CHKDSK freezes

Panagiotis Tarnanas

Hello.
I am running xp sp1, and every time I run checkdisk, the
system hangs when it reaches 40 percent of phase 1. Then,
I have to cycle off the power.
I checked my ram and it is ok. I have not intalled any new
hardware.
How can i check if it is a problem with my disk?
thank you

Benny Fu

Dear Panagiotis,

Thank you for your posting.

In regards to the issue, it may relate to the disk errors or the conflicted
processes loaded in the background. Please check the issue in Safe Mode
first.

To boot Windows XP into Safe Mode, let us follow the instruction below:

1. Start the computer, when the Boot Menu appears at startup, press F8. (Or
keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.)

2. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode and press Enter.

3. When the Boot Menu appears again, select Microsoft Windows XP
Professional, and press Enter.

4. Log in Windows by using the Administrator account and password.
NOTE: The password is blank by default unless you already set a password.

Check if you can run chkdsk command successfully in Safe Mode.

In addition, you can use the disk defragmenter to scan the disk for errors.

More Information
----------------
218461 Description of Enhanced Chkdsk, Autochk, and Chkntfs Tools in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=218461

It is also for Windows XP information.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,
Benny Fu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

Benny Fu

Dear Panos,

Thank you for your reply.

From your reply, I understand that the issue still existed. It seems that
the disk volumn has the errors on it. Let us try to repair it as follows:

To run "Chkdsk" utility, we generally run it under DOS Prompt mode:

1. Click Start => Run, type "cmd" and then click OK.
2. In the command mode, please type "chkdsk c: /f" and then perform
scanning of C: drive with the "fix" parameter.
3. Periodically run "Chkdsk (drive letter): /f" to perform checking for all
your hard drives.

If this does not work, I appreciate your assist in collecting a screenshot
of the error you receive.

1). When the error message appears, press the PrScrn key (the key right to
F12 key in the keyboard).
2). Click Start, click Run, then type MSPAINT in the Open box, and click
OK.
3). In the MS Paint window, click the Edit menu and click Paste.
4). Click File, click Save, and save the picture as an image file (.jpg)
and upload it in this thread.

In addition, I would like to confirm one point with you:

Does the error occur when you run chkdsk command in Safe Mode? Does the
command run properly?

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,
Benny Fu