Buying A New Computer

Reaction score
I got my Viewsonic monitor a couple of days ago,looks good but i got 4 wires with it so will have to work out where to put them.I haven't used the monitor yet as i'll use it with my new computer which i'm expecting today.

I was wondering about installing my broadband and stuff again on my new computer,do you think the computer will have an ethernet port?

I hope it does as i was reading up on it last night and it said ethernet port is much better than USB port for the internet(currently using USB port on my old computer).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
DaveP said:
I got my Viewsonic monitor a couple of days ago,looks good but i got 4 wires with it so will have to work out where to put them.I haven't used the monitor yet as i'll use it with my new computer which i'm expecting today.
You probably will not use all at the same time. ;)

I was wondering about installing my broadband and stuff again on my new computer,do you think the computer will have an ethernet port?
It does. All new MBs have Ethernet as a standard these days. :thumb:

I hope it does as i was reading up on it last night and it said ethernet port is much better than USB port for the internet(currently using USB port on my old computer).
DO NOT USE USB :D
Use Ethernet and the CD that came with your ISP and make sure it uses the Ethernet connection. :thumb:

Who is your ISP?

Enjoy! :)

Reaction score
Muckshifter

I use ntl broadband and compuserve dialup.
My computer has just arrived,i'll open it in a couple of minutes.

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
Muckshifter

I use ntl broadband and compuserve dialup.
My computer has just arrived,i'll open it in a couple of minutes.
OH easy peasy then ... your Modem will already have it's MAC address assigned to you-them ... should be a simple matter of loading the ISP CD to use Ethernet. :thumb:

Xmas is early for you this year ... :D

Reaction score
Just had a quick look at the receipt and there was no mention of
int. 6ch Snd, 10/100, usb 2.0
is that ok?

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
Just had a quick look at the receipt and there was no mention of
int. 6ch Snd, 10/100, usb 2.0
is that ok?
LoL :D ... no, I wouldn't list everything the MB can do either ... read the MB manual. ;)

Take your time ... send the kids out with the Wife ... put the kettle on. :D

Reaction score
I've got lots of cd's with it,i take it most are already installed,also got afew odd looking wires and plenty of places to put them at the back of the computer.I won't have time to do it now so i'll try putting it together late afternoon or this evening.
Also i was just wondering will i be able to just unplug my speakers from my old computer and put them in my new computer or will i have to find a cd which came with the speakers if there was one or not i can't remember.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
I've got lots of cd's with it,i take it most are already installed,also got afew odd looking wires and plenty of places to put them at the back of the computer.I won't have time to do it now so i'll try putting it together late afternoon or this evening.
Yes, all CDs would have been used if needed ... cables will have coloured plugs ... and should only fit in their respective sockets. ;)

Just take your time ... :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
Also i was just wondering will i be able to just unplug my speakers from my old computer and put them in my new computer or will i have to find a cd which came with the speakers if there was one or not i can't remember.
Use any "computer" speakers you like ... again, it should be colour coded ... green, pink/red, orange, blue, black ... if you have all them colours. :D Green plug = green socket.

no software is required. ;)

Reaction score
Muckshifter,things are going well.

Connected through ethernet no problem and sorted email accounts easily aswell.I've found the right speaker port now i think after about the 3rd try,the sound now seems the same as my old computer.

I do have a wire though that i'm not sure what it's for,the wire is probably around 4 inches long,at one end it is small circular with inside it a line of 3 pins then 4 pins then a small black bit. At the other end it has 5 seperate ends red,blue,green,yellow and black,the 4 bright colors are the same type ends which have a hole in to plug into something,the black one has 2 pin holes each side and a small black gap near the bottom.
I can't see what it would fit to apart from the single black end might fit into the pc slot near where i put the monitor wires in,i think the slot might of said tv.

Can you tell me how to get a short cut to outlook express on my desktop and also how to get a short cut on my tool bar at the bottom of the screen to outlook espress and internet explorer.

I think the 19" monitor might be a mistake as it's absolutely huge,i suppose i'll get used to it.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
Muckshifter,things are going well.

Connected through ethernet no problem and sorted email accounts easily aswell.I've found the right speaker port now i think after about the 3rd try,the sound now seems the same as my old computer.
Hopefully you installed a good antivirus program ... AND ... at least three anti-spyware programs including SpywareBlaster. :thumb:

I do have a wire though that i'm not sure what it's for,the wire is probably around 4 inches long,at one end it is small circular with inside it a line of 3 pins then 4 pins then a small black bit. At the other end it has 5 seperate ends red,blue,green,yellow and black,the 4 bright colors are the same type ends which have a hole in to plug into something,the black one has 2 pin holes each side and a small black gap near the bottom.
I can't see what it would fit to apart from the single black end might fit into the pc slot near where i put the monitor wires in,i think the slot might of said tv.
Ignore the cable, you don't need it. ;)

Can you tell me how to get a short cut to outlook express on my desktop and also how to get a short cut on my tool bar at the bottom of the screen to outlook espress and internet explorer.
Right-click a clear area of the Desktop ... Properties/Desktop/Customise Desktop ... tick the boxes you need ... un-tick CleanUp Desktop Wizard ... ;)

As for outlook express ... Start button, right-click OE and drag it to the Desktop ... create shortcut here. :D

I think the 19" monitor might be a mistake as it's absolutely huge,i suppose i'll get used to it.
You'll get used to it ... :D oh, use 1024x768 @ 75/85Hz at least ... you can go higher, but for my eyes that is just fine. :thumb:

Reaction score
I'd never heard of SpywareBlaster before but have downloaded it along with avg, zonealarm,adaware se(i had a different version on my old computer).

