Disabling Messenger Service Direction was Wonderful

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the very efficient and easy direction to get rid of the pop-up messenger service. No one could help me until I found this site. So thank you. I did download, is it SW1 - can't find it at the moment. But the program that tells you all about your computer. Now it worked well, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer...once I downloaded it. Is it something that you have to download everytime you need to know something about the internal workings of your computer? It was something that this site said I should do in case the data is needed if I have a problem. I am presently trying to find it on your link again.
Thanks, Paula-Marion

Reaction score
Hello:

thank you so much for your quick reply. I am going to try to find the program that PC Review said we should consider downloading that would give all information about our computer should it be needed when we pose questions. I will go back again and see if I can find it. It is not the program you mentioned, but I thank you for your response. Paula-Marion

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Paula-Marion said:
Hello:

thank you so much for your quick reply. I am going to try to find the program that PC Review said we should consider downloading that would give all information about our computer should it be needed when we pose questions. I will go back again and see if I can find it. It is not the program you mentioned, but I thank you for your response. Paula-Marion

Hello Paula-Marion - I think the one you mean is "SIW" the system information programme which can be downloaded HERE.

You probably saw it mentioned it in Ian Cunningham's "Sticky" advisory post HERE

I have it too, and also find it very useful:thumb: but I downloaded it to my desktop, where I allow it to stay for easy access. To find yours, you might try clicking Start > Search > All Files and Folders then type SIW into the search box ( it will come up as a little green square with a white daisy-like pattern in the middle against the entry you're looking for.) That is if you are using XP.

If you have Vista, I think we shall need to ask Muckshifter how to find it, because I just tried using it's normally excellent search facility.... and it wasn't telling ;)

Hope this helps a bit :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
TC,

I never have anything on my desktop, all downloads go to my downloads folder ...

As for 'search' you need to expand a little ... see pics. ;)

:thumb:

Attachments

• downloads.JPG
    downloads.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 181
  • searcheverywhere.JPG
    searcheverywhere.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 122

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying Mucks :thumb: (I knew I should have waited until I'd had my caffeine "fix" :p )

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
TC,

I never have anything on my desktop, all downloads go to my downloads folder ...

As indeed most sensible and logical thinking people would , and you have the advantage of being a male to boot .
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Re SIW 1.70 - finding it

Thank you for all the help and responses re locating the above program I downloaded. It has been so helpful.

I have another question though. I followed how to disable Messenger Service very carefully and it worked. But on rebooting today, same old Messenger Service Pop-up came on, so I went back and followed the directions and again disabled. Do I have to do this everytime I reboot?

Thank you - and if I stay with this forum, who knows, I may actually start getting some computer smarts:).
Paula-Marion

(now I will go and see if I can find where SIW 1.70 was downloaded to, following all the wonderful directions)

Ask a Question