cant install office proffessional 2003, plz help!

ok, it started when i got a virus and some things go delted that shouldnt
have been, after i got rid of the virus and got all my stuff back, i noticed
that ic ant open Word or anything from Office pro 2003. it gives me a pop-up
error saying that it is a netowkr resource and its looking for the file
"511735.MAINSP1.op.msp" it gives me a browse option and it starts out witha
file path of "C:\program files/Office Update11/Cabs/...
and i have tryed to reinstall office, but it gives me the same error when i
run setup.exe on the disc. so far i have managed to get office 200 back up
until i get this figured out but any help would be really useful at this
point. thanks

Ramesh, MS-MVP

1. Uninstall Office 2003
2. Use the Windows Installer Cleanup utility to remove the MSI information
for Office products
3. Reinstall Office 2003

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility - Description:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/msiclean.htm

Related article - but written for Office XP:

"Please point setup to the path 510581.Winword.msp" error message when you
repair, remove, or reinstall an Office program or add a new component:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324637/en-us

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"Patrick Who Needs Some Help" <Patrick Who Needs Some
news:[email protected]...

thank you Ramesh that helps, but i have a problem opening the regedit in run
as it says on the second link you gave me, it opens the command box and then
exits by itself, i havent messed with it or anything so i dont know whats
wrong with it. thanks again.

Ramesh thank you so much so far
but i have hit another snag :(
the second link that you gave me after fixing the regedit file, it tels me
to go to
"\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Patches" when i expand
"\installer" there is no "\patches" file in there. is it ok to skip that step?

yes i have done the windows installer cleanup and i have delted everything
with "micfrost office" in the name.
and yes again another problem :)
the second part of the "Please point setup to the path 510581.Winword.msp"
thingy, is although i skipped the first part, the second part im not sure it
is there either, or im missing it. i find a "productname" but in the data
collumn i get like "norton-antivirus", or some other file. im not sure if
thats right and i dont know which one to export or whatever, or if im missing
the file completely.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Skip that article as well, as MSI cleanup utility may have removed the entry
already. Now, try reinstalling Office.