command failed to execute for e-mail attachments

keith

following other posts;
after installing automatic updates:ie8, winmail, Vista sp2, error message "
command failed to execute" when attempting to open any type of attachment.

only work around found is to save the attachment to a different folder then
open.

This is very annoying, it is un-believeable that MS would sabotage their own
products with updates that DONT WORK, and I would expect a MS fix soon.

Rainald Taesler

keith said:
following other posts;
after installing automatic updates:ie8, winmail, Vista sp2, error
message " command failed to execute" when attempting to open any type
of attachment.

only work around found is to save the attachment to a different
folder then open.

Another workaround which reduces the problem to JPG and TXT files:
Right-click on the shortcut that you use to open Windows Mail. Select
Properties. In the field labeled 'Start in' change the entered value to
%UserProfile%. Click OK. Restart Windows Mail and try opening
attachments.
This is very annoying, it is un-believeable that MS would sabotage
their own products with updates that DONT WORK, and I would expect a
MS fix soon.

Yes, the bug is indeed annoying.
But so far nobody knows the reason if the problem.

Rainald

PA Bear [MS MVP]

WinMail: Tools | Options | Security | Block images... <=if you
disable/uncheck this option, does the behavior persist?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
<=Just asking for now!!

Dick

I am having the same problem. "command failed to execute". Microsoft must
monitor these discussions and be aware of the problem. My question is to
microsoft: What the heck are you people thinking or doing about this? We
trust you to provide a product that is helpful. Somebody needs a poke in the
butt and told to solve this problem.

Gary VanderMolen

As far as we know, Microsoft doesn't monitor this newsgroup since
Windows Mail has been deprecated in favor of the newer Windows
Live Mail.

I have informed Microsoft of the problem, but at this point I don't know
if they will assign resources to fix it, since
a) it only affects a small percentage of users, and
b) their recommendation is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://download.live.com/wlmail

Rainald Taesler

Gary said:
As far as we know, Microsoft doesn't monitor this newsgroup since
Windows Mail has been deprecated in favor of the newer Windows
Live Mail.

AFAICS the NGs are hardly monitored at all :-( :-(
At least the NGs are no medium for reaching "responsible" people at MS
at all.
I have informed Microsoft of the problem, but at this point I don't
know
if they will assign resources to fix it, since
a) it only affects a small percentage of users, and
b) their recommendation is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://download.live.com/wlmail

A really bad "company policies" decision, IMHO.
I for one estimate WLM as a really mediocre instrument and never ever
would recommend that to anyone not being in my lost of enemies.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Dick said:
I am having the same problem. "command failed to execute".
Microsoft must monitor these discussions and be aware of the problem.

Your word into God's ear!!
They "must"?
They *should*!!
But what if they don't??

So far nobody knows what they do and what not :-( :-(
My question is to microsoft: What the heck are you people thinking or
doing about this? We trust you to provide a product that is helpful.
Somebody needs a poke in the butt and told to solve this problem.

The way these newsgroups work, I seriously doubt that you might be heard
{siiiigh}\.

Sadly Yours
Rainald

Rainald Taesler

PA said:
WinMail: Tools | Options | Security | Block images... <=if you
disable/uncheck this option, does the behavior persist?

Having read (and posted uncountable times) on the "IE8-WinMail"-bug for
quite some time now, you might meanwhile know that the suggestion posted
here is absolutely in vain.
What you suggest does not help at all in cases where a system is
affected by the bug.
What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if
any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when
you installed IE8?

(e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
it)?

Would you at least *listen* to what has been said here and/or read
replies you should meanwhile know for certain that Anti-Virus apps of
any kind are definitely *NOT* part of the game.

So pleeeease refrain from further mis-leading people who are suffering
from the bug.
Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of
IE8? <=Just asking for now!!

Yes, a restore point would help!
But just uninstalling IE8 with the normal means will have the same
results.

