browser window shows low

Midlant

A few days ago my browser window started opening low and covering the
bottom taskbar. I can see the desktop at the top and behind the browser
window. The very bottom portion of the window is hidden behind the
taskbar. Now this morning the window is on top of the bottom task bar
and still displays low on the monitor screen.
What is going on?
John

DVarnau

Try:
With only the affected window open (and the taskbar NOT set to autohide)
grab the top of the taskbar and pull it up to twice its normal height. Then
close the window, resize the taskbar, reopen the window.
Or
With only that window open, right click the taskbar and choose "tile
vertically" (horizontally should also work.)
Or (a registry edit)
Q194759 - New Internet Explorer Window Opens Partially Off the Screen:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q194/7/59.asp

Also... I'd be inclined to look for malware:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Hope this helps,
Don

Midlant

Thanks but, those options didn't fix it. I've relaoded XP Pro under the
repair option too

..

--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org
Midlant said:
A few days ago my browser window started opening low and covering the
bottom taskbar. I can see the desktop at the top and behind the browser
window. The very bottom portion of the window is hidden behind the
taskbar. Now this morning the window is on top of the bottom task bar
and still displays low on the monitor screen.
What is going on?
John

DVarnau

There are a couple of additional possibilities at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/ietips.htm > Opening Internet Explorer Full Size

Did you run Ad-aware, Spybot and CWShredder?

Using HijackThis to post a log to the sypwareinfo forums would be a god next
step.
HijackThis Quick Start [tomcoyote.org]: http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Don
- - - - - -

.

Midlant said:
A few days ago my browser window started opening low and covering the
bottom taskbar. I can see the desktop at the top and behind the browser
window. The very bottom portion of the window is hidden behind the
taskbar. Now this morning the window is on top of the bottom task bar
and still displays low on the monitor screen.
What is going on?
John

DVarnau

Afterthought...
It's a workaround- not a fix, but one of these freeware programs should
help.
AutoSizer 1.4- http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/
IE New Window Maximizer http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/index.htm

Don

"Midlant" <washrag71[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
A few days ago my browser window started opening low and covering the
bottom taskbar. I can see the desktop at the top and behind the browser
window. The very bottom portion of the window is hidden behind the
taskbar. Now this morning the window is on top of the bottom task bar
and still displays low on the monitor screen.
What is going on?
John

Midlant

Don, the window is full sized. The problem is that is displays low (to
the bottom) on the monitor. The bottom of the window is below the bottom
taskbar so that I cannot navigate a large window right or left. And I
can see the desktop at the top all the way across. It sits low enough
that I can minimize or close OutlooK Express behind it.
If I could just drag it up into place it would be great.
I have run Spybot recently as well.
John

mac

Midlant said:
Don, the window is full sized. The problem is that is displays low (to
the bottom) on the monitor. The bottom of the window is below the bottom
taskbar so that I cannot navigate a large window right or left. And I
can see the desktop at the top all the way across. It sits low enough
that I can minimize or close OutlooK Express behind it.
If I could just drag it up into place it would be great.
I have run Spybot recently as well.
John

"Close all windows EXCEPT the one that open "minimized"; right click on your
Task Bar, either on the open space on the right or left end (your choice);
select "Tile Windows Horizontally" and IE will maximize; close IE. Re-open
IE and it will be maximized.

Here's another approach from a Frank Saunders post:

"From: http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/offpos.htm

Symptom: IE opens a maximized window shifted down and to the right.

Remove any 'Auto-hide' option for the taskbar and while the window is
maximized, resize the taskbar then return it to the desired size. This is to
try to make Windows re-calculate the window size and boundaries.

If no joy, run regedit and remove these registry key values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\window_placement

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Desktop\OldWorkAreas\OldWorkAreaRects

Then reboot.

Midlant

Don, I did as you suggested. The window opened to the correct size but
it's running minimized. When I maximize it, it does as I wrote, it drops
about 3/16" so that the bottom is below the taskbar and the desktop is
visible behind the top of the window.