Calendar Magic V16.0

Alex Balfour

V16.0 is now available for downloading from Simtel at:

http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/55320.shtml

New features and enhancements are listed below.

Enjoy!

Alex Balfour

In the Unit Converter you can now create your own personal unit
converter database. Initially this personal database is identical to
Calendar Magic's unit converter database but two new command buttons
have been provided to add, delete and update categories and units in the
personal database. The "Add Categories and Units" button enables you to
add new categories and units to your personal unit converter database.
The "Edit Categories and Units" button supports the editing and deletion
of existing categories and units in your personal database.

Option buttons have been provided to switch between using Calendar
Magic's
unit converter database and any personal version. A "Show Statistics"
command button has also been added to the Unit Converter to display
category and unit statistics for the currently selected unit converter
database.

Added a new command button "Regnal Dates" for converting British
sovereign regnal dates to historical Julian (years beginning on Jan. 1)
or Gregorian form, as appropriate. This facility is primarily of
interest to historians and other researchers studying old Acts of
Parliament, wills, deeds etc.

Calendar Comparison screen - "Next Year", "Last Year" and "Ensure same
day of week". Their use is most easily explained by example. If the
Calendar Comparison screen is set up with the Gregorian and Chinese
calendars side-by-side and the Gregorian date Sunday, Jan. 29, 2006
specified, it is evident that the Chinese New Year occurs on that date
in 2006. Now do one of the following.

1.Click the "Next Year" button to find out when the Chinese New Year
will next occur on Jan. 29. The answer is in Gregorian year 2025.

2. Check the "Ensure same day of week" box and then click the "Next
Year" button to find out when the Chinese New Year will next occur on
Sunday, Jan. 29. The answer is in Gregorian year 2226.

3. Click the "Last Year" button to find out when the Chinese New Year
last occurred on Jan. 29. The answer is in Gregorian year 1987.

4. Check the "Ensure same day of week" box and then click the "Last
Year" button to find out when the Chinese New Year last occurred on
Sunday, Jan. 29. The answer is in Gregorian year 1854.

Note that, to try all four possibilities above, you must restore the
Gregorian date Jan. 29, 2006 before each operation.

Tool-tips have been provided for the two buttons to explain their
purpose and the Ctrl+T keyboard key combination may be used to terminate
any unacceptably long operation.

Daily sunrise and sunset times are now displayed near the bottom right
hand corner of the main screen for the worldwide location chosen in
"Personal Settings". The times are local times and adjusted for DST
(Daylight Saving Time), if applicable.

For "Days between Dates" you may now create a text file, localhols.dat,
containing the dates of "non-business" days, for example local holidays.
When calculating the number of business days between two dates, Calendar
Magic will deduct any relevant "non-business" days listed in that file.
For further information on how to structure and format the file
localhols.dat, consult the Help file.

In the Expression Calculator, there is now a single text box for
expression input and the display of results. Results lines always begin
with the characters "==>" to distinguish them from input lines. A new
Print Session button has also been added.

Modified the appearance of the Expression Calculator to make it look
more "calculator like".

Added a new constant phi and a new function rand to the Expression
Calculator. The constant phi is the "golden ratio", equal to [1 +
sqrt(5)] / 2. The function rand returns a random number in the range 0
<= x < 1.

In the Geometry Calculator, added the "segment height h" to the
calculated attributes of segments of circles. The segment height h may
also be specified as one of the two input values.

Corrected a few key naming and ordering inconsistencies in the
Scientific and Expression calculators.

The Help PDF file may now be displayed from any Calendar Magic screen by
pressing the F1 function key.

Added the date of Li Chun, the traditional start of Spring, to the list
of Observed Days for China.

Added the display of the current date and time to several additional
forms.

Susan Bugher

Allan Higdon

V16.0 is now available for downloading from Simtel at:

http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/55320.shtml

I keep getting "No such file or directory" with every link I try.
I despise simtel.net. :-(
Does someone have a direct link that works?

--
"Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
~ Flannery O'Connor

"The moral rot of political correctness runs deep today in both national parties."
~ Patrick J. Buchanan

Susan Bugher

I despise simtel.net. :-(
Does someone have a direct link that works?

This link worked for me a little while ago.
http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/simtelnet/win95/pim/calmag160.zip
2088 KB

hmmm. . . I wonder if Alex would be interested in a bit torrent
distribution. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Hi Susan,

I'm happy with any means of distribution which doesn't cost me money.
It's my Scottish blood.

I have a drop or two of that myself. :) Okay - to get us off to a quick
start I've created and uploaded a torrent file here temporarily:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/calmag160.zip.torrent

Directions for downloading are almost same as for the PL2006 ISO (just a
different URL for the torrent file):

1. download µTorrent http://www.utorrent.com
2. No installation is required. Put the file where you want it and start
it running.
3. In the file menu select "add torrent from URL"
4. paste this URL into the URL box:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/calmag160.zip.torrent
5. It may be several minute before uTorrent finds the download - be
patient.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Susan Bugher wrote:

Please help me get this torrent going. If you already have the
calmag160.zip file add the torrent file just as if you were going to
download via bit torrent - uTorrent will recognize the zip file (if it's
in the right directory). If you don't have it - get it via the bit
torrent. TIA

Susan
I have a drop or two of that myself. :) Okay - to get us off to a quick
start I've created and uploaded a torrent file here temporarily:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/calmag160.zip.torrent

Directions for downloading are almost same as for the PL2006 ISO (just a
different URL for the torrent file):

1. download µTorrent http://www.utorrent.com
2. No installation is required. Put the file where you want it and start
it running.
3. In the file menu select "add torrent from URL"
4. paste this URL into the URL box:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/calmag160.zip.torrent
5. It may be several minute before uTorrent finds the download - be
patient.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

oldfart

I despise simtel.net. :-(
Does someone have a direct link that works?

