Annoying popup "Enter Network Password"

Hi All

Windows XP pro in a small ICS environment
Outlook 2003

I posted this to "Windows XP General" Newsgroup. No luck ! Thought someone
here may be able to help.

I am relentlessly receiving, sometimes every few seconds sometimes every 10
minutes..., a Windows popup: "Enter Network Password" which says:

Please type your user name and password
Server: ISP name
Username: My username
Password: ***********
Save this password in your password list

If I check the "Save this password in your password list" box and click OK,
the popup will come back again.

I run Adware, Spybot, MS Antispyware and an AV. Found a few low threat
things in the cookies which I removed them. But the result is that the
Windows popup is still coming up. Although I've removed two registry keys
from "RUN" folder under HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows, but I
still need to know the location of the registry key of this popup ? It
apparently won't go away without disabling it from the registry.

How/where can I disable this popup ?

Thanks

Best

Bill R MVP

Any other email clients running? Even Pocket Outlook can cause this with a
POP3 account when both it ad Outlook try and connect.

Bill Rodgers - MVP

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Best,

Thank you for posting here!

Brain is dead on this: this issue is most likely caused by that the
registry contains incorrect information for the Protected Storage System
Provider sub-key for the user account, and the KB 290684 should be applied
for this problem. To resolve this behavior, we need remove the user account
information from the Protected Storage System Provider sub-key and then
re-enter the password options.

For your convenience, I have listed the steps for Windows XP system:

Step 1: Back up the registry
---------------------
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the Save in box, select a location where you want to save the .reg
file.
6. Type a file name in the File name box, and then click Save.
7. On the File menu, click Exit.

Step 2: Remove the user account information in the registry
---------------------
Note: You must have administrator permissions to edit the system registry.

1. Quit all programs.
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedt32 in the Open box, and then click
OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
4. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
5. Click the registry key for the user who is currently logged on. Then,
make sure that the Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow.
6. Click Advanced. Then, verify that the user who is currently logged on is
selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that
This Key and Sub-keys is listed in the Apply to column.

7. Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with
entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
8. Click Apply, and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue.
9. Click OK two times.
10. Double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the
key. Click the user sub-key folder that is directly underneath the
Protected Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and
then click Yes in the warning message dialog box.

The user sub-key folder looks similar to the following example:
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701

Note: For every identity that you have, there may be a sub-key under the
Protected Storage System Provider key. To resolve this issue in all your
identities, you must delete all the user sub-keys folders that are under
the Protected Storage System Provider key.

11. On the Registry menu, click Exit. Then, restart the computer.

Step 3: Re-enter your password
---------------------
1. Start Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Mail icon.
3. Click Show Profiles, click the account that you are troubleshooting, and
then click Properties.
4. Click E-mail Accounts.
5. Confirm that the View or change existing e-mail accounts check box is
selected, and then click Next.
6. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click the account that you are
troubleshooting, and then click Change.
7. Under Logon Information, enter the password, and then click to select
the Remember Password check box.
8. Click Next, and then click Finish.
9. Start Outlook.
10. Use the Send and Receive command to determine whether your password is
retained.

I hope the information above is helpful.

Please try the suggestions above and let me know the results at your
earliest convenience. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Have a good day!

Thanks & regards,

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Bill, thanks a lot for your input.

Brian, I really thought that "your" KB would resolve my issue. I went "mad"
when I noticed that it didn't. Thanks a lot my friend !

Winfred, as I said to Brian/Brain, the KB 290684 and your suggestion didn't
work. I also tried the clean-boot. As I run out of idea, I reset my mail
profile. It also failed to resolve it.

Kind regards

Best

=========

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Thank you for your prompt response. I'm sorry to hear that the issue still
occurs after we implement the resolutions provided in KB 290684. Please
rest assured that we are always here and try our best to help you solve the
issue.

Based on my further research, I would like to provide you with the
following suggestions to further troubleshoot this issue:

1. Firstly, please double confirm that you have not configured more than
one account with the same server name, user name, and password in one
Outlook profile. If so, we may encounter the problem that Outlook does not
remember the password. For more detailed information, please refer to the
following Microsoft KB article which also applies to Outlook 2003:

281791 Outlook 2002 prompts you for a password for an e-mail account that
has a
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281791

2. If this issue still occurs, this issue may also occur if the current
Windows account has been corrupted. Please create a new Windows account
with the administrative privileges in Windows XP and test the issue again.
This will help us build a completely new environment. For more information,
you can read the following Microsoft KB article:

279783 HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

In case the steps above do not help resolve this issue, please help me
collect the following information for further assistance:

1. I would like to confirm whether it is a POP3 account configured in your
Outlook. If not, please let me know its type.
2. I also suggest you capture a screenshot of the exact password pop-up
window and then send it to me at (e-mail address removed) for further
investigation. Your time and efforts are appreciated.

Hope this helps. If anything is unclear, feel free to let me know.

Have a good day!

Thanks & regards,

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Smain,

Thank you for your prompt response. I do appreciate your time and efforts
on this issue.

