Canon Pixma MP830: Scanner not working (TWAIN)/WIN XP SP2 prof.

Discussion in 'Scanners' started by Udo, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. Udo

    Udo Guest

    Hello,

    I have a really crazy problem. Just bought a Canon Pixma MP830
    (basiclly a great MFP, with some minor restrictions). I can print, but
    not scan. No difference when I start scanning via the device or PC. OS
    WIN XP SP2 prof., interesting is that scanning via the WIA-driver is
    possible, but not with the TWAIN-driver. Other PC tested, no problems.

    When I use my MP830 as the TWAIN-source with my Paint Shop Pro 7.00 I
    can select two drivers:
    1. Twain Canon MP830 11.2 (32-32)
    2. WIA-Canon MP830 1.0 (32-32)
    Only 2. is working.

    Using MP Navigator 2.2 (the software provided by Canon) for scanning, I
    get only the message that scanning is not possible.
    After starting scanning from the device itself a window pops up where I
    can select which program should be used as destination. When I select
    MP Navigator 2.2 nothing happens.

    Any hints?

    Many thanks in advance
    Udo

    Udo, Dec 5, 2006

  2. Udo

    CSM1 Guest

    "Udo" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a really crazy problem. Just bought a Canon Pixma MP830
    > (basiclly a great MFP, with some minor restrictions). I can print, but
    > not scan. No difference when I start scanning via the device or PC. OS
    > WIN XP SP2 prof., interesting is that scanning via the WIA-driver is
    > possible, but not with the TWAIN-driver. Other PC tested, no problems.
    >
    > When I use my MP830 as the TWAIN-source with my Paint Shop Pro 7.00 I
    > can select two drivers:
    > 1. Twain Canon MP830 11.2 (32-32)
    > 2. WIA-Canon MP830 1.0 (32-32)
    > Only 2. is working.

    Remove the WIA driver.

    Windows XP only allows one or the other driver. You have to choose which
    driver you want to use and install only that driver. TWAIN is the best
    Driver.

    After removing the WIA driver, you may have to re-install the Canon
    software, be sure you have chosen the TWAIN driver.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Dec 5, 2006

  3. Udo

    Udo Guest

    Hello CSM1,

    thanks for your answer.

    > > I have a really crazy problem. Just bought a Canon Pixma MP830
    > > (basiclly a great MFP, with some minor restrictions). I can print, but
    > > not scan. No difference when I start scanning via the device or PC. OS
    > > WIN XP SP2 prof., interesting is that scanning via the WIA-driver is
    > > possible, but not with the TWAIN-driver. Other PC tested, no problems.
    > >
    > > When I use my MP830 as the TWAIN-source with my Paint Shop Pro 7.00 I
    > > can select two drivers:
    > > 1. Twain Canon MP830 11.2 (32-32)
    > > 2. WIA-Canon MP830 1.0 (32-32)
    > > Only 2. is working.
    > >

    > Remove the WIA driver.
    >
    > Windows XP only allows one or the other driver. You have to choose which
    > driver you want to use and install only that driver. TWAIN is the best
    > Driver.
    >
    > After removing the WIA driver, you may have to re-install the Canon
    > software, be sure you have chosen the TWAIN driver.

    I don't understand which part of the WIA driver is from the OS and
    which part from Canon.

    First I have removed MP Navigator 2.2. But how can I remove the WIA
    driver? When I uninstall the driver by using the Device Manager and I
    connect the MP830 again via the USB the driver is active again.
    I can't select the TWAIN driver when I install MP Navigator 2.2.

    Thanks for additional hints
    Udo

    Udo, Dec 5, 2006
  4. Udo

    CSM1 Guest

    "Udo" <> wrote in message
    > Hello CSM1,
    >
    > thanks for your answer.
    >
    >> > I have a really crazy problem. Just bought a Canon Pixma MP830
    >> > (basiclly a great MFP, with some minor restrictions). I can print, but
    >> > not scan. No difference when I start scanning via the device or PC. OS
    >> > WIN XP SP2 prof., interesting is that scanning via the WIA-driver is
    >> > possible, but not with the TWAIN-driver. Other PC tested, no problems.
    >> >
    >> > When I use my MP830 as the TWAIN-source with my Paint Shop Pro 7.00 I
    >> > can select two drivers:
    >> > 1. Twain Canon MP830 11.2 (32-32)
    >> > 2. WIA-Canon MP830 1.0 (32-32)
    >> > Only 2. is working.
    >> >

    >> Remove the WIA driver.
    >>
    >> Windows XP only allows one or the other driver. You have to choose which
    >> driver you want to use and install only that driver. TWAIN is the best
    >> Driver.
    >>
    >> After removing the WIA driver, you may have to re-install the Canon
    >> software, be sure you have chosen the TWAIN driver.

