XP application?

If it is not the XP application, how
do I get the XP application?

Diskeeper doesn't seem to be part
of Windows.

Thanks

ColTom2

Hi:

Diskeeper is a separate application from Windows Defragmenter. To access
Windows Defragmenter go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk
Defragmenter. Or Run> dfrg.msc.

ColTom2

When I go to defrag my hard drive,
Diskeeper comes up.

Is this the application that comes
with XP or has it replaced the
XP application?

If it is not the XP application, how
do I get the XP application?

Diskeeper doesn't seem to be part
of Windows.

Thanks

David B.

It's not, it was installed by the mfg or by a user. Uninstall it if you want
to use the Windows defrag utility.

JS

Are you confusing the striped down version
of Diskeeper that come with XP.

When you start a defrag it looks a lot like
the full product but it should not display
any words that would indicate it is Diskeeper.

TaurArian

Gianni wrote:
:: When I go to defrag my hard drive,
:: Diskeeper comes up.
::
:: Is this the application that comes
:: with XP or has it replaced the
:: XP application?
::
:: If it is not the XP application, how
:: do I get the XP application?
::
:: Diskeeper doesn't seem to be part
:: of Windows.
::
:: Thanks

Diskeeper is not a part of windows XP
http://www.diskeeper.com/products/products.aspx

To remove - use add/remove (make sure you don't want it or if you change
your mind you are able to reinstall it).

About Windows XP defrag - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Twayne

DL said:
Why would you want to go back to the winxp default defrag?

Reliability? Dependability? Does everything necessary? Does it
faster? It's designed to work with the OS? A sanity check? There are
lots of reasons. I like, and use, speed disk myself and it works fine.
But if I question whether anything is corrupted/whatever, I'll do use
XP's native function as a verification. Anything over XP's native
defrag is just added bells & whistles and is not necessary. When I
switched from defrag to speeddisk, I never changed my defrag schedule;
the time to do a defrag then was much smaller, but ... who cares? It's
a waste of time to sit & watch them; you just do it at a time when the
machine is known to be going to be idle. For me that's over night right
after the backups.

Gianni

Gianni said:
When I go to defrag my hard drive,
Diskeeper comes up.

Is this the application that comes
with XP or has it replaced the
XP application?

If it is not the XP application, how
do I get the XP application?

Diskeeper doesn't seem to be part
of Windows.

Thanks
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Since Diskeeper is not part of Windows
I will remove it. It keeps an icon on the
task bar, sometimes two. Who knows
what else is going on with it.

It does say Diskeeper Lite when it
comes up. It also says Lenovo and
a number.

I'm not against using something better
than the Windows product, but I
prefer choosing it myself.

I also ran the Windows 7 test to see if
my computer could be upgraded; the test said
that I would have to remove Diskeeper
to upgrade.

Thanks again.
Thanks again.

Gianni

ColTom2 said:
Hi:

Diskeeper is a separate application from Windows Defragmenter. To access
Windows Defragmenter go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk
Defragmenter. Or Run> dfrg.msc.

ColTom2

When I do the

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System
Tools>Disk Defragmenter

It brings up Diskeeper.

I will use dfrg.msc

Thanks

Gianni

ColTom2 said:
Hi:

Diskeeper is a separate application from Windows Defragmenter. To access
Windows Defragmenter go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk
Defragmenter. Or Run> dfrg.msc.

ColTom2

I just tried dfrg.msc and it
brought me into Diskeeper
again.

What do I do now?

Gianni

TaurArian said:
Gianni wrote:
:: When I go to defrag my hard drive,
:: Diskeeper comes up.
::
:: Is this the application that comes
:: with XP or has it replaced the
:: XP application?
::
:: If it is not the XP application, how
:: do I get the XP application?
::
:: Diskeeper doesn't seem to be part
:: of Windows.
::
:: Thanks

Diskeeper is not a part of windows XP
http://www.diskeeper.com/products/products.aspx

To remove - use add/remove (make sure you don't want it or if you change
your mind you are able to reinstall it).

About Windows XP defrag - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

I checked -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

and got the following:

Disk Defragmenter MMC is based on the
full retail version of Executive
Software Diskeeper. The version that is
included with Windows XP and later
provides limited functionality in
maintaining disk performance by
defragmenting volumes that use the FAT,
FAT32, or NTFS file system.

So it seems to be a part of the product
or am I missing something?

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Yes, you are missing something. Someone has installed a full version of
diskeeper, and you've been told to uninstall it.

