Dirt Demo Released

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's a rally racing game from Codemasters.

I was impressed with TOCA Race Driver 3 from the same developer (despite being stuck on about level 18 atm) so this may be worth a try.

The Game is released on 15th June and the demo is available Here. It's 833Mb.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
this looks interesting, i have colin mcrae rally 3 from them which was pretty good so gonna give this a try

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Just been lookin at this, it looks really good. May get me a xbox pad for the pc. :)

I use a Logitech Cordless Gamepad whch imo performs better than the X-Box 360 jobbie.

I'd really like a steering wheel, was going to buy the Logi MoMo but they've discontinued it :(

And it seems to me the only other steering wheel worth buying is the Logi that costs around £150.00 :eek:

So, for now, I'll stick with me gamepad.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
been playing this for the last 10 mins or so, graphics are amazing especially slow mo replays
nod.gif
, controls are proving difficult to get set how i like them but it looks like a decent game so far

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I use a Logitech Cordless Gamepad whch imo performs better than the X-Box 360 jobbie.

I'd really like a steering wheel, was going to buy the Logi MoMo but they've discontinued it :(

And it seems to me the only other steering wheel worth buying is the Logi that costs around £150.00 :eek:

So, for now, I'll stick with me gamepad.
That the one in the pic in the 'room' thread? Does it have the triggers like the xbox pad does? Thats the reason i like the xbox pads you get very precise control over the accelerator and brake in games like PGR and TOCA. I dont mind the pressure sensitive buttons on the PS2 pads, (Gran Turismo etc) but you cant get half as much control with the buttons they just dont move enough imo. :)

I take it the pc xbox pads do have the triggers? and they aren't just 'on and off'

I too would like a wheel but desk space is limited.... :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Me like! Finally, a game that aint a first person shooter!!
laughingsmiley.gif

Me need a control pad though...... :D

Reaction score
Codemasters used to have tons of racers for the PS1 & 2 when I used to play on consoles.

Most of them were really good.

I don't have a gamepad :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I would prefer a pad myself.

What controls are you using ME? Default?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R:

I'll be honest, I've only ever used an X-Box pad on a friend's machine and had a go at Halo and a couple of other games, none of which were racing games.

I just remember thinking to myself I prefer my Logi and yes, it's the one in my last picture thread. Incidentally, that's the Mk I version, I have two of them, there's a Mk II version out now, bought one for my niece recently but I actually prefer the older version.

So, really, I don't know about paddles and the sensitivity of buttons, sorry. Sounds like maybe the X Box gamepad is a good idea after all. It may be that I wasn't impressed with the X Box games because of the lack of mouse/keyboard rather than the inefficiency of the pad - who knows? ;)

I just couldn't play a racing game on the keyboard - yuk :D Gotta have at least a pad, maybe one day a wheel.

Of course, when it comes to fps's, WSAD roolz ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I used to play consoles all the time a few years back. Now i cant play FPS on consoles with the pad at all!

Racing games however are great with a pad or wheel.

I agree, kb and mouse for fps all the way! :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
V_R said:
I would prefer a pad myself.

What controls are you using ME? Default?

i use

accelerator - left shift key
handbrake - left control
brakes - alt
stering - left/right arrows
gears - up/down arrows

it does take a bit of tweaking to get the deadzone set right though

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh, thats different. I had to tweak down the saturation to around 85% because it is way to sensitive to start with. But i use the default arrows keys etc.

Got a Xbox pad on the way now too. :D

What does the deadzone do?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
its kinda like the sensitivity, so if you just tap the left key it wont give you full lock

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah just tried it, stuck it on max (80%ish?) didn't turn at all!! Its like delay i guess. But i got it set nice now.
Bet i have to completely change it when i get the pad!
laughingsmiley.gif

Gettin some nice sidways action now! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just tried this.

First off - it looks gorgeous, the music's good, it's not as serious as previous codemasters games with the dialogue, in fact I'd say there's a slight nod towards NFS in the narration.

But that's as far as the comparison goes, the handling, as ever, is realistic. And for realistic read - hard. This is a game - liike most Codemaster titles - you have to concentrate on to get anywhere.

But it is good, very good.

But here's the gripe - this game isn 't agreeing with my Logitech cordless gamepad at all. It took me three tries and two installs/uninstalls of the demo before it would recognise the gamepad. And then after I selected the third car, the gamepad seized, wouldn't work at all. And the led on the gamepad reciever stayed on where usually it flashes continuously.

I rebooted, uninstalled the demo, rebooted again, and the receiver led was flashing again.

But. When I tried one of my saved games in the full version of Codemaster's TOCA Race Driver 3, all my gamepad settings had gone and I had to reset everything, it said the controller wasn't recognised.

When I did reset everything though, it worked ok.

Another thing with the demo was that I set the video resolution to highest settings, 1600 x 1260 or something like that, but when I restarted the game it was set at 1280 x 1024.

I do hope the demo's a beta cos by my reckoning they got some serious issues to sort out. Kinda disappointing but if they sort out the probs the game looks to be very good indeed.

The machine I tried this on was the first one listed in my sig.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Update, I got myself the Xbox 360 pad.

My lap times are now way better than they were and i can really rag it round the course's usually sideways!! :D

The triggers are perfect, and after a few minutes tweakin the settings in game its rready to go. Great bit of kit. :thumb:

Also ordered Test Drive Unlimited. That should be good. :)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Update, I got myself the Xbox 360 pad.

My lap times are now way better than they were and i can really rag it round the course's usually sideways!! :D

The triggers are perfect, and after a few minutes tweakin the settings in game its rready to go. Great bit of kit. :thumb:

Also ordered Test Drive Unlimited. That should be good. :)

Is that really worth getting?

Cos I've been stuck on around level 16 of TOCA Race Driver 3 for a couple of months now.

It's the level where the first track is the small sized Brands Hatch and parts have been made into mud tracks, and it's raining. The second parts not so tricky, it's dry and sandy, but it's still hard.

Any help at all would be welcome to get past this level cos it's driving me nuts :D

And how does it connect? USB I'd imagine.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I like it yes, but i have played Xbox for as long as its been around. The triggers are great for racing games imo.

Yep USB just need to install the drivers first. :)

I played and completed TOCA 3 on the xbox and if its the level i think it is, yes it a bugger! What cars is it?

Ask a Question