Sorry for any delay due to the weekend. Please note that the newsgroups are
staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to answer your
non-urgent, break/fix systems and applications questions. Our goal is to
provide 24 hour response to all questions.

After I carefully read your update, before we go any further, I would like
to confirm the following information:

1. I understand that you have configured a test account in Outlook. Can
Outlook remember password for this test account?

2. You have configured the same account in Outlook Express. Based on my
knowledge, normally this will not cause any conflicts with Outlook.
However, we need make sure if Outlook Express can work properly now,
because Outlook requires Outlook Express to function well. More information
is documented in the following Microsoft KB article which also applies to
Outlook 2003:

OL2002: Why Outlook 2002 Requires Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=287686

If we ensure Outlook Express is working fine, I would provide you with the
following suggestions to further narrow down this issue.

Step 1: Manually disable all Outlook add-ins
--------------------
I suggest that we follow the steps below to manually disable all the third
party add-ins in Outlook. In this way we check if this issue is caused by
the conflicts between Outlook and some third party add-ins.

1. Start Outlook and choose Tools --> Options.
2. On the Other tab, click Advanced Options...
3. Click Add-In Manager... and COM Add-Ins...
4. Click to clear all the checkboxes in the list.
5. Click OK three times to close the Options.
6. Restart Outlook.

Step 2: Rename cache files on your machine:
--------------------
If this issue still occurs, please perform a search on your computer to
find the following files. After we find them, please rename ".dat" to
".old". We use this step to clear the cache files in case they are corrupt
and cause this issue:

extend.dat
outcmd.dat
frmcache.dat
views.dat

Note: Some of them may not exist, but it should not matter. Since they may
reside on a hidden folder, before we perform the search, please enable the
"Show hidden files and folders" option.

Step 3: Start Windows Safe Mode with Networking Support
--------------------
1. Click Start -> Shut Down, click Restart, and then click OK.
2. As the system reboots, keep tapping the "F8" key to bring up the Windows
Startup Menu.
3. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode with Networking Support
option, and then press ENTER.
4. Open Outlook Express and monitor if the problem still exists.

Hope this helps resolve the issue on your end. In case the steps above
still do not work, I'm afraid that we need to reinstall Office in our next
action plan as this issue persists after we have performed so many
troubleshooting steps.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Have a good day!

Thanks & regards,

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Smain,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know
if you would like further assistance.

Have a great day!

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hello Winfred !

I am sorry that I was unable to reply sooner as I was away for 3 weeks.

It appears that we need to reinstall Outlook or Office 2003 as you
suggested. Please can you assist as I have many folders which I need.

Thanks

Best

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Smain,

It is nice to hear from you again.

Once I received your reply, I have reviewed all the correspondences between
us. However, in your latest update, I do not see the answers to those
suggestions provided in my reply dated on 26th Sep. So I suggest that we
not reinstall Office 2003 at the current moment. Instead, I still recommend
that you try the suggestions outlined in my previous reply and check
whether this issue still occurs, as they are also important for us to
narrow down this issue. Your cooperation and patience are appreciated.

For your convenience, I have listed the steps as below.

1. From your reply dated on 24th Sep, you once configured a test account in
Outlook. Can Outlook remember the password for this test account?

2. I would like to confirm whether Outlook Express works fine with the same
email account configured. As I suggested before, we need make sure if
Outlook Express can work properly now, because Outlook requires Outlook
Express to function well.

By checking this we narrow down if this issue is related to Outlook or a
problematic email account.

If Outlook Express works fine, I suggest that we continue to try the
following suggestions (detailed steps are available in my reply dated on
26th Sep)

Step 1: Manually disable all Outlook add-ins
Step 2: Rename cache files on your machine:
Step 3: Start Windows Safe Mode with Networking Support

In addition, you can refer to the following Microsoft KB article to backup
your Outlook data and custom settings.

OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=287070
Note: This article also applies to Outlook 2003.

Hope this helps resolve the issue on your side. If anything in my post is

From: "=?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Annoying popup "Enter Network Password"
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 05:46:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
Hi Smain,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know
if you would like further assistance.

Have a great day!

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Smain,

Thank you for your detailed information. I'm sorry for any delay due to the
weekend.

According to your update, I understand that you receive duplicate email
messages. I would explain that in an effort to avoid confusion during the
troubleshooting process, we prefer to address only one issue at one time.
It is for this reason that I would like to suggest that we focus on our
original issue (Outlook cannot remember the password). I think in the long
run this will help to facilitate a quicker resolution for both of the
issues. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

After I carefully review the screenshot you sent to me, it seems that there
are two identical email accounts in your Outlook now: the original one you
created and a new one which was imported from Outlook Express. If it is
this case, Outlook may not remember the password, as what is explained in
the KB 281791 article which I provided in my previous reply.

So regarding the current situation, I would like to confirm whether Outlook
Express works fine after you configure the problematic email account in it.
Please send/receive email messages in Outlook Express. Can Outlook Express
remember the password properly? Please do let me know the result of this
test as it is important for us to narrow down this issue. Thank you for
your cooperation.

