricacy of the things......Definitely not for amateurs to mess around with...:thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks Guys

I took it down to local pc repair shop..they looked at it and hardrive had become disconnected..plugged it back in and it worked. But the guy in the shop said it was too slow and he checked and found when the recently installed new hard drive was put in that installer didnt put all drivers on ..half vga files missing?! so he suggested renewing xp

So for past 3 hours i have backed everything to external drive i have and then loaded xp cd.

Everything went fine..it took the customary 45 minutes or so to download the wiindows cd and then when it went to reboot ...it suddenly went off. I restarted and set boot device to hard drive and now i cant switch it back on..no battery charge light either...have I done something..or is something else wrong.?

Thanks

Reaction score
muplayer2000 said:
mucks edit deleted the quote... hope you don't mind. :)

I hope for your sake you're joking.

Jools, did you get this sorted in the end or are you still having problems?

Reaction score
I was serious m8, i don't regret neither. That cat was becoming an annoyance anyway.

bodhi said:
I hope for your sake you're joking.

Jools, did you get this sorted in the end or are you still having problems?

Reaction score
jools said:
Thanks Guys

I took it down to local pc repair shop..they looked at it and hardrive had become disconnected..plugged it back in and it worked. But the guy in the shop said it was too slow and he checked and found when the recently installed new hard drive was put in that installer didnt put all drivers on ..half vga files missing?! so he suggested renewing xp

So for past 3 hours i have backed everything to external drive i have and then loaded xp cd.

Everything went fine..it took the customary 45 minutes or so to download the wiindows cd and then when it went to reboot ...it suddenly went off. I restarted and set boot device to hard drive and now i cant switch it back on..no battery charge light either...have I done something..or is something else wrong.?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean download windows cd?

Is the power pack fine? Check the battery not damaged.

Ask a Question