Cannot Sign-in to Money 2003

ColTom2

Hi:

I have posted this problem once before, but not including additional
Newsgroups.I reformatted my computer and reinstalled Money 2003 from MS
Works Suite 2003 and now I can no longer sign-in to Money 2003. I get an
Error that says: "The password that you entered is incorrect. Please try
again." I can sign on to all of my other MS .Net Passport applications
requiring this password i.e. MSN Explorer, Hotmail, MSN Messenger etc with
no problem.

Apparently this was a MS problem with this application since its inception
as an extract from the original installation file readme.txt reads as
follows:
**************************
32: Money Is Unable to Verify Your Online Sign In Name

When you attempt to sign in to Passport, you may receive an error message
similar to:

Money is unable to verify your Online sign in. Money will now try to log you
in using

Work Offline sign in. Some online features such as background banking, will
be

unavailable, possibly because of network problems. To use these features,
please close

Money and try to sign in again later.

This issue can occur when you set the Privacy setting in Internet Explorer
to High or

Block All Cookies.

To resolve this issue, make sure that you are connected to the Internet. If
that does not

resolve the issue, follow these steps.

NOTE: Because there are several versions of Windows, the following steps may
be

different on your computer. If they are, please consult your product
documentation to

complete these steps.

Allow Cookies in Internet Explorer

1. Start Internet Explorer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3. Click the Privacy tab.

4. Drag the slider to Medium.

5. Click Apply, and then click OK.

More Information

A cookie is a file that is created by an Internet site to store information
on your computer,

such as your preferences. For example, if you inquire about a flight
schedule at an

airline's Web site, the site might create a cookie that contains your
itinerary or a record

of the pages that you looked at within the site that you visited. The
information in the

cookie can help the site customize the view for you the next time that you
visit.

***********************

I of course accomplished all of above and still cannot sign-in. In
addition, in trying to research this problem I find that MS has pulled the
KB article related to problems with signing into Money 2003.

I sent MS an email and got back "Tape 22" that Money 2003 life cycle has
run its course and a bunch of other non-essential talk that did nothing to
help me resolve my problem. If MS wants me to buy Money 2008 they sure are
going about it the wrong way, as I have about had it with MS Money period.

Any help or suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Hopefully one of you
guys will have an answer.

Thanks,

ColTom

R. McCarty

If it's a Cookie issue, you may need to set IE's privacy mode to
"Prompt" for both 1st/3rd-Party cookies. This way when you use
Money to login you can see what Cookie activity is happening &
set the allowance table for any MS-Money based Cookies.
*You may have to remove any preset Passport, Live Cookies
before you do this.

I know it's frustrating and a more recent version may eventually
be required. At least you're not dealing with a Intuit application.
They'll just tell you it ain't gonna work without upgrading to their
latest release. They ( Intuit ) aren't quite as bad as Symantec but
it's a close call.

ColTom2

Hi:

I deleted all cookies and set the Privacy Mode to Prompt for lst/3rd Party
cookies and still get the same error. I assume that by opening IE>Internet
Options>General Tab> and deleting all browsing history, including cookies
would delete any cookies applicable Passport, Live cookies etc.

Col Tom

R. McCarty

You can check by Exploring to...
\Documents and Settings\'YourLoginName'\Cookies
Cookies are permanently stored here and copied to the TIF
(Temporary Internet Files) cache while the user is logged in.

Just one other suggestion, since the app is older I'd modify the
shortcut to run in Compatibility Mode ( either Windows 2000
or 98 ) environment and see if the program will log in.

ColTom2

Hi:

I have no Cookies folder applicable my login name. However, I do have a
Cookies folder applicable the Administrator with the only file being in it
is index.dat.

I changed or modified the Compatibility Mode to both Win98 and Win2000 and
get a Red X error message saying " Unable to initialize a required Money
component. Please reinstall Money from your original product disks."

Col Tom

ColTom2

Hi:

I give up and surrender! I found out that I could click on sample.mny
file and it would open Money 2003 and let me establish a sign-in name and
password using .Net Passport etc. This at least allowed me to open the
sample version of Money 2003 and I could use everything but retrieve Money
updates. Kept getting an error to reinstall Money 2003 which I did only to
get the same error again saying that I could not retrieve Money updates.

Received another email from Microsoft stating about the Life Cycle and if
I was interested in upgrading to the newer product. At this point it would
be the last thing that I would do.

In addition, I found a Microsoft website that had a old KB article related
to Money 2003 sign-in problems, but they have pulled that website.

Enough is enough, but thanks for all your help.

I really appreciated your effort.

Col Tom

ColTom2

Hi:

I kept reading articles on the internet and screwing with Money 2003 until
I now have it working with no known problems.

It was a rather long process to finally get everything in order, but the
key is to create a name for another .mny document listed in My Documents
after initial installation i.e."Joe's Portfolio.mny". Double click on it and
it will launch Money 2003 where you can go through all the steps to get it
set up. If you already have a Net Passport account then everything is rather
simple from this point on.

Col Tom