If Outlook Express can remember the password
---------------------------
I suggest that we remove all the email accounts in Outlook and import it
from Outlook Express to test the issue again. I suggest that we go through
the steps below and build a new environment from the scratch. To do this:

1. In Outlook, click Tools menu -> E-mail Accounts -> View or change
existing e-mail accounts -> Next
2. Remove all the existing email accounts.
3. Click File menu -> Import and Export.
4. Select Import Internet Mail Account Settings
5. Click Next and complete the whole wizard.
6. Check the issue again.

Note: When we encounter "Outlook has detected a new account, would you like
to import it?" dialog next time, please choose No to avoid duplicate email
accounts.

If Outlook Express still cannot remember the password
---------------------------
In this situation, please help me confirm the following points:

1. Does the problematic email account ever work fine in Outlook? If so,
when did this issue first occur? Did it appear right after any third party
application was installed on the problematic computer?

2. I still suggest that we start Windows in Windows Safe Mode with
Networking Support. This is also important, as this issue persists after we
have recreated Protected Storage System Provider sub-key and even created a
new Windows account. In this situation, the problem is most likely related
to third party conflicts.

Your time and patience are appreciated. I'm looking forward to your reply.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 05:46:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
Hi Smain,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know
if you would like further assistance.

Have a great day!

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Smain,

I'm writing to follow-up on this issue. Do you have any update on this
issue? If so, please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Enjoy your day!

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hi. I have the same problem, on two machines: One at home and one at work.
The problem just started on both of them. I think it is somehow related to
the fact that at home, I recently acquired a new computer (XP Home, Media
Edition). The work computer runs XP Pro. I don't run Outlook on both
simultaneously. Outlook accesses several accounts on each machine (at home
during the evening; work during the day). BUT the network password problem
only occurs with one account (road runner). Before I got the new machine (and
manually..total pain!...reentered my account settings) I never had this
problem, but it started up probably after I went to work on Monday and ran
the other Outlook (just guessing; I got the computer on Sunday). So...it
might be related to that issue. It is doubtful this is some registry problem,
right?

I followed your suggestions in the message here and unchecked all the COM
add-ins. I'll let you know if that solves the problem (but why at work???)

RON

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Didn't work. :(((

"Winfred Weng [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Thank you for your reply. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

Since Outlook Express works fine, we can conclude that the email account
functions well and this problem is related to Outlook. I understand that we
cannot connect to the server after we import the account from Outlook
Express. It seems that there is some problem during the import process. You
can remove it and manually create a new one. I'm sorry for any
inconvenience this may bring to you.

If this issue still occurs, I would provide you with the following
suggestions to further troubleshoot this issue:

1. Please start Windows in Windows Safe Mode with Networking Support and
check whether it helps resolve the issue.

2. If the problem persists, it appears that there are some deep errors or
corrupt in Office since we have tried a lot of troubleshooting steps.
Therefore, I suggest that we completely remove and reinstall Office 2003 to
check this issue. Complete uninstalling includes deleting related files and
Registry keys which may cause this issue. Thank you for your time. To do
this, please follow the steps as below:

Note: Before you perform the following steps, you can refer to the
following Microsoft KB articles to back up the Outlook data and Office
program settings. These articles also apply to Office 2003.

287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=287070

312978 HOW TO: Use the Save My Settings Wizard to Back Up Settings in
Office XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=312978

1. Start Control Panel -> "Add or Remove Programs"
2. Find the Office 2003 entry in the list and click Remove to remove Office
2003.
3. After this, click Start menu-> Run, type "regedit" (without the
quotation marks) in the Open box and press Enter.
4. Locate the following two registry keys. Export them for a backup. Then
please delete them.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0

5. Rename the "Microsoft Office" folder located in the C:\Program Files.
6. Click Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> on the View tab,
select the "Show hidden files and folders" check box.
7. Rename the Office Mapi folder. By default, this folder is: C:\program
files\common files\system\msmapi
8. Click Start menu-> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box and press Enter.
9. Empty the Temp folder.
10. Empty the Recycle Bin.
11. Restart your computer and then install a full version of Office 2003.
12. After this, please visit the following link and install Office 2003
SP2.

Office 2003 Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=57E27A97-2DB6-4654-
9DB6-EC7D5B4DD867&displaylang=en

Hope this helps. If you encounter any difficulty when implementing the
steps above, feel free to let me know.

-------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) ("Winfred Weng [MSFT]")
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:51:38 GMT
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general

Hi Smain,

I'm writing to follow-up on this issue. Do you have any update on this
issue? If so, please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Enjoy your day!

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Winfred Weng [MSFT]

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting here. I'm sorry to hear my suggestions did not help
you resolve the issue.

I would like to explain that although your symptoms seem similar to
Smain's, it may be caused by different problems. Please understand that our
newsgroup is an issue based service, and we usually handle one issue in one
post to avoid confusion, as well as to ensure that our results are
accurate. It is for this reason that I would like to ask you to post a new
thread for your question. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?U2V5bW91clA=?=" <[email protected]>