Calendar Magic V16.0

Susan Bugher

Alex said:
I've modified my web pages as suggested. If you think that the
explanation can be improved, let me know.

http://www.stokepoges.plus.com/whatsnew1.htm

Looking good. :) I suggest you make the torrent URL a clickable link.

Please borrow freely from the bit torrent info/explanation on the PL2006
CD's web page if you see any bits that looks helpful.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-CD-about.php#BitTorrent
Thank you for your help and patience.

My pleasure. I've been hoping for a chance to try this idea out. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

d/l'ding via utorrent right now. should be available for upload in a
few minutes.

Thanks Craig. I can't tell if the connections I see (4) are seeders or
downloaders. . . ATM one of the 4 is downloading from me. . . hmm. . .
looks like they finished and left. . .

I got bumped off by my ISP a few minutes ago - the joys of dial-up.
Someone should be seeding at all times for this to work as planned. I'm
using the word planned rather loosely. . . ;)

Is anybody planning to seed full time? If you are please let me know.

nervous Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

David Cox

http://www.stokepoges.plus.com/whatsnew1.htm

Looking good. :) I suggest you make the torrent URL a clickable link.

Please borrow freely from the bit torrent info/explanation on the PL2006
CD's web page if you see any bits that looks helpful.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-CD-about.php#BitTorrent

My pleasure. I've been hoping for a chance to try this idea out. :)

Susan

Hey Susan,

I did download uTorrent, it's running, I also downloaded Calendar Magic via
the bit torrent link provided. I can leave it run most of the time as long
as my plug doesn't get pulled....

David

Susan Bugher

Hey Susan,

I did download uTorrent, it's running, I also downloaded Calendar Magic via
the bit torrent link provided. I can leave it run most of the time as long
as my plug doesn't get pulled....

Hi David,

Thank you very much! :) It's past time for me to shut down for the night
- see you in the morning.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Roger Johansson

Allan said:
...none of the Simtel mirror sites would, for one reason or another.

When downloading from Simtel, choosing from all the download mirrors,
it helps to choose a http link instead of all the ftp links, if you
have download problems.

My experience with different browsers with different settings tells me
that the http mirrors work more reliably than ftp mirrors.

http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/simtelnet/win95/pim/calmag160.zip

Pelo

I'm seeding full time right now.

Thanks Craig. I can't tell if the connections I see (4) are seeders or
downloaders. . . ATM one of the 4 is downloading from me. . . hmm. . .
looks like they finished and left. . .

I got bumped off by my ISP a few minutes ago - the joys of dial-up.
Someone should be seeding at all times for this to work as planned. I'm
using the word planned rather loosely. . . ;)

Is anybody planning to seed full time? If you are please let me know.

nervous Susan

Terry Russell

Hi Susan,

I've modified my web pages as suggested. If you think that the explanation
can be improved, let me know.

if url is copied utorrent should auto paste display it in the 'download from
url'
the url.torrent should be on its own line to better define it

one downside is the author doesn't really know how many have been
downloaded, unless they ask
the seeders, tracker torrents allow counting, trackerless aren't so easy to
track use :) but utorrent
is dead easy to setup
out of the box users firewalls may also go crazy with a lot more traffic
It may not be a viable model, what percentage will actually use a torrent if
there is a no effort d/l link ? but worth trying.

1 hour up, 3 seeders , zero downloads, oh well, will keep it going for a
week
or 1 gig :)

You may like to note that in this case the torrent ethic to seed need not
apply,
although it would be nice :)
( if someone seeds to 1.1 someone else cannot seed beyond 0.9 all else
being equal so there isn't a lot of point putting too much kudos into it
I would much prefer to keep a 1 or 2 seeder count torrent alive than
attempt to reach parity against 5,000 seeders
)

to keep the torrent going the author should probably keep a
seeder around, if needs be they can be stopped unless no other seeders are
around
utorrent really likes to keep the dl'd file in the original palce but you
can
copy, I've burned DVD from the torrent store files while seeding at max
bandwidth with no problems so it is fairly robust

Terry Russell

Craig said:
Howdy all;

I've made Calendar Magic V16.0 torrent available via my ftp site. Since
this is my first stab at making a torrent available, I'd appreciate
hearing if it did/didn't go well.

ftp://ftp.puck.org/calmag160.zip.torrent

cheers,
Craig

It appears to work but appears to have unfun conflict with the one from
susan
which is already in place, is it actually the same torrent? which would
explain it:)
if you want to test torrents you have to remove the d'ld files and torrent
then restart it so it finds no completed or partial files. It is meant to
restart
in an incomplete state so goes looking.

If you want to try torrents just create a small ( say < 5 meg , 100k is
good ) of checkable text and seed it,
and give us a url
I will pick it up and reseed for a day or two for you to check removal and
other manipulations
so it will reload from seed , if you want, or not.

Alex Balfour

Gert said:
I guess Susan means the torrent file itself,
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/calmag160.zip.torrent
If utorrent is installed it will automatically pickup the torrent so
copying and pasting will not be needed.

Done but, when I clicked the link, utorrent didn't automatically pick up
the torrent. I had to use the Add Torrent command from the File Menu to
select the local copy.

I guess it's all part of my inexperience with utorrent.

Alex

Gert van der Kooij

Done but, when I clicked the link, utorrent didn't automatically pick up
the torrent. I had to use the Add Torrent command from the File Menu to
select the local copy.

I guess it's all part of my inexperience with utorrent.

You might need to restart your browser to get it going. When I click the
torrent file using FireFox it shows the 'open with uTorrent (default)'
in the download window, IE also handled it correctly.

Craig

.... said:
It appears to work but appears to have unfun conflict with the one from
susan
which is already in place, is it actually the same torrent? which would
explain it:)

Terry;

Thanks for piping in. The torrent *may* be a re-rolled torrent. That
is, I d/l'd the orig from Susan's url and then...I forget...it may have
"un-torrented" and then I repacked it.

So...I'll remove it from my server now. Thanks for the offer of
retesting, I'll post when I'm ready.

-Craig

Susan Bugher

Alex said:
Gert van der Kooij wrote:
Done but, when I clicked the link, utorrent didn't automatically pick up
the torrent. I had to use the Add Torrent command from the File Menu to
select the local copy.

I guess it's all part of my inexperience with utorrent.

This is weird. . . I added info to Mozilla's "helper apps" a while
back - Mozilla *used* to know what to do with torrent files.

hmm. . . Mozilla *does* understand it's a torrent file when I click on
the PL2006 link. . . *doesn't* understand when I click on the calmag
link on the Calendar Magic page - or in the ftp directory:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-CD-about.php
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/PL2006_CDISO.iso.torrent

http://www.stokepoges.plus.com/whatsnew1.htm
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/calmag160.zip.torrent

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/calmag160.zip.torrent

I don't know why the calmag torrent is not identified as a torrent file.
Anyone?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Allan Higdon

When downloading from Simtel, choosing from all the download mirrors,
it helps to choose a http link instead of all the ftp links, if you
have download problems.

My experience with different browsers with different settings tells me
that the http mirrors work more reliably than ftp mirrors.

http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/simtelnet/win95/pim/calmag160.zip

As I mentioned in another post, this link also caused a problem when I downloaded through my download manager (FDM).
I would get redirected and the file would then be renamed to a PHP file before being downloaded.
The link does work through my browser, but I prefer using a download manager.
John Fitzsimons posted a link, ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win95/pim/calmag160.zip, which works with FDM.

--
"Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
~ Flannery O'Connor

"The moral rot of political correctness runs deep today in both national parties."
~ Patrick J. Buchanan

Craig

Susan said:
This is weird. . . I added info to Mozilla's "helper apps" a while
back - Mozilla *used* to know what to do with torrent files.

hmm. . . Mozilla *does* understand it's a torrent file when I click on
the PL2006 link. . . *doesn't* understand when I click on the calmag
link on the Calendar Magic page - or in the ftp directory:

Susan;

I just tried the 6 different approaches you listed. They all worked
fine here. That is, for each of the urls you proposed, Mozilla
"understood" it was dealing w/a torrent and passed it onto utorrent to
process. I'm running Mozilla 1.7.12 on Win2kSP4.

datapoint,
-Craig

Susan Bugher

Terry said:
one downside is the author doesn't really know how many have been
downloaded, unless they ask
the seeders, tracker torrents allow counting, trackerless aren't so easy to
track use :) but utorrent
is dead easy to setup
out of the box users

Perhaps authors could estimate the number of torrent downloads by
implementing some sort of counter on the web page?

firewalls may also go crazy with a lot more traffic
It may not be a viable model, what percentage will actually use a torrent if
there is a no effort d/l link ? but worth trying.

In this case the alternative is downloading from Simtel - which is *not*
a "no effort d/l link". . . see yesterday's posts about problems with
Simtel. . . ;)
You may like to note that in this case the torrent ethic to seed need not
apply,
although it would be nice :)
( if someone seeds to 1.1 someone else cannot seed beyond 0.9 all else
being equal so there isn't a lot of point putting too much kudos into it
I would much prefer to keep a 1 or 2 seeder count torrent alive than
attempt to reach parity against 5,000 seeders

True - it's a different ball game from large files. . .
to keep the torrent going the author should probably keep a
seeder around, if needs be they can be stopped unless no other seeders are
around

Yup - for this to work well the file has to be available at all times.
ISTM ACF volunteers can ensure that - for some authors. . . Other
possibilities are for the author to recruit volunteers from his user
forum (if he has one), ask friends to help etc. etc. etc.
utorrent really likes to keep the dl'd file in the original palce but you
can
copy, I've burned DVD from the torrent store files while seeding at max
bandwidth with no problems so it is fairly robust

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Alex Balfour

Gert said:
You might need to restart your browser to get it going. When I click
the torrent file using FireFox it shows the 'open with uTorrent
(default)' in the download window, IE also handled it correctly.

Thanks. It's working fine now.

Alex