Cannot Bootup Computer or Enter the Bios

Reaction score
Last night I turned off the computer. it was working fine. I wake up today and I cannot bootup into windows or enter my bios. I do not know what is wrong. I took everything out (sound card, graphics card, etc). Still the same thing. I do not get any beeps or the keyboard doesnt work. However, I do get a beep if I turn on the computer without ram.

I have a gateway computer. 2 gb ram. amd athlon 4600 priocessor duel core.

The fans are working, I can open the cdrom drive. Other than that, the computer will not go any further than the gateway logo. It says press f2 to enter bios, but it just won't work.

Anyone have any ideas in what may causign the problem?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I never ceases to amaze me the amount of time a PC is turned off only to find it won't start the next day ... and I am not surprised anymore to find that the PSU had died. :nod:

That can be one aspect, and just because the fans work don't mean much to me.

No beep = MB failure, usually ... I suspect the MB for another reason also, It asking you to enter BIOS ... are you using a USB keyboard, if so, go get an ordinary KB ... you should be able to enter the BIOS with that, if the MB is OK that is.

Not much one can do if you cannot swap-out parts for known good alternatives.

:user:

Reaction score
I tried replacing the psu as well. No change... The keyboard is not usb. I tested the processor by taking the heat sink off and putting my fingure on it for a few seconds. It gets hot so, I know that is working. I do get the beeps from the mother board when I take the ram out. I tried everything. I left the keyboard, onboard graphics, and only the ram in. Same problem. It just stays at the nice welcoming gateway screen. It says f2 for bios and f10 for boot menu. The keyboard locks up and will not let you push anything.

I found out what computer I do have though:

Gateway gt5252
AMD Athlo 6400 x2
Nivida 6100 Chipset
2GB ram
MICRO-BTX SYSTEM

I am goign to assume it may be something with the motherboard though. Cause all my other components are workign fine. The soundcard is fine. My nividia 8800 gt works. The hardiskcs I tested as well.

Reaction score
ok i have a dell optiplex gx1 n256 hard drive i was cleaning my computer then had to leave so i left it running when i came back it was off so i turned it back on and it said keyboard failure alert cover was previously removed. so i turned it off and restarted then it said keyboard failure keyboard data line failure alert cover has been previously removed.i cant access bios and it tells me to press f1 or f2 ive done both nothing cause keyboard is not working. so i unplugged everything opened it up cleaned out all dust i could.ive tried to remove memory and reinstall it, ive tried to remove bio cell battery and replace it nothing.....im losing my mind it wont let me in the start menu to access the uninstall keyboard what else can i do???????????? girl going crazy

Ask a Question