Are you sure that belongs in pricelesswarehome.org... ?

Dewey Edwards

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:24:00 -0800, John Corliss
Also note that the Pricelessware list and this group are two distinct
entities. That the list is a reflection on this group however, is a
point that needs to be considered when the issue of including nagware on
it is decided.

Totally agree.

What we as a group tolerate for discussion, should not be the criteria
for what we as a group recommend as priceless.

meow2222

John said:
You are confusing discussing the definition of a ware type and
discussing (a) particular program(s). This distinction was clearly
implied in the list I quoted. That's most likely why you agreed that "it
wasn't inappropriate or unethical to do so imho."

point accepted.

And again, like so many others, you are confusing the act of actually
using a particular program with recommending it in this group. The two
are not the same.

No, I noted it as ISTR finding it on pricelessware, and Susan is
reading the thread.

An obvious fact that applies to life in general. Still, this doesn't
mean, for instance, that the world should give up on the democratic
process just because everybody doesn't agree.

Ah, another obvious fact :)

NT

Susan Bugher

John said:
Aaron, not including nagware in the list of acceptable type of software
was important enough to Nonags.com that they actually named their
website in a fashion indicating how they felt about it.

Does Nonags have a definition for Nagware?

they say:

http://www.nonags.com/nonags/antivirus.html

AntiVir Personal Edition Ver 6.13.00.xx for Win9x/ME (3.9 mb)
AntiVir Personal Edition Ver 6.13.00.xx for NT4/Win2k/XP (3.9 mb)

"the private and individual use of AntiVir Personal Edition at home is
completely free of charge! No annoying ads, nags or popups. No special
conditions or restrictions."

we say:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006SECURITY.php#0055-PW

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (AntiVir Personal Edition)
(Liteware) (Nagware) (Registerware: keyed) (free for personal use)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Does it matter? Users who vote for it certainly know what it does, do you
think simply labelling it nagware will change anything in the ballot?
If you ask me the number of votes casted for Antivir speaks for itself
without the need for special exemptions and stuff. Voters certainly can't
be blind to the fact that Antivir produces nags!

IMHO the fact they are willing to vote for it, speaks volumes more than
just some abstract vote on acceptable ware types.

You're ignoring the second half of the Pricelessware selection process -
the part where people who are *against* the inclusion of a particular
program voice their objections. Programs on the Pricelessware List must
be *acceptable* to most newsgroup participants.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php

"Eligibility for Nomination"
"In special cases programs may be placed on a Ware Ballot to determine
if the program's ware description is acceptable to newsgroup
participants. The Ware ballot is used only to determine elegibility.. A
two-thirds majority in favor of acceptance is required for a program to
be eligibile for the Pricelessware List."

"Final Selection Procedure"
"If you feel that a program is not a good choice for the Pricelessware
List post your objections."

ATM this discussion is about the removal of two apps:

PowerDesk
Company: Avanquest Publishing USA
(Liteware) (Registerware) (Nagware) (free)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006FILEUTILITIES.php#0578-PW

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (AntiVir Personal Edition)
Company: Avira GmbH (was H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH) Author: --
(Liteware) (Nagware) (Registerware: keyed) (free for personal use)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006SECURITY.php#0055-PW

The PL 2006 vote for inclusion of these apps:
PowerDesk (18 votes)
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (27 votes)

The question now is how many people favor removal of these apps. If this
course of action is favored by a significant number of newsgroup
participants the apps will be removed. If only a one or two people are
in favor of their removal they will remain.

Comments please. Should these programs be removed or remain on the PL?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Vegard Krog Petersen

You're ignoring the second half of the Pricelessware selection process -
the part where people who are *against* the inclusion of a particular
program voice their objections. Programs on the Pricelessware List must
be *acceptable* to most newsgroup participants.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php

"Eligibility for Nomination"
"In special cases programs may be placed on a Ware Ballot to determine
if the program's ware description is acceptable to newsgroup
participants. The Ware ballot is used only to determine elegibility.. A
two-thirds majority in favor of acceptance is required for a program to
be eligibile for the Pricelessware List."

