Codemasters

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Really not too impressed with them, sad to say.

Mate of mine bought DIRT (Codemasters Racing Game) recently and couldn't get it to work on his 3Ghz Pentium 4 machine, built around 2004/05 but a fairly good machine, met the specs for the game.

So he gave it to me to try.

And I couldn't get it to work either.

It flat out refused to work on my Vista/Intel setup and on my AMD/XP setup, I couldn't get any one of three joypads to work with it, no matter what I tried, could only use keyboard.

Which is a shame cos it looks like a real good game.

Undeterred, I downloaded the huge (895Mb) demo of Codemasters' soon-to-be-released GRID game.

This actually crippled my gamepad (Logitech cordless rumblepad Mk 1) the light that flashes on the receiver stopped flashing each time I tried to set it up and the game wouldn't see the joypad anyway.

So I tried my Mk II cordless joypad - same thing.

So I tried ny X-Box 360 for PC joypad - same thing.

Beats me how Codemasters are still surviving to be honest, they seems to be a bit crap.

Now, I know V_R and some others of you managed to play DIRT but the fact it wouldn't work on at least three machines in this neck of the woods tells me something's wrong.

And as for Codemasters' demo of GRID, I honestly thought maybe my Logi Joypad had gone faulty on me but nope, it works fine with Need For Speed Underground 2 and Need For Speed Most Wanted. Within Vista as well, and they're both fairly old games now.

So, I'm a bit disappointed to say the least as decent racing games are fairly thin on the ground.

I will still say that about the best racing game I've ever played for sheer playablility, realism, variety & diversity is Codemasters' TOCA Race Driver 3. But it won't work with Vista. Ho hum.

If anybody else manages to play the GRID demo with a joypad or steering wheel, please let me know cos I just can't figure out why these games won't work properly for me.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Very strange, i've compleated Dirt and had zero probs at all, (Am on XP.) The xbox pad worked fine too.

Just downloading that Demo now, will let ya know. :)

GRID does look good, have to say, hope the handling is ok. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
GRID installed and working perfectly with 360 pad, and very good it is too! :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It is good isn't it? Graphics are superb.

But nigh on impossible to play using the keyboard.

I'm going to try the GRID demo on my AMD/XP/X-Box Pad machine.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, this GRID demo works fine on my AMD machine running XP Pro and the X-Box pad.

And I have to say this has the makings of possibly the best racing game I've ever tried.

The sense of speed is brilliant.

Loved the Mustang the best, then the BMW and didn't think much of the Nissan slidey thing at all.

The graphics, interface, damage engine, ambient sounds, force feedback and different driver views are all good.

Couldn't set the number of laps but that's probably cos it's a demo.

Takes some practice to get good at it and memorising the circuit and knowing exactly when to brake helps a great deal but I suppose you could say that of most racing games.

So, why didn't it work on my other machine with the gamepad?

One of two things - Windows Vista or the Logitech cordless gamepad. I may try the X-Box pad on the Vista machine but not right now, I be heading out.

Hopefully Codemasters will have sorted this problem out by time of final release.

This still doesn't explain why DIRT never worked on three different machines and OS's though, but I do note that there are lots of reports out there complaining of the same problem, so my friend and I are not alone.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, I may have jumped the gun with my original apraisal here.

All I said about the game DIRT still stands but I have now managed to get the GRID demo working within Vista.

First I used the X Box controller instead of the Logitech pad and it worked straight off (I did load the latest drivers from Microsoft prior to connecting it).

Disconnected that and tried the Logitech gampad controller again, still wouldn't work.

Loaded latest Logitech gamepad drivers and it worked within the GRID demo.

Oh crap. That simple it was. Latest drivers :blush:

And this game is great, a real sense of reckless speed. Will probably buy this when it's released. Even considering a steering wheel....

And just by way of mentioning, the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad Mk II has better control qualities than the X Box Controller, in my opinion, which I must confess surprised me.

But it is a marginal difference, there's hardly diddly squat in it.

Reaction score
I bought ToCA2 a few years ago not realising that most of the game is locked until you reach each stage.
Gave up playing games, if i buy a game i want to play all of it!!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, Glad its working Flops, shame you dont like the Drifting, thats my fav bit, great fun with ALL driver aids OFF!! :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
been playing the demo for a while now and am still having issues with the steering being waaay to sensitive even on the lowest settings, everything else is fine though, looks like it'll be a great game if it weren't for the lack of control

Ask a Question