Windows 7 Windows XP to Windows 7 upgrade problem

Reaction score
Recently took the reluctant step to upgrade from Win XP to Win 7. If what I've experienced is the norm, then I'm sorry I did.

1. Whenever I use the mouse, for the first 4 or 5 seconds, it jitters all over the screen before settling down.
2. Whenever I'm on the net - still using Firefox - I find that the little blue circle is constantly revolving. If I'm on a forum, like this one, clicking on Forums in the menu bar takes between 7 and 12 seconds for the list of forums to appear, then the same when clicking on, say, General Discussion or any other forum headings. When using Firefox in my old Win XP, selection was pretty instant.
3. With Win XP, when double clicking on a photograph, it would be instantly opened with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, and I could magnify the image until it became blurred. With (my) Win 7, double clicking on a photograph brings up the message box: Picture Viewer......Please check your Internet connection and retry. Why would I need the internet to view a picture? If I right click on a photograph, and Open With, and select Windows Photograph Viewer, it opens...Wow! But....if I try to magnify by just using one click on the mouse scroll, the photograph becomes pixilated, and the more I magnify, obviously, the worse the pixilation.
4. Since my last Windows update, neither my PC, nor laptop, will shutdown every time. More often than not, I have to manually shut down by pressing the on button for about 5 seconds.
5. If I open 2 windows, side by side, and I move one across the other, there is a white space where the window was, and as it's dragged across, it leaves lots of window echo- like images across the screen. It takes about 10 seconds before it clears it up.
6. If I try to delete some files or install some new software, I get a message box saying that I need Administrator rights. I am the administrator as is shown under User Accounts.

This has been such a pain in the bum that I'm seriously thinking of going back to old reliable XP.
My PC spec is: Asus M4A78LT-M (Win 7 ready) motherboard, AMD Athlon II x4 645 cpu 3.10GHz 4GB RAM.
Should be capable of running Win 7......Any suggestions?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Clean install !

Backup all data, format HD, reinstall ... everything.

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Today is also the last day that you qualify for a free upgrade from Windows 7 > 10 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade). If you're considering a clean install (which I agree is a good idea), then there may be no harm in trying Windows 10 out, as you'll have to re-install anyway.

Just wanted to mention this as an aside, as it's the last day to get the free upgrade - so may be worth trying anyway :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good shout Ian. Definitely worth doing as MS now let you do a fresh win10 install via USB and use your old 7 product key. Making it even easier. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Spybot Anti-Beacon curtails Win 10 from phoning home ... maybe some one needs to tell the French. :)

Ask a Question