Sorry to say so, but I really can not understand why someone being that
experienced as you are just doesn't want see and sticks with obsolete
theories instead {siiiiigh}

Rainald

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Repost:

WinMail: Tools | Options | Security | Block images... <=if you
disable/uncheck this option, does the behavior persist?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
<=Just asking for now!!

Rainald Taesler

Repost
[...]

Emilio2000

Another person, named Silverhawk, came up with the correct solution (in a
different thread). It appears that an automatic update of Windows Mail
caused the link used to open Windows Mail to not work properly. Delete the
link, and then create a new one from the basic program in the Start "All
Programs" menu. Here's how Silverhawk describes it:

I noticed that if I start windows mail from
the IE8 browser, then it appears to work ok. But if I start windows mail from
the start menu, that is when I have problems. With that all said. I went to
the start menu and removed the shortcut from the start menu, then I went to
the applacation source and started the program from there, and tried it again.
And everything seems to be working fine. I then re-pinned it back into the
start menu.

van

I tried in type in the phrase
%UserProfile%, but it would not let me. the curser would not go into that
space. I am runnin Vista Home Premium on a brand new ASUS high end laptop.
BTW I can asscess attachments by first saving to my documents then opening,
but I want to do this by only double clicking the attachments. This happens

smd1

yeah I had the fail to execute on an email it was only a text document so I
saved it to 'documents' then opened from there using a word processing
program. a bit roundabout I know but it worked.

Cindy

So, why did this suddenly start to happen? Is it Vista? It really is VERY
annoying to save attachments elsewhere in order to open them.... Is there a
"cure"?

SICK of Microsoft & Vista problems!

You know, I have a 1.3 year old Dell Quad core with Vista and Windows Mail.
I am fed up with Microsoft and all their problems. THIS IS THE LAST PC FOR
ME! The audacity of Microsoft and Best Buy to show commercials of people
looking for a computer at Best Buy and chosing a PC over an IMAC or APPLE is
amazing. "They chose a PC". Yeah, they chose a PC and had to deal with
THESE *$(#ING problems! ANNOYING! This isn't the ONLY problem with Vista.
Problem and problem, update after update, it's never ending. Even my LAST XP
computer had a million updates. My next machine will be an IMAC. I'm done
with Microsoft. They couldn't figure their way out of a paper bag!

Sam Hobbs

Good. Then go away. Your comments are not accomplishing anything and is a
waste of your time.

"SICK of Microsoft & Vista problems!" <SICK of Microsoft & Vista
[email protected]> wrote in message

SICK of Microsoft & Vista problems!

Well maybe YOU can fix their problems.
1) Consistent SCRIPT errors when I open certain emails on Windows Mail.
2) Pictures not available to be OPENED, but they SOMETIMES appear in the
body of the email.

What next? What else? How many MORE problems? If Microsoft can't design a
decent piece of software, then WHAT GOOD ARE THEY? There is never any direct
link or easy way to contact them because they have gotten too big.

These problems are annoying. I depend on this machine to work. The
computer is great, the software stinks! It's impossible to find a solution.

I have heard solutions ranging from "It's a bug and no fix is out yet",
"Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Mail, and has abandoned fixes....and
they are now focusing on Windows Live"???? WTF? and finally, my favority "A
man from India has an application which fixes this"....it goes on to say how
bad Microsoft is because they can't even fix their problem or even realize
they have one.

The other issue with Vista is a script error I got associated with what I
believe is Adobe or an add on associated with www.zillow.com, when you click
on birdseye view.

WHY SO MANY PROBLEMS?
Surely you can see my frustration!

Gary VanderMolen

I suggest you read through the Mac user forums, where you'll see that
Apple products have nearly as many problems as Microsoft's.
The advantage that Apple has is that the hardware is designed and built
in-house, but that translates to higher prices because of less competition.

What is your objection to upgrading your email program to Windows
Live Mail ?