How Was It For You?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm talking about the eclipse.

Weather forecast predicted cloud all morning but no, the sun was shining quite brightly. So, I got out all the gear to project the sun's image onto a white background ( a colander and a sheet of white paper) and about 15 minutes before it was all due to begin the clouds obliterated the sun. :mad:

It gradually got darker, but not as dark as I expected, the birds stopped singing and then it started to brighten up again. That was it. I think the word was "disappointing". Typical, if there's a 50:50 chance of something being successful, there's a 90 % probability that it won't be ( the 50:50:90 rule). Can't wait for the next eclipse.

Maybe your experience was less disappointing.

Reaction score
Nothing to see because of low cloud cover & i was still in bed also after a late shift.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty much the exact same experience as you @nivrip - I had some binoculars set up to project the image on to a white sheet of paper, but it was too cloudy to get a decent image. It just seemed a little less bright for half an hour or so. Still, one day when we get a full eclipse here it'll be pretty special... however may tens of years away that will be ;).

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We were fortunate enough to have a sunny, clear morning here. It became quite gloomy, although the sun did not completely disappear. (I seem to recall that the 1999 eclipse was a lot darker)

I fiddled about with cardboard and a sheet of white paper... but it was a bit of a fail, due to there being so many trees here, lol.

Watched some live coverage on the internet though, which was pretty cool. :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
wet, overcast, cold ... it was dark at one time, must have been when the sun got masked ... didn't actually see anything.

Looking forward to seeing Halleys' Comet again tho' :)

Reaction score
For a full eclipse we will have to wait until 2090. There is a full eclipse in 2017 in the U.S.A. and a partial one here in 2017.
He in south London we saw nothing.We got up to gloomy skies and it stayed that way until the afternoon when the skies cleared,but of course it was all over by than (drat it!!)
We should make the most of it,these eclipses,because in about 600 million years time there will be no more eclipses,because the moon will have moved to far out to obscure the sun.So no eclipses and no tides.
historian

Reaction score
:(Well here in the sunny South East all we had was thick cloud and all what happened the birds stopped singing and it got very dark, so no excitement here:confused::cry: