Windows 7 check disk / dirty bit

Reaction score
Because some idiot closed the last thread before the question was answered (thanks Speedypcnet - next time try reading the question before you decide something is closed.) I have to repost this....

I cannot run check disk because it freezes on the countdown.

It says on my computer that I have a dirty bit so I NEED to run checkdisk.

Checkdisk will not run because when the countdown occurs on startup the clock freezes before it reaches 0.

All the forums seem to be for one or the other - stop check disk from running because it is freezing OR how to run a check disk.

I know how to run the check disk and have tried repeatledly through command prompt (ensuring I am an admin and all that) And it DOES work and sets a check disk for the next restart.

Buit then when I restart the countdown locks up and the check never actually happens. I am trying to back up my drive and it says that I can't because there are too many dirty bits and it is really getting annoying.

I am running windows 7, with AVG free and no spyware that I am aware of. I dont really know what spyware is... anyway...

I have a dual core intel T9600 @2.8 GHz and 6GB of RAM and it also says 64 bit operating system.

I was advised to do the following -

Start / Run
then type in CMD and type " fsutil dirty query c: " ... no quotes and assuming drive C is the dirty drive in question.

This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. ;)

Next, type “ CHKNTFS /X C: ” ... no quotes. The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive (C) on the next reboot. Reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and type in “ CHKDSK /f /r c: ” ... no quotes, there are spaces ther. This should unset that dirty bit.

Finally, type “ fsutil dirty query c: ” and Windows will/should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

However I ran into an issue doing this -

ok so I did all that and I get a response saying that is could not lock the current drive as it is in use by another process.

Then it goes back to asking if I want to schedule a check at restart. If I do schedule one then on restart - it then locks up as before on the countdown and does not run.

Any ideas?

speedypcnet thought that the solution was to tell me that my computer had something wrong with it and close the thread. Can someone please help me with a solution I can use.

thanks

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
skiczn said:
Because some idiot closed the last thread before the question was answered (thanks Speedypcnet - next time try reading the question before you decide something is closed.) I have to repost this....

speedypcnet thought that the solution was to tell me that my computer had something wrong with it and close the thread. Can someone please help me with a solution I can use.

thanks
He didn't close the thread.... He spammed it and one of the moderating team banned him and closed it. ;)

The other thread in question is here for anyone else....
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-4026938.php

I am running windows 7, with AVG free and no spyware that I am aware of. I dont really know what spyware is... anyway...
How do you know you dont have any if your unsure what it actually is? Oh and AVG Isn't all that to be honest.

Out of interest is the drive healthy? As in is it about to die?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Only Mods can close threads, and that was me ... :)

it then locks up ..
This is suggestive of a failing hard drive, where the low-level driver code gets trapped in a retry loop (repeatedly trying to read a bad sector, when bad CRC causes the access to be considered "failed").

If what I suggested has not worked, then you probably need a new hard drive. :(

Once the new HD is setup, you may be able to recover Data off the "dirty" drive by installing it as a secondary drive.

If this seems to much for you, consider taking the system to a good PC shop you trust.

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Only Mods can close threads, and that was me ... :)

This is suggestive of a failing hard drive, where the low-level driver code gets trapped in a retry loop (repeatedly trying to read a bad sector, when bad CRC causes the access to be considered "failed").

If what I suggested has not worked, then you probably need a new hard drive. :(

Once the new HD is setup, you may be able to recover Data off the "dirty" drive by installing it as a secondary drive.

If this seems to much for you, consider taking the system to a good PC shop you trust.

:user:

Actually, in this case the problem is not bad hardware, it is a legitimate windows bug on certain system configurations and can be fixed with KB975778

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I agree that the drive seems to be failing. I would recommend checking out some alternate, non-windows related, tools to test your hardware. For example, SeaTools for DOS is used to test Seagate brand hard drives for proper function. You can find it at http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

This is a bootable CD image that can be used to start your machine and directly test the hard drive.

The Ultimate Boot CD image is excellent for hardware testing. It contains all manufacturers of hard drives testing software. Check the manufacturer of your hard drive and use the correct software and you could identify whether the issue is hardware related or not. You can find this software at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Device manager should show you the manufacturer of the drive if the proper drivers are loaded. For example, WDC WD1600YS is a Western Digital drive and would require the Western Digital diagnostic tool to properly test the unit. If you still cannot find the manufacturer, the fail safe is to pop the side of the case off and check the drive physically.

Reaction score

No.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975778

• A countdown timer is displayed and you are prompted to press any key if you want to skip the disk check. However, after you press a key, the countdown timer continues. Eventually, the system may stop responding at the count of 1, or start without performing the disk check.
  • The countdown timer is not displayed and the disk check starts immediately.
  • The countdown timer is displayed. However, the disk check starts before the countdown timer reaches zero.

Ask a Question