: TaurArian wrote:
: > Gianni wrote:
: > :: When I go to defrag my hard drive,
: > :: Diskeeper comes up.
: > ::
: > :: Is this the application that comes
: > :: with XP or has it replaced the
: > :: XP application?
: > ::
: > :: If it is not the XP application, how
: > :: do I get the XP application?
: > ::
: > :: Diskeeper doesn't seem to be part
: > :: of Windows.
: > ::
: > :: Thanks
: >
: >
: > Diskeeper is not a part of windows XP
: > http://www.diskeeper.com/products/products.aspx
: >
: > To remove - use add/remove (make sure you don't want it or if you change
: > your mind you are able to reinstall it).
: >
: > About Windows XP defrag - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
: >
: >
:
: I checked -

Tom said:
Yes, you are missing something. Someone has installed a full version of
diskeeper, and you've been told to uninstall it.

At this point I am more than a little
confused.

I looked up Diskeeper in Control
Pane>Services.
It was set to start up automatically. Why ?
I changed it to start up manually. Mistake ?

Twayne

Gianni said:
At this point I am more than a little
confused.

I looked up Diskeeper in Control
Pane>Services.
It was set to start up automatically. Why ?
I changed it to start up manually. Mistake ?

You really should answer the following questions in order to provide
better information to work with.

Does XP defrag work now?

Have you tried to uninstall it via Contron Panel's Add or Remove
Software?

What brand is your computer?

Twayne`

Mike Hall - MVP

Gianni said:
I just tried dfrg.msc and it
brought me into Diskeeper
again.

What do I do now?

Uninstall Diskeeper in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and the original XP defragmenter
will reappear..

Gianni

Twayne said:
You really should answer the following questions in order to provide
better information to work with.

Does XP defrag work now?

Have you tried to uninstall it via Contron Panel's Add or Remove
Software?

What brand is your computer?

Twayne`

Diskeeper does work although it detects
a problem
with a snap-in. It gives an option to
ignore the problem
and continue. It always works after
ignoring the
snap-in problem.

I haven't tried to uninstall Diskeeper
because it seems to be the
Windows XP defragger.

I have a Lenovo T61 running XP Pro SP3.

Gianni

Mike said:
Uninstall Diskeeper in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and the original XP defragmenter
will reappear..
The Microsoft Support message

Disk Defragmenter MMC is based on the
full retail version of Executive
Software Diskeeper. The version that is
included with Windows XP and later
provides limited functionality in
maintaining disk performance by
defragmenting volumes that use the FAT,
FAT32, or NTFS file system.

seems to indicate that Diskeeper is the
original XP defragmenter.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

: seems to indicate that Diskeeper is the
: original XP defragmenter.

NO it's NOT!
Are you having a hard time reading the replies and solution to uninstall
Diskeeper, which is NOT the same as Diskeeper lite. The built-in
defragmenter does NOT show up in add/remove programs.

Either you are dense or you are a troll.

Follow the instructions or move on.

Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Gianni said:
Twayne wrote:
> Gianni wrote:
>> Tom [Pepper] Willett wrote:
>>> Yes, you are missing something. Someone has installed a full version
>>> of diskeeper, and you've been told to uninstall it.
>>>

>> At this point I am more than a little
>> confused.
>>
>> I looked up Diskeeper in Control
>> Pane>Services.
>> It was set to start up automatically. Why ?
>> I changed it to start up manually. Mistake ?

> You really should answer the following questions in order to provide
> better information to work with.
>
> Does XP defrag work now?
>
> Have you tried to uninstall it via Contron Panel's Add or Remove
> Software?
>
> What brand is your computer?
>
> Twayne`

Diskeeper does work although it detects
a problem
with a snap-in. It gives an option to
ignore the problem
and continue. It always works after
ignoring the
snap-in problem.

I haven't tried to uninstall Diskeeper
because it seems to be the
Windows XP defragger.

I have a Lenovo T61 running XP Pro SP3.

I had a Lenovo laptop a few years ago, and it came bundled with the 'lite' version of Diskeeper 9. I suppose that's the same one you have.

The default XP defragmenter is also a Diskeeper 'lite' version, but one from around 2001 or so (when XP was released), which was licensed by Microsoft. The newer 'lite' versions are still better than the XP default.

If you want advanced defrag features like system file defrag, boot-time defrag etc, then only the 'full' Diskeeper versions have them..currently it's DK 2009 (I use it and it's very good).

Any version of Diskeeper, be it Lite or the full version automatically supersedes the default XP defrag. if you uninstall Diskeeper you can get back the XP defragger..though there is no reason why you would want to do that.

John John - MVP

Gianni said:
I haven't tried to uninstall Diskeeper
because it seems to be the
Windows XP defragger.

You can't uninstall the built-in disk defragmenter via the Add/Remove
Programs, what you are seeing there is a different defraging program.
As others have already pointed out, the built-in defrag utility will
only be available after you uninstall Diskeeper.

John