black screen

Reaction score
hi i have a acer espire 1690 notbook that has just started giving me some trouble..when i bootup i can hear the windows vista jingle but i cant get a picture,i tried hooking it up to another monitor and i got the windows logo but then i got a message saying checking file system on c:..then i get another message saying dumping memory..after that it just goes into the same loop...sounds expensive to me...hope someone can shed some light on this problem ..running win vista..kind regards john.

Reaction score
HAve you added any new software or made any changes to the notebook recently..? HAve you tried starting the notebook in Safe Mode ? Doe it start in safe Mode..?

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
black sceen

Hi theted
It depends on how happy you are with unscrewing cover plates on the bottom of the laptop. The best result is a RAM failure - if there are two strips of RAM installed, try one in each position and see what happens - it is unlikely that both would be faulty.
If there is only one strip fitted it is still worth buying a new one and if this does not solve the problem you can always sell it on.
Then it depends on how much vital data you have on the hard disk and do you have the Vista installation disk to do a clean install of Vista.
If all fails and you have to replace the hard drive - this is still not expensive but you still need a legal copy of Vista to install on the new hard drive.
All the servicing data is available from the manufacturer's website.
You may not feel confident to do any of the above but beware that a very large and important company wanted to replace a motherboard on a customer's laptop at a cost of £235 when the fault had been set up with loose strip of RAM - Daily Mail this week!
Cheers
peahouse05:nod:

Reaction score
hi peahouse,i swaped the memory strips over but its still the same{black screen}..i think ill take it to a repair shop for a estimate...and keep the fingers crossed its not anything expensive thats needing done..kind regards john...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Try running a Linux Live CD. If you can get a desktop then your problems are not GFX related and you have narrowed down possible causes.

happywave.gif

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi theted
You need to try each RAM strip on its own in the first RAM socket - try each socket in turn if it's not clear socket is which.
Cheers
peahouse05

Reaction score
hi,i just got a phone call from the repair shop,He told me that i need a new motherboard and it will cost £150 fitted..is that a reasonable price for doing that type of job?

Reaction score
theted said:
hi,i just got a phone call from the repair shop,He told me that i need a new motherboard and it will cost £150 fitted..is that a reasonable price for doing that type of job?

If that is the price he quoted for the motherboard and labour, then yes that is a bl**dy brilliant price to be quoted.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi theted
Before you go ahead, get the laptop back and try it with one RAM stick in turn. Also try Abarbarian's idea of installing a Linux installation CD (costs only a few pounds).
If none of this works get two more quotes for the repair. But it is essential to get in writing what you are paying for. Your current copy of Vista on the hard disk will not boot onto a new motherboard so a new legal copy of Vista would be needed - rescue disks, as provided with most laptops, will not work. You will lose all your files after a clean install but there is software available to get over this, but it all costs.
See my previous post regarding local shops wanting to replace motherboards when the fault was a loose stick of RAM and one really large company - I can sing the jingle but cannot remember the name!
If you decide to go ahead with a motherboard replacement remove as many coverplates as you can from the bottom of the laptop and mark the motherboard - just a couple of scratches will do.
If you think this is extreme, read the Daily Mail article where repairers were copying holiday snaps from customer's hard drives onto data sticks for fun and replacing perfectly good motherboards for £235.
Cheers
peahouse 05

Reaction score
thank very much for the advice guys..i'll get the notebook back off the the repair shop and try what you said about the memory sticks...and i'll also get a disc and try that if all that fails i think i'll just get a new laptop as i thought that the recovery discs would work ok with a new motherboard..thanks again guys..theted.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You can download and burn a Linuc CD for free, try Kanotix. So I do not know why money was ever mentioned ??

I would check out the statement that your present Vista will not work with a new mobo. Your changing a component of the laptop so there is no reason your licence would be invalid.

You can use Kanotix to recover all your files and folders for free if you do decide to get a new pc. Why on earth was money even mentioned ????????

From your initial post it does not sound like a mobo failure.

Try running something like MemTest to test out your memory sticks.

happywave.gif

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi theted
Sorry, Abarbarian is right, you can download Linux distros for free, but put it down to my idleness, I've bought various ones for about a fiver on CD - I love Damn Small Linux (DSL) - it lives on RAM or can be installed on your hard drive - both in minutes, so can check wether the fault is corrupted Vista files on you hard drive.
Again sorry for any confusion, I was referring to trying to boot from recovery disks - the only laptop we have ever bought was a Toshiba A30 and this came with recovery disks only and I think this very common. If you have the original Vista disk it will of course boot on a new motherboard and you will be able to activate your copy of Vista.
Cheers
peahouse05:nod:

Reaction score
thanks peahouse..i'll keep you informed on how i get on...i wiil collect notebook on monday from the repair shop...:thumb:

Reaction score
to fix black screen

1.check to make sure the VGA cord (monitor cord) is screwed in properly
2.your monitor may not be compatible with built in video if this is the problem at the bottom of the machine you may see some white inputs this is the video card buy adaptor at the shops and make sure it fits at the back of it screw in the VGA cord (monitor cord).

any more questions email me at: [mucks edit: deleted email address to help stop any spam]

Last edited:
Reaction score
theted said:
hi i have a acer espire 1690 notbook that has just started giving me some trouble..when i bootup i can hear the windows vista jingle but i cant get a picture,i tried hooking it up to another monitor and i got the windows logo but then i got a message saying checking file system on c:..then i get another message saying dumping memory..after that it just goes into the same loop...sounds expensive to me...hope someone can shed some light on this problem ..running win vista..kind regards john.

you may have to reinstall vista if it included xp disc you may have to install that unless you are willing to pay $150 for another vista disc

TO INSTALL XP OR VISTA DISC:

1.wait till your screen is blank.
2.insert the disc
3.follow the prompts

NOTE:
to install the vista or xp disc it can take up to 3 hours

Reaction score
thanks,i,ll give that a try on monday hopefully thats all that might be wrong with it...kind regards theted

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you have the Windows Key Code usually found on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop you do not need to buy any new Windows discs. you can simply borrow one from a friend to do the install and use your own Key Code.

:)

Ask a Question