Discussion: The US Presidential Election

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
We stayed up to watch it - also kitted out with alcohol and pizza - but could face seeing it through to the end. When it got to the stage where it seemed like he had certainly won, we called it a night. Not really sure what to make of it all! Seems like less of a victory for Trump and more a victory for those who dislike Clinton. It's incredible that he could make so many mistakes and still win - it just boggles the mind. I just hope he does a better job with the Presidency than he did with his election campaign.

President Trump. What has the world come to?!

Oh, and poor Bernie. I wonder how things would have panned out if the DNC hadn't manipulated things? He must be feeling sick to his stomach.

Reaction score
From what I have read and from friends in the US it seems to be the fact that so many people from the manufacturing and mining side of America who do not have not had college background are out of work because other countries eg China, India etc have taken work away from the US because it costs less to make the product or mine the coal putting millions of blue collar workers out of work they have rebelled against the present government and voted for the former enemy the Republicans. I wish the US Luck but I can see trouble ahead.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
President Trump. What has the world come to?!

Well, I suppose it's a bit like Brexit, this seems like an anti-establishment vote.

Trump did say that he was not a politician at all and Hillary was basically a career politician. After the two George Bushes what would the US have made of two Clintons in a short space of time. I always thought that the Americans disliked nepotism so maybe it was not such a surprise that they would not have Hillary.

Remember all the worries about Ronald Reagan becoming President. He seemed ill suited to the job and people found it hard to accept him, a second rate Hollywood actor, as President, even though he had been Governor of California, but history looks back on him as being something of a success now.

I imagine we will get used to a Trump Presidency. What he says and what he does may have little similarity, which is the case throughout politics. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh, and poor Bernie. I wonder how things would have panned out if the DNC hadn't manipulated things? He must be feeling sick to his stomach.
I feel for him tbh, if it was him rather than HC he would be President now and not Trump IMO. Is that karma for the Dems?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
US Presidential Nepotism

U.S. Presidents Who Were Related to Each Other

George W. Bush (the 43rd president) is the son of George Bush (the 41st president).

John Quincy Adams (the 6th president) was the son of John Adams (the 2nd president).

Benjamin Harrison (the 23rd president) was the grandson of William Henry Harrison (the 9th president).

James Madison (the 4th president) and Zachary Taylor (the 12th president) were second cousins.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt (the 32nd president) was a fifth cousin of Theodore Roosevelt (the 26th president). Genealogists have determined that FDR was distantly related to a total of 11 U.S. presidents, 5 by blood and 6 by marriage: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Ulysses Grant, William Henry Harrison, Benjamin Harrison, James Madison, Theodore Roosevelt, William Taft, Zachary Taylor, Martin Van Buren, and George Washington.

So there, they don't mind a bit of nepotism. :p

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
In total, there were 231,556,622 eligible voters. Based on the count so far, 46.9% didn't vote 25.6% voted for Clinton 25.5% for Trump

So, no-one should be President then. :D

As many would like, faced with the candidates they got. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
47% didn't vote!? Wow. Yet they're all out protesting overnight. :fool:

Edit: From Reddit:

I made a chart showing the popular vote turnout in 2008, 2012 and 2016. Hillary didn't lose because the Republicans grew their base; she lost because the Democrats didn't come out to vote. [OC]
TOGIbcP.jpg

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sanders Statement on Trump
Wednesday, November 9, 2016

BURLINGTON, Vt., Nov. 9 – U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) issued the following statement Wednesday after Donald Trump was elected president of the United States:

“Donald Trump tapped into the anger of a declining middle class that is sick and tired of establishment economics, establishment politics and the establishment media. People are tired of working longer hours for lower wages, of seeing decent paying jobs go to China and other low-wage countries, of billionaires not paying any federal income taxes and of not being able to afford a college education for their kids - all while the very rich become much richer.

“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-trump

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
The next French presidential election is scheduled to be held in April and May 2017. If it goes like elections seem to go these days...

UN Security Council 2017
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
Trump
1f1f7-1f1fa.png
Putin
1f1eb-1f1f7.png
Le Pen
1f1ec-1f1e7.png
Boris Johnson
1f1e8-1f1f3.png
Some normal Chinese politician

Now THAT looks secure! :cry: