Annoying popup

Hi All

Windows XP pro in a small ICS environment
Outlook 2003

I am receiving, sometimes every few seconds sometimes every few hours, a
Windows popup "Enter Network Password" which says: "Please type your user
name and password". This is even when the machine is connected to internet
and even though other computers in the network are switched off.

The popup comes up with the correct ISP server name, the correct user name
and stars in the password field which I assume are correct. It also comes up
with an unchecked box "Save this password in your password list". If I check
this box it will come back again.

How can I disable this popup ?

Thanks

Best

Stan Brown

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 04:06:01 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, (e-mail address removed) favored us
with...
I am receiving, sometimes every few seconds sometimes every few hours, a
Windows popup "Enter Network Password" which says: "Please type your user
name and password". This is even when the machine is connected to internet
and even though other computers in the network are switched off.

The popup comes up with the correct ISP server name, the correct user name
and stars in the password field which I assume are correct. It also comes up
with an unchecked box "Save this password in your password list". If I check
this box it will come back again.

How can I disable this popup ?

Run a malware scan, PDQ. This sounds like a form of spyware.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Thanks for the reply Stan.

I did effectively run all spyware and antivirus to make sure and, as
expected, they didn't find anything. It does not look that this popup is
caused by spyware or malware. It looks that it is generated by Windows and I
would think that there must be a way to disable it from the registry for
example. Although my ISP is very slow, I've sent them a screenshot of this
popup to see if they have any idea. I haven't received an answer so far and
- knowing my ISP - I do not think that they'd come back to me with a
resolution.

The popup is very annoying !

I've also looked at this KB:

How to Disable Internet Explorer Password Caching
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229940

But when I reached "Add Value", this doesn't exist in the "Edit" menu. Got
stuck!

Regards

Best

=======

:

Jacky Gu [MSFT]

Hi Best,

Based on my experiece, the root cause may be on the ICS host.

As I know, we can config the idle time to disconnect the internet
connection on the ICS host. If you need to access the Internet resource
again, the client will pop up the prompt you encountered.

Please check the configration on the host machine to see if this is the
case on you side.

Also, If you are using Windows Build in Diag program, we can save password
and perform the following steps to prevent the prompt:
1. Check the option to save the password
2. Click the Properties button
3. Under the tab Options, Uncheck the option "Display progress while
connecting" and Prompt for name and password, certificate,etc
4. click OK

Hope this helps.

Jacky Gu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Annoying popup
| Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:58:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Thanks for the reply Stan.
|
| I did effectively run all spyware and antivirus to make sure and, as
| expected, they didn't find anything. It does not look that this popup is
| caused by spyware or malware. It looks that it is generated by Windows
and I
| would think that there must be a way to disable it from the registry for
| example. Although my ISP is very slow, I've sent them a screenshot of
this
| popup to see if they have any idea. I haven't received an answer so far
and
| - knowing my ISP - I do not think that they'd come back to me with a
| resolution.
|
| The popup is very annoying !
|
| I've also looked at this KB:
|
| How to Disable Internet Explorer Password Caching
| http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229940
|
| But when I reached "Add Value", this doesn't exist in the "Edit" menu.
Got
| stuck!
|
| Regards
|
| Best
|
| =======
|
| "Stan Brown" wrote:
|

| > Run a malware scan, PDQ. This sounds like a form of spyware.

Please Jacky, you are allowed to sau I am thick.
I didn't understand !

Kind regards

Best

=========

Jacky Gu [MSFT]

Hello Best,

Please tell me where you did not understand.

I think that you can try the steps on Windows daig program. This may be
more convenient.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

> [...]

| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
| >
| > Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical
phone
| > support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
| > situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to
all
| > Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.
| >
| > This and other support options are available here:
| > BCPS:

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
| > Others:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

| > If you are outside the United States, please visit our International

| > |
| > | Thanks for the reply Stan.
| > |
| > | I did effectively run all spyware and antivirus to make sure and, as
| > | expected, they didn't find anything. It does not look that this
popup is
| > | caused by spyware or malware. It looks that it is generated by
Windows
| > and I
| > | would think that there must be a way to disable it from the registry
for
| > | example. Although my ISP is very slow, I've sent them a screenshot
of
| > this
| > | popup to see if they have any idea. I haven't received an answer so
far
| > and
| > | - knowing my ISP - I do not think that they'd come back to me with a
| > | resolution.
| > |
| > | The popup is very annoying !
| > |
| > | I've also looked at this KB:
| > |
| > | How to Disable Internet Explorer Password Caching
| > | http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229940
| > |
| > | But when I reached "Add Value", this doesn't exist in the "Edit"
menu.
| > Got
| > | stuck!
| > |