Windows XP BING links not working

Reaction score
I have a problem with the new Microsoft search engine BING. It searches for whatever I ask it and provides a list of links. None of these appear to work using IE7, however if I use IE8 the links all work correctly.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Windows XP SP3;McAfee Total Protection;Malwarebytes AM;Cable 10Mb/s;Intel Pentium Extreme Edition,3.2GHz; 2 x NVidia GeForce 7800GTX SLI;Dell 0XH241 MB;

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've edited your thread title as I guess you mean the BING search engine? (www.bing.com). :)

Are you using IE7 and IE8 on 2 different computers? Also, what happens when you click on the links with IE7, do you get any script errors in the bottom right or does nothing seem to happen?

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion about the title. My bad.

Initially my main computer which runs IE7 failed to respond to clicking on the blue underlined links that BING brought up in response to my search. I then tried the same in a virtual machiine which runs IE8 (I am not ready to trust IE8 yet) and the same search and the same links worked correctly.
Thinking that I may have accidentally made a change to my main system's IE7 which was causing the problem I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP in a virtual machine. I restricted the updates to only install IE7 (plus all the other critical updates).

So I am comparing two virtual machines with Windows XP SP3 and all critical updates , one with IE7 and one with IE8.

There are no scripting errors showing up.

I wondered if it was a MS special that BING had introduced to encourage users to migrate up to IE8?

Thanks for the reply.

Ask a Question