Are there any other protectors i need?

How do i get internet explorer and outlook express on my toolbar again as i could only get them on my desktop at the moment.

1024x768 @ 75/85Hz I did the first bit not sure how to do the 75/85Hz unless it is automatic.

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
I'd never heard of SpywareBlaster before but have downloaded it along with avg, zonealarm,adaware se(i had a different version on my old computer).

Are there any other protectors i need?

How do i get internet explorer and outlook express on my toolbar again as i could only get them on my desktop at the moment.

1024x768 @ 75/85Hz I did the first bit not sure how to do the 75/85Hz unless it is automatic.
oh, get rid of AVG, please ... get AntiVir, it is better and free too.

For the screen res' right-click the desktop ... Properties/Settings/Advanced ... click the Monitor Tab and you'll see it probably set to 60Hertz ... use the 'drop-down' arrow and set for 75 or 85Hz ... the screen will change, make sure you like it before accepting OK ... if it screws up, just wait. You may need the monitor drivers, actually, I would suggest you get them anyway. :thumb:

http://www.spywarepoint.com/downloads/

bookmark the above site ... :)

You NEED the following ...
AntiVir
SpywareBlaster
Adaware SE and SpySweeper or MS Windows Defender or if paranoid, all three
& if you want to be a little more secure Firefox 1.5

Another neat program just released is SiteAdvisor ... see my link in the Security Forum. :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks for those,i now have :

AntiVir
SpywareBlaster
Adaware SE and SpySweeper and SiteAdvisor which looks good.
The webroot spysweeper doesn't take the things it finds off your computer unless you subscribe to it and when i did a search in files and folders of a couple of things it found the results search it files and folders found nothing.

Can you let me know how to get internet explorer and outlook express on my toolbar at the bottom of the screen.

Reaction score
Hiya Dave this has been covered before very recently. A little searching and you would have come across it. Altho what you are asking is a bit more simple than what happened in this thread ( https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2402236.php )

Anyway Follow instructions below:

Take into account you need to know where the program is located to do this!

1 Easy goto to the piece of software you want to link to your Desktop.

2 Right click on the Executable for that program so a menu appears on the screen

example: Start/Programs/Accessories/notepad

3 Click on 'Send to' and then click on 'Desktop (create shortcut)'

You can then drag into your quick launch task bar (taking you have unlocked the bar first ) To do this simply right click on task bar in a clear space and on menu untick 'Lock the Taskbar' Also go to 'Taskbar properties' and click 'Show Quick launch'

All done :)

OK?

Reaction score
Top class mate and i get them on a toolbar on the left hand side of the screen which i wanted.

Is that webroot spysweeper free edition not very good or am i doing something wrong with it?
I'm also having afew problems exporting things from my old computer to new computer,more on that one later.

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
Top class mate and i get them on a toolbar on the left hand side of the screen which i wanted.

Is that webroot spysweeper free edition not very good or am i doing something wrong with it?
I'm also having afew problems exporting things from my old computer to new computer,more on that one later.
Yes sorry, forgot SpySweeper is not technically free, but then I was quite happy to spend £16-£17 on a subscription, it is one of the best Anti-Spyware tools on the market ... you can use MS Windows Defender instead, it is still in BETA but is getting a good reputation for its protection ... MS Windows Defender is based on Giant's anti-spyware which was never free and was the number one anti-spyware tool in its day.

Just uninstall SS and add MS Windows Defender ... :D

Reaction score
Uninstalled SS and added MS Windows Defender.
My last problem is exporting my emails, address book, favourites and afew other things from my old computer to new.
I was told to do this :
To format a floppy disk:
stick the floppy in, go to my computer> 3 1/2 Floppy drive >right click on it select format and its blanked.

open outlook express
Select file>export>messages - and it'll move all your messages to wherever you want

Do the same for your address book.

For favourites (internet explorer) browse to C:\Documents and Settings\yoursername\favourites - and save the contents to disk, then drop them in the same place on new computer.

To get them on the new pc repeat the step above except select "import" then select "from file" (which will be the file you exported and saved earlier)

It was late last night when i tryed doing the exporting importing and it didn't work for me,i don't know whether it was because i was using a very old floppy disk which used to have windows 98 startup onit and hasn't seen the light of day for years or because of something else.
When i did the addresses there appeared to be 2 options :
Microsoft Exchange Personal Address book
Text File (Comma Seperated Values)
I thought i did the Microsoft Exchange Personal Address book export import ok but there are a couple of places where you can import it to and i think i did other addresses to start with it said import successsful but nothing appeared so i tryed it in addresses i think it was but nothing appeared there either.
I tryed the Text File (Comma Seperated Values) export but when i tryed to import it a message said it couldn't find the file.

When i tryed the Export of all my emails i got the message :
The export could not be performed An error occured while initializing MAPI.

When i tryed exporting the favs list i couldn't find the right place to export them from.

muckshifter

Reaction score
You can again thank MS for the "errors" in exporting/importing emails, 70% of the time it don't work. :rolleyes:

With the "favorites" folder, all you do is copy it and past it in the relevant folder overriding what is there ... Why MS cannot just have a simple tool to do the same job with mail, I'll never know.

I print out ALL my emails ... sad, but that is the only way I'm sure I have every bodies email address. :blush:

I also make use of my gmail account and "store" most emails by sending them to one account, then "star" them for future reference ... I'm on 12meg of my allocated 2700meg ;) :D

If you need a gmail account, let me know in a PM ... I'll need an email address you are using now, and a name you wish to be called by. :D

Ask a Question