Which old games would you like to see modernised?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I noticed this evening that Bayonetta is now available for PC on Steam so I just had to buy it, one of my most favourite games ever. It had actually been released two weeks ago but I'd never noticed.

I played this game a lot on the Xbox 360 and that version also works on the Xbox One. It costs £15.00 on Steam. It is 11 years old now but still plays well and the graphics are acceptable. It is a Japanese title so no surprise the title character is a bit pervy but not overly so, just hints of nekkidness without being obvious.

So I wondered, which old games that aren't currently compatible with modern PCs would you like to see revamped for current day release? GOG (Good Old Games) have done a fairly good job making many old games compatible with modern PCs but it has to be said with mixed results.

Here's a few games I'd like to play again:

1) Nocturne. A supernatural thriller game in 4 parts, each with a different monster theme, vampire, werewolf etc. It had a great atmosphere but a lousy camera interface.

2) TOCA Race Car 3. The first really good racing game I ever played, only works on Win XP.

3) Star Wars Episode One Racer. Just a good futuristic racing game.

4) Star Trek Voyager Elite Force. A FPS set on The Enterprise.

5) Goosebumps: Escape From Horrorland. A childrens game I bought for my kids but I played it through as well - good fun.

6) Kiss Psycho Circus - a good cartoony FPS

7) Breakneck - A racing game made in Germany that was a bit nutty.

I'm sure I'll think of more and there was a good James Bond game a whiles back but the title escapes me.

The only games console I ever played before getting a PC was a Sega Megadrive (Genesis) and most of the games for that can be had on ROMS for emulators. So I don't know any other early console games.

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Here are some games you won't recognize, because no one plays them any more.

1. ABLE-WHACKETS (1700s-1800s)

Able-whackets is a card game that was “very popular with horny-fisted salts,” according to The Sailors Word Book (1867). Although its rules are lost, what we do know is that the loser of each round would be whacked over the knuckles with a tightly-knotted handkerchief.

2. ARE YOU THERE, MORIARTY? (1800s-early 1900s)
Two players are blindfolded, given a rolled-up newspaper, and made to kneel down opposite one other. The first player asks, “Are you there, Moriarty?” to which his or her opponent replies, “Yes sir, I am here!” Player 1 then has to try and blindly hit Player 2 with the newspaper, judging where he is only by the sound of his voice. Player 2 can try to dodge the blow, but his knees must remain in place at all times.

3. BANDY-WICKET (1700s-1800s)
As well as being the name of a winter sport similar to ice hockey, a bandy is an L-shaped or J-shaped wooden bat. Bandy-wicket was an 18th century form of cricket played with bandies rather than cricket bats.

4. BARLEY-BREAK (1500s-1600s)
Three couples are each allotted to one of three squares drawn in a row on the floor. At the word “go,” the couple in the center square—referred to as “prison” or “Hell”—must try and catch one of the other two couples. All three couples must remain holding hands throughout the game, but the two couples being chased can split up and change partners at any time to avoid being caught. (Jacobean playwrights, incidentally, also liked to use barley-break as a euphemism for s*x.)

Surely some potential there. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'd love to see them make No-One Lives Forever 3 :thumb:

I'll probably play NOLF 1&2 again sometime, but I bet they will both look dated and awful.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh yes, the NOLF games were amazing - that's on my list too.

Other than that, I really enjoyed Transport Tycoon and Theme Hospital. Both very dated games, but I imagine they'd still be very fun. I tried OpenTTD, an opensource version of Transport Tycoon, but it'd a real time-sink of a game.

I quite enjoyed the old Star Trek Armada game too, although I don't know if it's the sort of thing I'd enjoy now.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just spent 10 mins trying to remember an old space game I used to enjoy, and found this after much Googling:

It's so much more dated than I remember :eek:.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good call on the No One Lives Forever games, I played both of them all the way through - very good they were. I think I still have the 2nd one in fact.

The version of Theme Hospital for sale on GOG runs on Win 7, I bought it for my daughter, which means it will probably work on Win 10.

Reaction score
in the Real Time Strategy version
and
Hot shots tennis by Strata an arcade from the nineties in the multiplayer for PC

Last edited:
Reaction score
I noticed this evening that Bayonetta is now available for PC on Steam so I just had to buy it, one of my most favourite games ever. It had actually been released two weeks ago but I'd never noticed.

I played this game a lot on the Xbox 360 and that version also works on the Xbox One. It costs £15.00 on Steam. It is 11 years old now but still plays well and the graphics are acceptable. It is a Japanese title so no surprise the title character is a bit pervy but not overly so, just hints of nekkidness without being obvious.

So I wondered, which old games that aren't currently compatible with modern PCs would you like to see revamped for current day release? GOG (Good Old Games) have done a fairly good job making many old games compatible with modern PCs but it has to be said with mixed results.

Here's a few games I'd like to play again:

1) Nocturne. A supernatural thriller game in 4 parts, each with a different monster theme, vampire, werewolf etc. It had a great atmosphere but a lousy camera interface.

2) TOCA Race Car 3. The first really good racing game I ever played, only works on Win XP.

