Compacting folders

Robin Clay

Greetings !

I use Outlook Express, but actually delete few messages, and when I do, I
compact that folder. I frequently compact the "operational" folders - Inbox,
Sent Items, Outbox, Deleted Items & Drafts.

Despite this, the program sometimes keeps popping up a window offering to
compact my folders - every few minutes ! When I accept, it locks up the
computer for about ten mionutes while it does it - even if I accepted the
previous time a few minutes before !

My question is the same as was asked last December, but on that occasion the
LONG string of responses all concentrated on the pros and cons of compacting,
folder sizes, etc., but NONE actually addressed this question, which is :-

How can I stop the program from repeatedly asking me if I want to back up
the folders?

Regards

Robin

Bruce Hagen

Robin Clay said:
[...]

Well, this isn't the newsgroup I asked you to post in, but it'll have to do,
I suppose.

The Compact Prompt you see is an internal clock so to speak. After 100
closings of OE it will pop up. You must compact Folders.dbx to rid yourself
of the prompt for the next 100 closings. It cannot be shut off.

If you manually compact all folders, you also compact Folders.dbx and you
won't see the prompt again for another 100 closings. Compacting individual
folders will not reset the prompt.

Compact your folders in this manner and if it hangs , grab the blue banner
of the dialog box with the error message and drag it out of the way to see
the folder it is stuck on and report back.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Compact Your OE Folders:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

If you manually compact as described and continue to see the prompt long
before the next 100th closing, then that is a different issue we need to
deal with.

BTW. Posts are only retained in the MSNews reader, (not the Web interface
you posted from), for 90 days, so I have no idea what you read last
December. That was the main reason for asking you to start your own thread
in the Outlook Express newsgroup.

Bill in Co.

Robin said:
F****** Microsoft.

Thank you for your response.

Regards

Robin

The bottom line is that they need to be compacted periodically (otherwise
they become *very* bloated over time). So, you don't want to disable it.

vmanes

See the first item here http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm which shows
how you can reset the counter.

But, it is advisable to compact occaisionally. I found the hard way when my
Deleted folder was approaching 1GB - OE became really slow to load and
compacting would fail.

Val

Bill in Co. said:
The bottom line is that they need to be compacted periodically (otherwise
they become *very* bloated over time).
Granted.

So, you don't want to disable it.

You are So wrong ! Yes I DO want to prevent it from trying, every few
minutes, to run - even if it has run but a few minutes before - and locking
up my computer for five minutes to compact, if I let it !

*I* want to be able to choose to compact when *I* want to, not when the
blasted machine wants to - every few minutes !

Yes, this only happens about once a week - but it is infuriating when it
does !

Thanks for your response.

Regards

Robin

Robin Clay

Thank you for that link - WHAT a sweat !

I didn't ever say that I didn't want to compact - only that I get peeved
when it persistently askes to compact - even just a few minutes after it HAS
compacted !

Bruce Hagen

Robin Clay said:
You are So wrong ! Yes I DO want to prevent it from trying, every few
minutes, to run - even if it has run but a few minutes before - and
locking
up my computer for five minutes to compact, if I let it !

*I* want to be able to choose to compact when *I* want to, not when the
blasted machine wants to - every few minutes !

Yes, this only happens about once a week - but it is infuriating when it
does !

Thanks for your response.

Regards

Robin

May I ask how often you open and close OE? As I previously stated, the
compact prompt only pops up after 100 closings of OE.

I only close OE usually about twice a day, (14 times a week), prior to
shutting down the computer. If I don't want OE staring me in the face, I
just minimize it. I manually compact about once a week, but at my rate, I
could go 6 or 7 weeks without seeing the prompt.

Now if you see the prompt more often that 100 closings, then there is
another issue we need to discuss.

Bruce Hagen

<QP>
it persistently askes to compact - even just a few minutes after it HAS
compacted !
</QP>

Then you /do/ have another problem.

The problem is with the registry counter that gives you the prompt after 100
closings of OE. It is being increased quicker than it should be and even if
you are not using OE.

There is a growing number of programs and actions that may be causing this
after installing SP3. Do you have any of the following?

IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL
Windows {Desktop} Search
Mailwasher
Nero plug-in(s)

Opening EML files while OE is closed will also contribute to the registry
count.

Various anti-virus, anti-spyware and third party firewalls, especially if
they were running when you installed SP3.

Archived thread discussing this issue in June 2008:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ss.general/browse_frm/thread/fcd35fbfa457fd6f

In the case of Windows Desktop Search, (the #1 offender), you have to tell
it to stop indexing OE.

Windows {Desktop} Search. Set Desktop Search Options:
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/windows/desktopsearch/search/options.mspx

In Windows {Desktop} Search: Control Panel | Indexing Options. Click: Modify
and clear the check box for Outlook Express.

In the case of Nero Scout, see Item 2.3 on page 8 here.
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero8/scout/NeroScout_Enu.pdf

In the option to exclude selected file types from indexing, be sure to add
these file types:

..eml, .dbx & .nws

Bill in Co.

Bruce said:
May I ask how often you open and close OE? As I previously stated, the
compact prompt only pops up after 100 closings of OE.

I only close OE usually about twice a day, (14 times a week), prior to
shutting down the computer. If I don't want OE staring me in the face, I
just minimize it. I manually compact about once a week, but at my rate, I
could go 6 or 7 weeks without seeing the prompt.

Now if you see the prompt more often that 100 closings, then there is
another issue we need to discuss.

Sounds like that might be the case here.

