Can not connect to 192.168.0.1

Discussion in 'Windows XP Internet Explorer' started by Mark, Oct 16, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I cannot connect to 1 specific web address, I've deleted cookies/history/
    etc and still I can go anywhere but the ONE web address I need to connect
    to?

    This is the address of my D-link DI-707P router, and I can connect to it.

    I am running XP SP2 and untill the other day it was working well. I had some
    malware and since running a number of cleaning apps, have been no longer
    able to connect.

    I can from any of the other 3 PC on my local lan, but not from my PC... I
    do have a VM installed and from that I can. So I have assumed it must be a
    software problem on my PC.

    Reinstalled IE 6 as well as SP2 along with some windscock fixes, but still
    no joy.

    Any suggestions ?

    MW

    Mark, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Mark

    Emrys Davies Guest

    It says: Cannot find server. The page cannot be displayed. So it's
    not just your PC.

    http://www.192.168.0.1/

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies, Oct 16, 2004

  3. i have posted a message titled "This Page Cannot be displayed" if you
    look at that message i also posted a followup -

    go to start, search
    type in hosts
    open with word pad
    delete all but the one that says "127.0.0.1 localhost"
    close the file and restart internet explorer

    this helped me and solved my problem - hope it helps you

    heather smith

    Heather Smith, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone and Heather
    Smith said
    > i have posted a message titled "This Page Cannot be displayed" if you
    > look at that message i also posted a followup -
    >
    > go to start, search
    > type in hosts
    > open with word pad
    > delete all but the one that says "127.0.0.1 localhost"
    > close the file and restart internet explorer
    >
    > this helped me and solved my problem - hope it helps you

    Have tried the Hosts file as suggested ... no luck there. Only entry was
    127.0.0.1.

    I can only find 3 replys on the NG to your request, and none are yours ?

    Was they any thing else that might be worth trying ?

    Mark

    Mark, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone and Mark
    said
    > Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone and Heather
    > Smith said
    >> i have posted a message titled "This Page Cannot be displayed" if you
    >> look at that message i also posted a followup -
    >>
    >> go to start, search
    >> type in hosts
    >> open with word pad
    >> delete all but the one that says "127.0.0.1 localhost"
    >> close the file and restart internet explorer
    >>
    >> this helped me and solved my problem - hope it helps you

    Note: I can ping 192.168.0.1 and the printer attached to the router is also
    set up on the same IP... Yes I can print to it.

    This problems appears to be somthing to do with IE SP2 and somthing that has
    happened when cleaning out spy software...

    Mark, Oct 17, 2004
  6. > Have tried the Hosts file as suggested ... no luck there. Only entry was
    > 127.0.0.1.
    >
    > I can only find 3 replys on the NG to your request, and none are yours ?
    >
    > Was they any thing else that might be worth trying ?
    >
    > Mark

    I have nothing - i thought i posted a new message and instead i posted
    under "this page cannot be displayed" subject.

    Sorry I couldn't help you.

    Heather

    Heather Smith, Oct 17, 2004
  7. > Note: I can ping 192.168.0.1

    Are you sure that there is an HTTP server there?
    Test your assumption with telnet.
    E.g. open a command window and enter:

    telnet 192.168.0.1 80

    What happens? If the screen clears that would be a sign that
    there is an HTTP server listening to that port at that address.
    Otherwise you would have an explanation for your symptom.

    If the screen clears you can try simulating what IE would do
    when sending a request to this site. Are you giving it a file name
    to open or just assuming that the server will pick a default file to open?
    For the latter case it may be sufficient for you just to type:
    GET /
    (To clarify the syntax, that's GET<space><slash><Enter>.)
    Unless you escape into telnet's command mode (e.g. with Ctrl-])
    and set localecho you will not be able to see what you are typing.

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Oct 20, 2004
  8. Mark

    Jeff F Guest

    Just a quick question, did you try the "reset" button?????

    Jeff F, Nov 17, 2004