closing IE windows

chas

sometimes when I try to close an IE window by clicking
the 'x' in the upper right hand corner I it will not
close and I get a red circle with an X through it.
Sometines the window will close when I click on the _ but
only after I have gone through the clicking of the 'x'.
IE has become very annoying and I have been using
Netscape as an alternative and getting fewer popups. I
would like to use IE all the time but between the popups
and the difficulty in closing IE windows it becomes a
chore whenever I am surfing the net.

Thanks Don:
I have done most of the things suggested on the web site
and now the closing of the pages seem normal. Another
annoyance I have is that occasionally SpyBot will detect
and inform that a file 'wowex32' wants to be installed.
I always click 'no' but it reappears about every 5-10 min
when I am on the web. Any suggestions.
chas.........

Both of these problems indicate a problem with adware, spyware, parasites.

See: Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Regards,
Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org
"chas" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
sometimes when I try to close an IE window by clicking
the 'x' in the upper right hand corner I it will not
close and I get a red circle with an X through it.
Sometines the window will close when I click on the _ but
only after I have gone through the clicking of the 'x'.
IE has become very annoying and I have been using
Netscape as an alternative and getting fewer popups. I
would like to use IE all the time but between the popups
and the difficulty in closing IE windows it becomes a
chore whenever I am surfing the net.

.

DVarnau

chas,
wowex32 indicaes the peper trojan. It uses random filenames so removal is
tricky. Do this:

Go to http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip , and download 'Hijack
This!'.
Unzip it and make sure it is unzipped & placed into it's own folder, not a
temporary folder. Then doubleclick the Hijackthis.exe.
Click the "Scan" button, when the scan is finished the scan button will
become "Save Log" click that and save the log.

Go to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
Register for the forums and post (copy and paste) that log with a meaningful
subject (like peper trojan) to the forum at
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?s=63e536f0030d3b370d8046aeca5552d3&showforum=11
Someone will take you through the cleanup process.

Don