3) Star Wars Episode One Racer. Just a good futuristic racing game.

4) Star Trek Voyager Elite Force. A FPS set on The Enterprise.

5) Goosebumps: Escape From Horrorland. A childrens game I bought for my kids but I played it through as well - good fun.

6) Kiss Psycho Circus - a good cartoony FPS

7) Breakneck - A racing game made in Germany that was a bit nutty.

I'm sure I'll think of more and there was a good James Bond game a whiles back but the title escapes me.

The only games console I ever played before getting a PC was a Sega Megadrive (Genesis) and most of the games for that can be had on ROMS for emulators. So I don't know any other early console games.

I'm not a great gamer but the best game I ever played was on the BBC B (the what ? I hear you say) - REPTON.
Great game, bought for my kids but spent a lot of time on it myself. Love to get one for PC Windows 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had a BBC Micro early 80's but it was mostly used for word processing. I do remember one game I played on it though - Chucky Egg, which was also available to play on Win 98 as I recall.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

This one , Grim Fandango has already been remastered but I did not want to start a new thread. I never played the original so can not compare the two versions.
This new offering, which was a freebie from GOG, is most enjoyable. Good looking graphics and great humour. Just started it and am really looking forward to hours of fun with it.
Oh and by the way it runs fabulously on Arch Linux. Install was simple and I start the game from a terminal using gf. Which is an alias I created much easier than typing grim-fandango every time.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, Grim Fandango, I paid money for that soon after the remastered version was released and have been playing it through.

There are four chapters or 'years' I think, I've played through the first one but am now completely lost part way through the second one.

And this despite consulting a walkthrough, the guide I have just doesn't seem to sync with the game itself.

Maybe I need a different walkthrough but it sure is frustrating.

But yes, good graphics, great humour, I'll agree on that.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ha ha I got lost in the first few minutes of playing GF. I took the wrong elevator as I did not see the second one. Wandered around totally lost and was so frustrated that I went looking for a walkthrough. Which I have used several time again.
Me and point and click games equals frustration. I am stuck in several of them. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I finished Mickey Mouse's World Of Illusion on The Sega Mega Drive which is no mean feat as there were no save options and if you died you went back to the beginning if I remember correctly.

I bought the remake for PC on Steam which disappointingly turned out to be a bit rubbish, stupidly difficult imo, I couldn't get past the first twenty minutes or so and it just didn't play or feel the same.

I believe there was a legal dispute over the PC title and it was withdrawn from sale but those who bought it while it was still available on Steam can still download it.

Probably worth seeking an emulator and ROM for that one, it was good.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I finished Mickey Mouse's World Of Illusion on The Sega Mega Drive which is no mean feat as there were no save options and if you died you went back to the beginning if I remember correctly.

I bought the remake for PC on Steam which disappointingly turned out to be a bit rubbish, stupidly difficult imo, I couldn't get past the first twenty minutes or so and it just didn't play or feel the same.

I believe there was a legal dispute over the PC title and it was withdrawn from sale but those who bought it while it was still available on Steam can still download it.

Probably worth seeking an emulator and ROM for that one, it was good.

http://www.completeroms.com/dl/sega-genesis/mickey-mouse-world-of-illusion-e-/109295

You can get the rom above and you should be able to get a decent emulator to run on Mint if you fancy a trip down memory lane. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
http://www.completeroms.com/dl/sega-genesis/mickey-mouse-world-of-illusion-e-/109295

You can get the rom above and you should be able to get a decent emulator to run on Mint if you fancy a trip down memory lane. :cool:

That only seems to be a link to 'download and install' Facebook Messenger which I am not going to do. Unless I'm missing something here. I may actually have the ROM for that one and a lot more Sega Megadrive games, I'll have to have a search.

I'm actually Linux-Less atm, running short of hard disks, I had Mint on a very old 750Gb SATA mechanical drive and it recently gave up the ghost. I suppose I could run from a Live install but just waiting to be paid for some work and I'll probably get an SSD drive or two.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That only seems to be a link to 'download and install' Facebook Messenger which I am not going to do. Unless I'm missing something here. I may actually have the ROM for that one and a lot more Sega Megadrive games, I'll have to have a search.

I'm actually Linux-Less atm, running short of hard disks, I had Mint on a very old 750Gb SATA mechanical drive and it recently gave up the ghost. I suppose I could run from a Live install but just waiting to be paid for some work and I'll probably get an SSD drive or two.

You must have gremlins. I tried the link before I posted and again just now. Takes me to a download link straight away, you have to wait for some seconds before the link is active. It did throw up a separate Fire Fox window with an advert for something but that closed ok. Can not say if the download was clean, looked ok, and I do not know much about roms. My experience may be different as I am running from my Arch install. I never ever do anything but connect to Steam and Microsoft update on my Windows pc.
breakfast.gif

Aria are doing a Samsung Evo 500 GB ssd for less than £110 inc postage at the moment which I think is a good deal and the ssd is a decent one. Mind you you can get some great deals on low end nvme's if you hunt around and they are miles faster.

:cool:

Ask a Question