Cannont access programs through control panel

G

This morning when I turned on the computer and went into the Control Panel, I couldn't access any of the programs. I get an error message that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item."

Other than this Windows seems to be working fine. I have run a scan for viruses and there are not any. In addition I went in and deleted all the temp files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

G

I am having the same problem and cannot find any solution posted thus far. My problem may be related to a recent ME update down load. Now, my Norton Antivirus 2004 no longer functions and it cannot be re-installed without removing the existing due to the Control Panel problem. I am most interested in how this occurred and how it can be solved.

----- Magrathea wrote: -----

This morning when I turned on the computer and went into the Control Panel, I couldn't access any of the programs. I get an error message that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item."

Other than this Windows seems to be working fine. I have run a scan for viruses and there are not any. In addition I went in and deleted all the temp files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ask a Question