BTW, is there any utility available that will allow some of us to get it
back to the way it used to be (pre XP-SP2)? Where OE would automatically
compact the folders in the background, after opening OE, so I don't have to
continue doing this thing manually all the time? It's a bit of a nuisance,
and it used to be automatic.

(And yes, I know the "reason" MS removed it, but I want it back. :)

Bruce Hagen

Bill in Co. said:
Sounds like that might be the case here.

BTW, is there any utility available that will allow some of us to get it
back to the way it used to be (pre XP-SP2)? Where OE would automatically
compact the folders in the background, after opening OE, so I don't have
to continue doing this thing manually all the time? It's a bit of a
nuisance, and it used to be automatic.

(And yes, I know the "reason" MS removed it, but I want it back. :)

The only way to get OE to compact in the background is to remove SP2+ which
would not be a reasonable idea IMHO.

Bill in Co.

Bruce said:
The only way to get OE to compact in the background is to remove SP2+
which would not be a reasonable idea IMHO.

Yeah, removing SP2 doesn't sound too good!

Thanks Bruce, and that's about what I figured.
Well, I had thought that maybe I could change the relevant registry counter
key from a value of 99 down to 0, or something like that, but I expect it
would get reset upon rebooting.

Ditto on a program that automatically automatically removes old OE newsgroup
messages after xx days, instead of MY manually having to apply a rule to
remove messages after xx days, which is a real nuisance (as it quickly gets
bloated, and stays that way (and gets worse over time) - unless YOU manually
apply that rule on a routine basis).

Bruce Hagen

Bill in Co. said:
Yeah, removing SP2 doesn't sound too good!

Thanks Bruce, and that's about what I figured.
Well, I had thought that maybe I could change the relevant registry
counter key from a value of 99 down to 0, or something like that, but I
expect it would get reset upon rebooting.

Ditto on a program that automatically automatically removes old OE
newsgroup messages after xx days, instead of MY manually having to apply a
rule to remove messages after xx days, which is a real nuisance (as it
quickly gets bloated, and stays that way (and gets worse over time) -
unless YOU manually apply that rule on a routine basis).

Newsgroup messages from msnews older than 90 days will be removed when you
sync or download new messages. Myself, I don't keep any threads older than
10 days. If I want to remove posts, I just click on the firs and last (with
the Shift key down and then Delete. AFAIC, it's easier than manually
applying a rule.

I do have a "# Of Days" rule though, but only so if I Go To or Subscribe To
an NG, it only downloads the amount of days I have it set for.

If you haven't already, see the last reply I made to Robin. It is a known
issue, but up till then, reoccurring prompts were never mentioned by Robin.

Bennett Marco

Bill in Co. said:
Yeah, removing SP2 doesn't sound too good!

Thanks Bruce, and that's about what I figured.
Well, I had thought that maybe I could change the relevant registry counter
key from a value of 99 down to 0, or something like that, but I expect it
would get reset upon rebooting.

Ditto on a program that automatically automatically removes old OE newsgroup
messages after xx days, instead of MY manually having to apply a rule to
remove messages after xx days, which is a real nuisance (as it quickly gets
bloated, and stays that way (and gets worse over time) - unless YOU manually
apply that rule on a routine basis).

My newsreader (Forte Agent) auto-purges - per my configuration - every
time I collect new messages.

Bill in Co.

Bruce said:
Newsgroup messages from msnews older than 90 days will be removed when you
sync or download new messages.

I never use sync, but I am automatically downloading new messages each time
I go online (I'm on dialup) and use OE to view the newsgroups (which is
throughout the day).

Older than 90 days is waaay too long - I need to have them deleted after a
week, or the dbx files grow too much.
Myself, I don't keep any threads older than
10 days. If I want to remove posts, I just click on the firs and last
(with
the Shift key down and then Delete. AFAIC, it's easier than manually
applying a rule.

Well, with the rule, I can do it quickly to several subscribed newsgroups,
and I don't have to select any posts to do that, so thats easier for me.
And the only newsgroups I monitor ARE the ones I'm already subscribed to.
I do have a "# Of Days" rule though, but only so if I Go To or Subscribe
an NG, it only downloads the amount of days I have it set for.

If you haven't already, see the last reply I made to Robin. It is a known
issue, but up till then, reoccurring prompts were never mentioned by
Robin.

Looked but not sure what "known issue" you're referring to.
On resetting the counter? I don't recall your mentioning the specific
registry key,, but I know it exists, and could probably find it. But I
don't think it will allow me to get the same behavior as in pre-SP2, no
matter what value I set it to (like 100). It would be reset upon next
bootup, anyways.

Bill in Co.

Bennett said:
My newsreader (Forte Agent) auto-purges - per my configuration - every
time I collect new messages.

Suppose I could go to a third party one, but OE is soooo convenient (for
BOTH Mail and News), as it seemlessly integrates with IE.

Bruce Hagen

Through all this, Robin never mentioned that OE wanted to compact even after
compacting until this post below.

Copied and pasted from the latest reply I made to Robin.

<QP>

--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Bill in Co. said:
[...]

Well, don't ya know I replied to the wrong post, so here it is again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Through all this, Robin never mentioned that OE wanted to compact even after
compacting until this post below.

Copied and pasted from the latest reply I made to Robin.

<QP>

Bruce said:
Well, don't ya know I replied to the wrong post, so here it is again.

Through all this, Robin never mentioned that OE wanted to compact even
after
compacting until this post below.

Copied and pasted from the latest reply I made to Robin.

<read and snipped>
OK, and I don't know what Robin found out either, at this point, and maybe
she'll test it out a bit further. But those weren't the points I was
referring to in our somewhat related exchanges here, anyways. :)