Any freeware app to re-format an ntfs partion to fat32, form a bootable floppy?

Bailey Legull

God forbid you should find a person's thoughts at the top of their
post, rather than getting to scroll down and search for the first line
without a ">".

What I *truly* love, though, are those threads where the first post is
reaaaaaly long, and you have to hit that "Continue reading" link to
finish it. With bottom posting, you have to hit the "continue" button
to read EVERY REPLY, even if they're just adding something like "Me
too!"

Me, I'd killfille people who talk about killfiling people with
different posting strategies. But surely nobody's *quite* that
tightassed.

Daniel Mandic

Bailey said:
Me, I'd killfille people who talk about killfiling people with
different posting strategies. But surely nobody's quite that
tightassed.

Killfilers must reach the 50% to get seriously acknowledged. :)=

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Caesar Romano

Posting Top

A: Nothing really. A Newsgroup, like life itself, is full of morons.
Just ignore them. Don't respond to them. Even better, don't waste
time reading their comments. They aren't likely to be able to
contribute anything worth your time. There are enough of them
around to keep each other busy. You won't miss anything by
skipping them.

Q: What can I do about this?

A: Some newsgroups by their nature attract people who are not
accustomed to following a logical progression of written
comments. Reading and writing are not activities that they are
proficient in. They either lack the intelligence and attention
span to follow a sequence of comments or are just too lazy; most
are just too lazy. They read and reply to only the last comment
without any concern for, or attempt at, understanding previous
comments. You can verify this when you notice that from the
second or third top post onward, the comments bear less and less
relation to the original topic and make little sense within the
context of the original subject. Consequently the top posters
contribution is often useless at best.

Q: Then why are there some newsgroups with a lot of top posters?

A: Because it destroys the logical flow of a thread of comments.

Q: Why do so many people object to top posting?

A: Writing your reply to a message above what you are referring to
rather than below it.

Q: What is "top posting"?

Susan Bugher

It seems to me that with the judicious use of <plonk> and kill files we
can have two *separate* alt.comp.freeware newsgroups under the same
heading, one for top posters and another for bottom posters.

and never the twain shall meet. . .

that will remove the need for this kind of thread. . .

Susan (efficiency expert) ;)
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Mark Carter

Susan said:
It seems to me that with the judicious use of <plonk> and kill files we
can have two *separate* alt.comp.freeware newsgroups under the same
heading, one for top posters and another for bottom posters.

Indeed. Dr. Arsemunch, with his fondness for top-posting, should
hopefully fall off our radar.

Of course, you realise that by us two posting, we're just providing
fodder for the obviously trollish "top-posting or bottom-posting".

I'm currently using Thunderbird, which doesn't seem to have a killfile
facility. I guess I'll have to go try some of the other offering (I
tried 40tude once, but I don't think I was overimpressed).
Susan (efficiency expert) ;)

Bet the idea of a moderated newsgroup doesn't seem so daft now, what what.

harmony

i would agree with that. freshness must be at the top. chronology of events
always runs top to bottom, most recent being at the top. british messed it
up with their bottom posting. is it any wonder brits drive on the wrong side
of the street, and have 50cycle high voltage electricity?

Ziggy Zagnuts

This is a

Susan Bugher said:
It seems to me that ...we
can have two *separate* alt.comp.freeware newsgroups ...one for top
posters > and another for bottom posters.
Susan (efficiency expert) ;)

......................................................SPLENDID idea! ;-)

Jim

I'm currently using Thunderbird, which doesn't seem to have a killfile
facility...

try this:

tools -> message filters -> new

Now fill in the blanks as you desire and you will never see "whatever"
again.

Craig

Mark said:
I'm currently using Thunderbird, which doesn't seem to have a killfile
facility.

Mark;

Mozilla suite has a few killfile options accessible by right-clicking on
the poster's hyperlinked address (located between header info & message
body, right-ish side).

Is there nothing like that in Tbird?

-Craig

Jim

Posting Top

A: Nothing really...

Q: What can I do...

A: Some newsgroups by their nature...

Q: Then why are there some...

A: Because it destroys...

Q: Why do so many people...

A: Writing your reply to a message above...

Q: What is "top...

Well said.

And then there is intelligent (at least try) trimming of others comments.

Mark Carter

Jim said:
try this:

tools -> message filters -> new

Oh man, thanks! I never realised. I had Googled for Thunderbird
killfile, and was about to say that I couldn't find anything useful.
Drats - it's mentioned in the first hit too (I think I was distracted by
the hit text I saw further down the page "there is no easy way to
killfile someone").

That being the case, I am more than happy to stick with Thunderbird.

Mark Carter

Craig said:
Mozilla suite has a few killfile options accessible by right-clicking on
the poster's hyperlinked address (located between header info & message
body, right-ish side).

Is there nothing like that in Tbird?

Aha. Before my original post, I tried right-clicking on the line in the
top pane, but nothing relevant seemed to come up. But I now see that if
you right-click on the sender's email address on the bottom pane, then
there is a filter option.

My apologies for being a bit dense.

Daniel Mandic

Caesar Romano wrote:

A: Writing your reply to a message above what you are referring to
rather than below it.

The first better argument against top-posting, what I have heard so far.

(A reply cannot be above the previous poster)

Kind Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Susan Bugher

Mark said:
Bet the idea of a moderated newsgroup doesn't seem so daft now, what what.

Unmoderated newsgroups sometimes leave a lot to be desired but IMO
they're better than the alternatives.

IIRC someone once said something similar about democracies. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Daniel Mandic

Daniel said:
(A reply cannot be above the previous poster)

Kind Regards,

Daniel Mandic

After some Time I must regret myself.

The reply can be above (from top to bottom), in case of a stupid, or
better, unregular and abusive post. 1:1

TIME

Puzzla

This issue comes up often in most newsgroups. Top-posting
is definitely better in certain situations.

There is no better or worse, imo. It's just considered better netiquette to
bottom post. Some will scream at you for top posting (waste of time, imo)
and others will look the other way, but consider you a newbie. Being
considered a newbie, isn't all bad, but it kinda makes people dismiss your
pov, even if its valid.

Puzz

Mark Carter

Puzzla said:
bottom post. Some will scream at you for top posting (waste of time, imo)
and others will look the other way, but consider you a newbie.

OTOH, I've known IT support people and clever programmers do
top-posting, failing to trim posts, using html, and use signatures way
over 4 lines long. Mind you, they did Windows support, or programmed in
VBA; so some unkind folks might say it's simply a case of otters banging
rocks.