Canon MP830 "specified port is unknown" error message

Reaction score
I just purchased a Canon Pixma MP830 multi-function device. I have installed the drivers following Canon's instructions but reached a problem when first the device was not detected during the installation. I have since completely removed the software and drivers for it and attempted a reinstall of them.

This time it detected the device easily however then asked for the Windows CD, which I supplied, but it was unable to find the files it was after (usbscan.sys and usbprint.sys).

I tried downloading the latest driver from the website however it did not contain these files, so I went to a system file website and downloaded the two. With these files the installation continued happily until the end when it informed me the device would not work quoting the error:
"Specified port is unknown"

I would appreciate any help :)

EDIT: just some further info, I checked the device manager and found no errors. The MP830 is listed under Scanners & Imaging Devices, and I just tried scanning which worked. However the device is not listed under Printers.

Last edited:

Ask a Question