Computer keeps freezing and thinks it's overclocked

Reaction score
Hi,

My system:

ASUSTek P5Q-E
RAM: 4GB of Kingston Hyper X
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz
ATI Radeon HD 4670

My PC froze last week and then wouldn't boot up when i tried to turn it on again. It would turn on (fans working, etc) but no bios appeared on the screen. Eventually (not sure how/why) it booted up again and I got the message:

"Overclocking Failed. Press F1 to enter BIOS. Press F2 to load defaults and resume" (or something along those lines...)

I have not overclocked my system at all, so am wondering why I get this message? Is it a problem with my motherboard? Should I update my BIOS?

Any help would be great, but please speak slowly - I'm new to all this...!

Thanks!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Will123!

I've got the P5Q motherboard and I've had that exact same problem, but I do overclock. I just went in to the bios using F2 and then saved the settings - that solved the problem :)

I don't know why it would happen in your case, perhaps the failure mode just happened to be the same and this generic message was presented. Has this happened since?

Reaction score
It's happened twice so far... The first time it wouldn't boot so I left it for24hrs then tried again and it booted (for some unknown reason) and then gave me the "Overclocking Failed" message. I went into the BIOS and made sure that nothing was OC'd, after which it worked perfectly.

That was until a couple of days ago when it froze again. I managed to get it to boot into the BIOS this time by holding DEL when I turned it on. This time I didn't get the "Overclocking Failed" message but that could be because I went straight into the BIOS...?

I'm trying to think of things that could have gone wrong - it's a brand new system as of last April and everything has worked perfectly until now. I read some other threads about a similar issue where the people thought it might be the PSU didn't have enough grunt to handle the system, but mine is 650W and a decent brand (Tagan Superrock) so I don't think that should be the problem.

My computer has recently moved location and so I'm thinking perhaps I knocked something inside maybe? I'm still to investigate this though...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

Replace the CR2032 cmos battery, some are older than they look. ;)

... and while you're in there, make sure everything is nice-n-tight.

:user:

Ask a Question