External Hard Drive USB2

Reaction score
I have an old External Hard Drive that I am trying to read from my laptop with USB3 ports and it will not let me read it.

Please can anyone advise TIA
IMG_20200429_182252.jpg
IMG_20200429_182252.jpg

Reaction score
More info needed pal.

Why the picture of the USB A to Mini USB?

USB 3 is backward compatable. So maybe the above lead is damaged?
Does the drive function (Power Up/LED emit) when plugged in?

Tried a different lead?

Reaction score
I have an old External Hard Drive that I am trying to read from my laptop with USB3 ports and it will not let me read it.

Please can anyone advise TIAView attachment 13444View attachment 13444
If it is not externally powered, one USB port may not be supplying enough power to the drive. You may need a Y adapter so you draw power from two USB ports.

Reaction score
What is the cable I know that one end is USB2 but not the other end? My laptop knows that the external hard drive is there but cannot read it.

Reaction score
More info needed pal.

Why the picture of the USB A to Mini USB?

USB 3 is backward compatable. So maybe the above lead is damaged?
Does the drive function (Power Up/LED emit) when plugged in?

Tried a different lead?
The laptop says that the device, which is powered up, is connected but that is all.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What is the cable, please? The laptop seems to know that the external drive is there but that is all. It will not read it because it says that it is 2.5, not 3.5
It's a standard USB mini cable:

What model is the external hard drive please?

When you say that the laptop cannot read the drive, do you mean that the drive letter doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, or do you get an error when you try to browse it?

In Windows 10, if you right click the start button and then select "disk management", does the drive show up here? If you could post a screenshot of this Window that would help.

Ask a Question