"Final Selection Procedure"
"If you feel that a program is not a good choice for the Pricelessware
List post your objections."

[...]

My vote: Remove.

Perhaps a new thread for each???

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Aaron

And Susan is right about this. Correctly describing the program as
nagware doesn't change the fact that it was improperly allowed in by
those who took the time to vote on the list. I never vote on the list,
so I suppose some people think I shouldn't criticize it. That's not
the issue. Like anybody else, I can criticize anything I like. Whether
or not my criticism accordingly has any weight is another issue
though.

Sure you can critise anything you want, could you kindly exercise the
same previlage to me?
However, the Pricelessware list and this group are two different
entities - a fact that many often lose track of.

A. It's not an "obsession", it's a firm dedication to defending the
definition of freeware.

For what reason exactly? Beyond the fact of playing word definitional
games? And Please don't give me your tired old rant about how the bad
guys will take over the group again, the voting patterns show this will
never occur.
B. "Getting ridiculous" to whom? I'm sure there are those who agree
with your position, but you do not speak for this group or even for
the majority.

That's funny. If I don't speak for this group, who does? You? How do you
know my views don't speak for a majority?

Oh sure, people vote for ware types , but the evidence shown by the
actual voting of pricelessware entries supports my view people don't
really care about silly word games.

So what if Antivir is actually nagware, and they voted to exclude
nagware, so much the worse for the definitions.

How else would you explain it with so many people wifully voting such
entries in?
The second sentence is one that apparently Susan added to the
definition. My F.A.Q. defined nagware as:

"Nagware - there is a popup (nag) screen at program startup, exhorting
you to purchase the software."

and this definition was both discussed by the group and voted on at
the time (predating Susan's version) that my F.A.Q. was composed.

Hate to break it to you JC, but the only one that counts is Susan's.
'Yours' was voted back in prehistorical times, time to throw it out.

As for Susan's, it seems clear to me not many people care a whole lot
about playing this word game of whether something is crippleware, or
lightware or nagware, when push comes to shove they vote for what they
feel in their gut is priceless, that is why you see all this silly
contradictions.

Let's face it, I seriously doubt most people here are here to defend the
honor and definition of pure freeware.

Like many others, you are confusing whether or not something should be
used with whether or not something should be discussed in this group.

Heh. The only one confused is you.
You would be surprised to see what software *I* use on my computer in
spite of the fact that I don't feel that it should be discussed
(except in the context of demonstrating features that one is looking
for) or recommended in this group.

So you use payware, do you think it really shocks me?
Regardless, you're employing an old tactic that many trolls (and no,
I'm not calling you a troll) have used in the past.

Well, with you, traditionally people disgreeing with you a few more times
will be enough to get them there in your book. i expect you will be
calling me a troll and killfiling me in a few days later. :)

That is,
attempting to prove that defining a certain type of ware is
impossible, and then after you have convinced yourself that this is
the case, extrapolating from this a further flawed logic that
everybody should simply give up on trying to defend the definition of
freeware.

Did I say that?

Certain critical features like the ability to save or print have
clearly been defined as indicators of crippleware when they are
missing.

Defined by who? I can do rules lawyering again and point out that the
offical ware glossary (wisely) does not attempt to try to define what are
critical features. Because clearly there would be a broad range of
disagreements.

What good is the distinction actually then? Except as an excuse to allow
something that otherwise wouldn't be allowed in.

I expect something like this might happen for nagware, if nothing it will
just make purist freaks like yourself happy.
This area is not anywhere as gray as you make it out, but
yes, it is indeed gray to a certain extent. This, however, does not
mean that everybody should simply give up and start recommending
crippleware in this group.

Of course they won't recommend crippleware, they can simply call it
liteware, and if enough people say so, it becomes liteware! Don't you see
how absurd this whole thing is.