    > I don't understand which part of the WIA driver is from the OS and
    > which part from Canon.
    >
    > First I have removed MP Navigator 2.2. But how can I remove the WIA
    > driver? When I uninstall the driver by using the Device Manager and I
    > connect the MP830 again via the USB the driver is active again.
    > I can't select the TWAIN driver when I install MP Navigator 2.2.
    >
    > Thanks for additional hints
    > Udo

    Read your Canon Getting started Guide!

    If you have the scanner plugged into USB, Windows will automatically install
    the built-in WIA driver. You must install the Canon Software before plugging
    in the Canon.

    Unplug the Scanner and printer from USB. (IMPORTANT!)
    Remove the WIA driver. (This may be from Device Manager or Add/Remove
    programs).
    Reboot the computer.
    Install the Canon Software.
    Reboot the computer.
    Plug the USB cable back in. Turn on the Canon scanner/printer.

    In Windows XP you must install any manufactures software before connecting
    any device.

    CSM1, Dec 5, 2006
  5. Udo

    Udo Guest

    Hello CSM1,

    thanks for your infos.

    > >> Remove the WIA driver.
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP only allows one or the other driver. You have to choose which
    > >> driver you want to use and install only that driver. TWAIN is the best
    > >> Driver.
    > >>
    > >> After removing the WIA driver, you may have to re-install the Canon
    > >> software, be sure you have chosen the TWAIN driver.

    > > I don't understand which part of the WIA driver is from the OS and
    > > which part from Canon.
    > >
    > > First I have removed MP Navigator 2.2. But how can I remove the WIA
    > > driver? When I uninstall the driver by using the Device Manager and I
    > > connect the MP830 again via the USB the driver is active again.
    > > I can't select the TWAIN driver when I install MP Navigator 2.2.
    > >
    > > Thanks for additional hints
    > > Udo

    > Read your Canon Getting started Guide!

    I'm >>20 years in the business and nevertheless I always read the
    manual ;).

    > If you have the scanner plugged into USB, Windows will automatically install
    > the built-in WIA driver. You must install the Canon Software before plugging
    > in the Canon.

    I have the drivers/software installed before I plugged in the USB-
    cable (not only one time...). That's not the problem - btw just for
    tests I plugged the cable without any drivers/software installed.
    Nothing was installed, the device was listed in the device manager
    with three exclamation marks.

    I tried to deactivate the WIA-service, but MP Navigator 2.2 depends
    on it.

    > Unplug the Scanner and printer from USB. (IMPORTANT!)
    > Remove the WIA driver. (This may be from Device Manager or Add/Remove
    > programs).
    > Reboot the computer.
    > Install the Canon Software.
    > Reboot the computer.
    > Plug the USB cable back in. Turn on the Canon scanner/printer.
    >
    > In Windows XP you must install any manufactures software before connecting
    > any device.

    Done so. The problem is more complex - Canon can't help - the only
    suggestion was to send in the (new) MFP for checking. Not amused.

    Thanks.
    Udo

    Udo, Dec 5, 2006
  6. Udo

    Danny Guest

    Hi Udo,

    If the scanner worked fine on other PC's then there's no need to send
    the MFP to Canon since you've basically ruled out the hardware as being
    the problem. The problem is isolated to your computer's environment.

    The WIA driver would be tricky to remove since it's native to the OS.
    If you end the WIA service, then that would disable your ability to
    scan on that pc also. Does the windows event viewer list any errors at
    the time of scan attempts? (either push event method from the scanner
    or the pull event methods from a twain compliant application)

    I've seen similar bizar behaviors while attempting to scan on pc's
    which have mulitple security software installed. If possible, verify
    that you're only running one virus protection application, spyware
    application, etc...

    if you're running any system-roll back software (such as Norton
    GoBack), these applications essentially prevent changes to your
    registry and can lead to similar symptoms as what you're describing
    while trying to scan.,

    Hope this helps~

    Danny Ha

    Danny, Dec 6, 2006
  7. Udo

    LarsWistklee

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Also bei den Umgebungsvariablen Path einfach wieder %SystemRoot%\twain_32\MP830 eintragen, Kiste booten und der Nagivator funzt 1A.

    Systemsteuerung > System > Erweitert > Umgebungsvariablen und dort unter der Variablen Path den genannten Pfad eintragen

    Du musst die normalerweise bereits bestehende Variable PATH um den Pfad %SystemRoot%\twain_32\MP830 ergänzen/verlängern.

    english (short version)
    the path to the twain driver director is missing in the system environment variable.
    add this to the path variable:

    %SystemRoot%\twain_32

    hth, greezzz, Lars

    LarsWistklee, Nov 25, 2012