Windows 7 check disk / dirty bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I cannot run check disk because it freezes on the countdown.

It says on my computer that I have a dirty bit so I NEED to run checkdisk.

Checkdisk will not run because when the countdown occurs on startup the clock freezes before it reaches 0.

All the forums seem to be for one or the other - stop check disk from running because it is freezing OR how to run a check disk.

I know how to run the check disk and have tried repeatledly through command prompt (ensuring I am an admin and all that) And it DOES work and sets a check disk for the next restart.

Buit then when I restart the countdown locks up and the check never actually happens. I am trying to back up my drive and it says that I can't because there are too many dirty bits and it is really getting annoying.

I am running windows 7, with AVG free and no spyware that I am aware of. I dont really know what spyware is... anyway...

I have a dual core intel T9600 @2.8 GHz and 6GB of RAM and it also says 64 bit operating system.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCReview

try ...

Start / Run
then type in CMD and type " fsutil dirty query c: " ... no quotes and assuming drive C is the dirty drive in question.

This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. ;)

Next, type “ CHKNTFS /X C: ” ... no quotes. The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive (C) on the next reboot. Reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and type in “ CHKDSK /f /r c: ” ... no quotes, there are spaces ther. This should unset that dirty bit.

Finally, type “ fsutil dirty query c: ” and Windows will/should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Good luck!

:user:

Reaction score
ok so I did all that and I get a response saying that is could not lock the current drive as it is in use by another process.

Then it goes back to asking if I want to schedule a check at restart. If I do schedule one then on restart - it then locks up as before on the countdown and does not run.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi skiczn,

CHKDSK depends on complete and unrestricted entry to your computer's hard drive. If you don't turn your computer off correctly or if your system encounters an error and shuts down then CHKDSK will often launch itself.

[mucks edit ... spam link removed, have a nice day :wave: ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question