Windows XP Business Contact Manager Has Disappeared HELP

Reaction score
I have recently downloaded updates for MS Office Pro 2003 and can no longer access BCM on XP Pro.
1. The first thing that happens is at the startup I get the following window
"Your SQL Server Installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with (Could not open SQLEVN79.RLL) Please un-install then re-run to correct this problem.
I have looked at SQL Server and un-install is not an option however there is a repair button that when activated brings up the following;
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package 'SqlRun01.Msi' in the box below"

This does nothing but bring up a Windows Installer box that the path cannot be found.

2. When I open Outlook, the message comes up
"There was a problem connecting to the database engine, To try again, please click Retry. If the problem persists, click Help.

Retry doesn't work. There is no connection with the help button.

I have restored to a previous date and this has not changed anything.

This morning I had a reminder to back up BCM - how was that created?

There is no help on the Help button in Outlook.

How did I get SQL server anyhow? It just seemed to appear after an auto update.

Any help would be appreciated as I have been searching for a fix for 4 days.

Reaction score
i am not sure but sql engine was set up when you installed bcm....did you enable bcm in outlook? try: go to file in outlook / click data file management / in the otlook data files dialog box click add /in the new outlook datafile dialog box click bcm database/click ok/ follow startup wizard on create or select cm database page/ after wizard complete close outlook data files dialog box/restart outlook....this from office 2003 oulook 2003 with bcm quickstart guide which you must have installed as well...check..regards

Reaction score
Thanks kishore thakrar I have tried your suggestion and came up with "This information service has already been added to your profile and cannot be specified twice.
Still no joy!

Reaction score
try uninstalling bcm may be sql will uninstall then....then download and reinstall bcm..sql engine comes with it ..mine did...after enabling otlook with bcm register with microsoft..good luck

Reaction score
Thanks kishore thakrar. What will happen to the data stored in BCM if I uninstall. SQL is version 8.00.761 Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (CONSOLE) so MS article n/a

Reaction score
my sql servor version 8.00.2039 so probably mine newer?...make a copy/backup cd of data then uninstll/reinstall...i didnot instll sql...ms did it when i instlled bcm last week..24th august..sorry can't help further as i have not started using bcm yet

Ask a Question