In an unmoderated group, this is an obvious fact that nobody is likely
to miss. However, common sense dictates that it's in the best
interests of this group to try to stay on-topic as best as possible,
and nagware is clearly not on topic.

JC, let me lay it out to you. What ware types are allowed into
pricelessware is voted on by the people right?

In theory, they could vote in Nagware if they wanted to. And while i can
see why abstractly nagware doesn't sound so good ( i can see myself
voting against it because nagging is such a negative word), if you
started throwing out stuff from pricelessware just because of that, you
could possibiliy see in the next vote, nagware becomes acceptable!

Particularly since unlike warez, or malware or shareware, there is no
strong concensus.

Already I see some people in denial trying to say it isn't Nagware by
that defintion. :)

So what would happen then? Would we have a situation where according to
you nagware is offtopic but could be in pricelessware? Just idly
wondering.

In fact, many of the major
freeware websites are proud of the fact that the software they list
includes no nags, ads or spyware.

But all of them list Antivir too! So how do you explain that?
Simple, they are human and hence flexible enough to bend the rules when
necessary. Of course the fact is they don't pretend to have an all
encompassing system to classify all the diverse types of software, just
the ones they target!
Not only that, but IMO, recommending nagware on the Pricelessware
list IMO wounds the credibility of the site.

If you ask me, listing anything but pure freeware on Pricelessware IMO
wounds the creditability of the site. :)
In your opinion, but I totally disagree with you.

Disagree all you want. Give reasons why. :)

In your opinion again, and it is an opinion that if everybody shared,
the effectiveness of this group would rapidly be diminished.

Aaron, not including nagware in the list of acceptable type of
software was important enough to Nonags.com that they actually named
their website in a fashion indicating how they felt about it.

And yet they do list Antivir?

At least with me, that tactic doesn't work at all. You are doing a
disservice to this group by attempting to trivialize both the
definition of freeware and the common sense of staying on topic here.

In your opinion of course. Personally I think your presence in most
threads tend to be a disservice to the group because of the inevitable
trolls you attract and your attention seeking tactics (it's amazing how
often you mention the OT Microsoft!) typically we go off topic faster
than you can say sock puppets.

Aaron

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:24:00 -0800, John Corliss

Totally agree.

What we as a group tolerate for discussion, should not be the criteria
for what we as a group recommend as priceless.

But don't we vote for ware types that can be recommended as pricelessware?

What exactly is the point of that then?

Aaron

Generally, we all agree that any talk of
commercial software or shareware is out. Once you get into things like
donationware, nagware, crippleware, time-out ware, registerware,
careware, etc things start to get kinda fuzzy. I consider these all
sub-genres of freeware. For me, free=no $. Beyond that I generally
make my own call about how much annoyance I will tolerate in a piece
of free software.

I kinda of agree.
I'm sure you'll find most people here -- more or less -- here fall
into that category.

Well it's hard to tell because I think most of such people fall into the
silent majority. The vocal minority are the ones who are stickers for
rules even though clearly they don't cover all the cases.

If you believe some of them, people like you and me are on a slippery
slope, that leads to hell, and by next year, we will all be accepting
warez and spyware into pricelessware.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Presumably nobody cares. Everyone who voted on the software, knew
exactly what it did. Adding a label changes nothing.

Some of us do care. I certainly didn't know what it did until
reading this thread.
This whole obsession with ware types is getting ridiculous,

Hmm. If there were such a ridiculous obsession, that would be a
shame.
we don't like nagware once it becomes too annoying not merely
because it fits the definition of

'has a popup (nag) screen, asking you to purchase the software.
You must press a button to get past the nag screen.'.

I agree completely. But that has no bearing on whether or not
nagware should be on the PL. When Trillian was nagware, I used and
liked it, but because it was nagware, I was against it being on the
PL. There's a lot of software that people use and like which
doesn't belong on the PL.
So fundmentally, whether someone calls something nagware or not,
is probably based on whether he finds it annoying enough, or
better yet he doesn't care as long as it is good enough to use.

