Cannot connect to secure sites

I'm running XP and IE 6 at home. Have recently started to have problems connecting to secure sites which require a login userid and password.

Checked out Microsoft's website, and found a patch for IE 6 Service Pack 1. Tried that, but it didn't work since my IE's not at SP1.

Tried to upgrade my IE6 to IE6SP1, but that failed too, saying the full blown version that I was trying wasn't certified for XP.

Finally downloaded Netscape 7.1, installed it, and it worked like a charm.

Still need to fix the Microsoft problem though, so does anyone have any suggestions that would help me. Appreciate the input. Thanks.

sean mcilroy

I'm running XP and IE 6 at home. Have recently started
to have problems connecting to secure sites which require
a login userid and password.
Checked out Microsoft's website, and found a patch for
IE 6 Service Pack 1. Tried that, but it didn't work
since my IE's not at SP1.
Tried to upgrade my IE6 to IE6SP1, but that failed too,
saying the full blown version that I was trying wasn't
certified for XP.
Finally downloaded Netscape 7.1, installed it, and it worked like a charm.

Still need to fix the Microsoft problem though, so does
anyone have any suggestions that would help me.
Appreciate the input. Thanks.
.

Hi, im having the exact same problem. When you
downloaded netscape can you get into the secure sites ??
Thanks
Sean

gayden

I am also having the same problem that just started. I
thought it was caused from a power spike, but maybe that
was only coincidental. I went to Tools, Internet
Options, Advanced, scrolled to the Security section and
verified that Use SSL 2.0, Use SSL 3.0, and Use TLS 1.0
are checked. I cannot get into my online banking,
Paypal, and others that require 128 bit encryption.
Anybody have any other ideas?

I'm running XP and IE 6 at home. Have recently started
to have problems connecting to secure sites which require
a login userid and password.
Checked out Microsoft's website, and found a patch for
IE 6 Service Pack 1. Tried that, but it didn't work
since my IE's not at SP1.
Tried to upgrade my IE6 to IE6SP1, but that failed too,
saying the full blown version that I was trying wasn't
certified for XP.
Finally downloaded Netscape 7.1, installed it, and it worked like a charm.

Still need to fix the Microsoft problem though, so does
anyone have any suggestions that would help me.
Appreciate the input. Thanks.

Don Varnau

Gayden,
Try this page http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#secure_sites

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"gayden" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I am also having the same problem that just started. I
thought it was caused from a power spike, but maybe that
was only coincidental. I went to Tools, Internet
Options, Advanced, scrolled to the Security section and
verified that Use SSL 2.0, Use SSL 3.0, and Use TLS 1.0
are checked. I cannot get into my online banking,
Paypal, and others that require 128 bit encryption.
Anybody have any other ideas?

to have problems connecting to secure sites which require
a login userid and password.
[snip]

Don Varnau

George,