Evey time I tried I would get a PHP file si I turned off my download
manager and it downloaded OK ,??????
Regards
Owen
oldfart

Susan Bugher

Alex said:
I'm happy with any means of distribution which doesn't cost me money.
It's my Scottish blood.

Okay, this is the game plan we kicked around in a recent thread
("Midnight Madness") - the goal is to help Freeware authors distribute
their files at NO cost. :)

da plan. . .

1. The Freeware author creates and uploads a trackerless torrent file to
his web site. This takes about one minute. . .
2. The Freeware author posts the URL of the torrent file and a URL where
the file can be downloaded directly.
3. ACF volunteers download the file directly or via bit torrent (as soon
as a few people have the file).
4. When the torrent distribution has been started (seeded) the author
uploads a revised download page with the URL of the torrent file (and
instructions on how to use a trackerless torrent) and the general
distribution via bit torrent begins.

That same procedure would be used any time you release a new version of
Calendar Magic. ACF volunteers are always online now seeding the PL2006
ISO - this would be an extension of that effort. It does take a little
time to get a torrent distribution started (I'm online now but so far no
one seems to have found me) - a days lead time should be ample.

Anyway. . . looking forward to your feedback/ideas on this. Thanks for
volunteering to be a guinea pig. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Craig

Susan said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

Please help me get this torrent going. If you already have the
calmag160.zip file add the torrent file just as if you were going to
download via bit torrent - uTorrent will recognize the zip file (if it's
in the right directory). If you don't have it - get it via the bit
torrent. TIA

Susan

d/l'ding via utorrent right now. should be available for upload in a
few minutes.

-Craig

Alex Balfour

Susan said:
Anyway. . . looking forward to your feedback/ideas on this. Thanks
for volunteering to be a guinea pig. :)

Susan

Hi Susan,

I downloaded µtorrent, executed it and rapidly came to the following
conclusion -- I think you need a more knowledgeable guinea pig when it
comes to configuring routers, setting up port forwarding etc. Apologies
for not reacting positively but I know my limitations!

Hope you understand.

Best wishes,

Alex

Allan Higdon

Evey time I tried I would get a PHP file si I turned off my download
manager and it downloaded OK ,??????
Regards
Owen
oldfart

For the mirror site that I had been using (ftp.agt.net), the path to the file, /pub/simtelnet/win95/pim/, was no longer valid.
In another case, the problem was because the new version wasn't available yet.
I tried the link that Susan and Roger offered, http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/simtelnet/win95/pim/calmag160.zip, but, like you say, Free Download Manager renames it to a PHP file, but my browser downloads it fine. ????

--
"Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
~ Flannery O'Connor

"The moral rot of political correctness runs deep today in both national parties."
~ Patrick J. Buchanan

Allan Higdon

Allan,

Use http://www.stokepoges.plus.com/calmag160.zip. I hope too many users
don't take advantage of this because my website is restricted to a
download total of 250MB per day by my Service Provider.

Alex Balfour

Thanks Alex :)
That link does work with my download manager; none of the Simtel mirror sites would, for one reason or another.

--

Alex said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
I downloaded µtorrent, executed it and rapidly came to the following
conclusion -- I think you need a more knowledgeable guinea pig when it
comes to configuring routers, setting up port forwarding etc. Apologies
for not reacting positively but I know my limitations!

Please don't give up. . . you don't need to know *any* of that stuff to
offer a bit torrent download for Calendar Magic v 16.0 - the one and
only thing you *must* do is add the torrent's URL to your web page. (A
bit of explanation on the web page would be helpful - I've already
posted that - just copy and paste.)

The torrent's URL can be the one I posted before:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/calmag160.zip.torrent
or if you prefer you can download the torrent file, upload it to your
web site and use the new URL.

If you have questions we can discuss them on or off list. Trust me -
there is virtually no learning curve for you or the people who download
the file. KISS all the way.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Fitzsimons

Allan Higdon

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:38:09 -0600, "Allan Higdon"

ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win95/pim/calmag160.zip

Regards, John.

Thanks, John
Alex was kind enough to offer a link to it on his website, but I'll keep that one in mind for the next version.
:)

--
"Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it."
~ Flannery O'Connor

"The moral rot of political correctness runs deep today in both national parties."
~ Patrick J. Buchanan

Craig

Howdy all;

I've made Calendar Magic V16.0 torrent available via my ftp site. Since
this is my first stab at making a torrent available, I'd appreciate
hearing if it did/didn't go well.

ftp://ftp.puck.org/calmag160.zip.torrent

cheers,
Craig

Alex Balfour

Susan said:
Please don't give up. . . you don't need to know *any* of that stuff
to offer a bit torrent download for Calendar Magic v 16.0 - the one
and only thing you *must* do is add the torrent's URL to your web
page. (A bit of explanation on the web page would be helpful - I've
already posted that - just copy and paste.)

The torrent's URL can be the one I posted before:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/calmag160.zip.torrent
or if you prefer you can download the torrent file, upload it to your
web site and use the new URL.

If you have questions we can discuss them on or off list. Trust me -
there is virtually no learning curve for you or the people who
download the file. KISS all the way.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I've modified my web pages as suggested. If you think that the
explanation can be improved, let me know.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Cheers,

Alex