I don't see why anyone would avoid calling it nagware just because
s/he likes and uses it, but perhaps that is indeed what is
happening.
That's just like the whole Liteware/crippleware distinction. Again
people don't like it when too many features are removed that's the
whole thing to it! Trying to make youself feel better by calling
one liteware, one crippleware is just weird. Your crippleware is
my lightware!

IMO, all liteware is crippleware. I use and like some of that too.

I agree that calling it liteware is a bit weird, though that term
has been used by the folks marketing it for a long time. But it's
not as weird as refusing to call apps with popup nags nagware.
Remember the whole idea of ware types is meant to be used as a
shorthand to the types of things we generally find acceptable or a
way to describe something. It is not a straight jacket to make all
our decisions.

The group's definitions have been built into the PL procedures for
some time now. You really think they should be taken out of it?
Beyond certain things that everyone agrees like
warez,spyware,adware,sharewarez, I'm afraid trying to stick to the
'rules' closely when most of the definitions are loosely defined
anyway is not a good idea.

Not everyone agrees about the types you mention. When Opera was
adware, there were folks who liked and used it. Quite a few of them
wanted it on the PL, but it was always excluded because the group's
concensus was that adware shouldn't be on the PL. If adware had
been allowed on the PL, they could easily have mustered enough votes
for Opera. The current situation with nagware is similar, but
despite the group's concensus against putting nagware on the PL,
it's been voted onto the list.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

If you ask me the number of votes casted for Antivir speaks for
itself without the need for special exemptions and stuff. Voters
certainly can't be blind to the fact that Antivir produces nags!

Never in the history of the PL have votes been the only thing that
matters in the selection process. You seem to be advocating
throwing out all PL rules on the grounds that they are part of some
ridiculous, obsessive game for losers and lawyers. I guess that's
fair game for discussion when the procedures are reviewed again.
But don't you think the procedures that have been in place for a
long time for the 2006 PL should still be used for questions about
the 2006 list? People, including you, had plenty of time to object
to the use of definitions or to the list of software types to be
excluded throughout most of 2005.

Susan Bugher

Vegard said:
on 16.03.2006 18:59 Susan Bugher wrote:
My vote: Remove.

Thank you for expressing your opinion.
Perhaps a new thread for each???

They might be one post threads - everyone seems to have gone into lurk
mode. I may just flip a coin and have done with it. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

David

Thank you for expressing your opinion.

They might be one post threads - everyone seems to have gone into lurk
mode. I may just flip a coin and have done with it. ;)

Susan

I don't use the programs so flip the coin.

Craig

Susan said:
They might be one post threads - everyone seems to have gone into lurk
mode. I may just flip a coin and have done with it. ;)

Susan

Usually peeps only complain when I stop lurking...<cough> I've used
neither of these so, can't comment specifically on the two apps in question.

In general though, I think the only time that nagware should be omitted
entirely is if there are other proggies that fill the nagware's niche.
I wish I had a hard 'n fast rule for this but...it *is* the interenet
after all.

-Craig

Roger Johansson

For what reason exactly? Beyond the fact of playing word definitional
games?

You see, some people are so filled with anger that there is very little
space left in their heads for intelligence and perceptiveness. All such
people need is a reason to spout out their anger. They are trigger
happy and often get triggered by reasons that are mistakes.

They need fixed rules which they can whack others over the head with.
They spend their lives watching their neighbors carefully, so they can
jump on them and find an outlet for their anger.

Susan Bugher

Craig said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
Usually peeps only complain when I stop lurking...<cough> I've used
neither of these so, can't comment specifically on the two apps in
question.

No problem. We're not discussing the quality of the programs. This is a
WARE issue.
In general though, I think the only time that nagware should be omitted
entirely is if there are other proggies that fill the nagware's niche.

