Fun Open Source Hardware Projects

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a fun project to build, so I've had a look on instructables.com and thingiverse.com to find some good starting points. Most of the open source projects I can find are either 3d printers (already done this), CNC machines (I like the idea, but I don't have the space) or things I'd never use.

Has anyone spotted anything that would be fun to build, and ideally is a mix of electronics and 3d printed parts/woodwork?

I quite like the idea of building a robot arm, but I can't think of a practical use for it.

If you see any plans or ideas for projects that look like they'd be fun and useful, please do let me know about it in this thread, as I'm on the hunt to build something :).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wow ! Van de Graaf Generator sounds like good fun. And also a drone will keep you amused for hours. :D

Have you thought of building a time machine? :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I think the drone might be the one to go for! I'm going to have a look at the bill of materials and see what I'll need. Some clever folks have written all the software for it, which makes it a million times easier :D.

Have you thought of building a time machine? :D

I don't think I have enough tin foil or flux capacitors, unfortunately :lol:.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers @Abarbarian - the site appears to be done at the moment (I get an error saying: "Something unexpected happened!"), but I'll try again in a few hours and have a look :thumb:.

Reaction score
Cheers @Abarbarian - the site appears to be done at the moment (I get an error saying: "Something unexpected happened!"), but I'll try again in a few hours and have a look :thumb:.

Just had a look, they look out of stock at the moment, price 220 euro's

Reaction score
Good luck with that Ian looks like a great project. I have always built my own PC's except the First one a HP and have always had a great deal of satisfaction in doing that, but the fun of playing on my PC was spoilt when Microsoft brought out W10. Now the fun is back with Linux mint Cinnamon as I feel that it has now become my PC again and not Microsoft's.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Site is back up for me now :).

I imagine it'll be pretty good fun assembling that, was just having a look through the instructions to see how detailed they get: https://www.olimex.com/Products/DIY-Laptop/resources/TERES-I.pdf

I think I'm going to go for a drone project, I just need to do some more reading to see if it's possible to make one without prices getting crazy!

The laptop kit would be good fun I recon. However I was pointing you in the direction of the other kit they do.
:cool:

Ask a Question