No problem. There are other programs in both PL2006 subcategories:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006SECURITY.php#Anti-Virus
AVG Anti-Virus System
avast!
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
F-Prot Antivirus for DOS

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006FILEUTILITIES.php#FileManager:Dualpane
2xExplorer
PowerDesk
Xplorer²

"da rules" prohibit Nagware. Exceptions can be made via the Ware Ballot.
These apps should have been on a PL2006 ware ballot - they weren't. IOW
- they haven't had their day in court.

If you think Nagware is always okay on the PL - or you think it's okay
in the case of one or both of these apps please tell me you think the
apps should stay.

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's not
okay in the case of one or both of these apps please tell me you think
the apps should be removed.

I'm just the point person => the group has to *point* me in the
direction they wish me to go.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's
not okay in the case of one or both of these apps please tell me
you think the apps should be removed.

Ok, just in case my discussion posts didn't make it clear <g>, I think
nagware is never ok for the PL and that these two should be removed.

Roger Johansson

Susan said:
If you think Nagware is always okay on the PL - or you think it's okay

The most important factor is the usability to problem ratio.
Or the positive sides to negative sides ratio.

If there is an extremely valuable and unique program I don't mind some
problem factor which does not disturb me enough to reduce the value of
the program in any serious way. Then it is a good freeware program in
my view.

This is probably how a lot of people think when they vote for a program
which formally might have a nagscreen but the nag is so little that
they don't see it as a hinder for using the program.

Most people are pragmatic, not formalistic in their views.

That's why those formal definitions keep colliding with people's views
here.

A less valuable program which is just one of several similar programs,
then I see no reason to bother with that program or accept the nag
factor, even if it is small.

The negative factor of a program is the total sum of its negative
sides, not just intended nag factors put in it by the author.

jb

Anonymous said:
Hi Everyone,

I just saw an entry for PowerDesk in
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006FILEUTILITIES.php#FileManager.
The entry includes the following line: "(Liteware) (Registerware)
(Nagware) (free)"

You can probably guess what's coming:

1) I've read in several messages that liteware, registerware, and
nagware are not considered freeware in this group.
2) There is no listing in pricelesswarehome for FreeCommander
(http://www.freecommander.com/index_en.htm) which is not liteware,
registerware, or nagware, but there --is-- a listing for PowerDesk.

That doesn't seem to be consistent with the threads that I'm reading in
this newsgroup.

(In other words: It looks like there is a dent in the side of the car.
The dent might not be a dent---it might be a necessary molding in the
body of the vehicle to accomodate some sort of attachment to the engine
that sits inside the body. Is that dent supposed to be there or is it an
issue that needs attention?)

PS: I'm not advocating FreeCommander and I don't own or use the
software, I just needed a viable example to contrast with PowerDesk.

Well, it used to be free... it looks like register-ware now.

I bought PowerDesk Pro 5.0 years ago and still use it more than any
other program ;)

jb

jb said:
Well, it used to be free... it looks like register-ware now.

I bought PowerDesk Pro 5.0 years ago and still use it more than any
other program ;)

Still have the free version too...

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

If you think Nagware is always okay on the PL - or you think it's okay
in the case of one or both of these apps please tell me you think the
apps should stay.

The most important factor is the usability to problem ratio.
Or the positive sides to negative sides ratio. [...]
The negative factor of a program is the total sum of its negative
sides, not just intended nag factors put in it by the author.

I totally agree.

Regarding the two programs in question: I use payware in both cases. So
I can only express a somewhat generalized view. (Instead of providing
a personal experience report.) The nags described for both programs are
not worse enough to not consider their usage when need arises. But I
hesitate to call such programs 'Priceless'.

Therefore my vote is <Remove> (for these two special cases).

Btw.: I barely read one-tenth of all posts. Ballots usually get a clear
header. That's why I think chances are high that people will miss this
ballot. @Susan: How about a separate thread? You can post a list of the
already cast votes, there, to avoid the need of a new vote.

BeAr