Admin Password on Repair CD

G

My Dell Laptop crapped out on me today. After discussing at length the possible probems and doing all diagnostic tests with XP tech support, they determined the problem is with Windows. I am running XP Pro. I was told to get the XP CD that came with the computer and boot from that and when asked, go to repair. When I do that I am then asked which Windows installation do I want to look at. I only have one, so I chose that one. After that it asks me for the Administrator Password. The only password I can remember setting up was for my user account. I am the only user of the system and the only one who has a log on. When I try that password, I get denied, and when I try others or no password, I still get denied.

I am unable to just go forward with a complete format and reinstall because I need the data off of there first.

Any Help

Thank you

David

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Use your "tab" key and tab past the password box.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| My Dell Laptop crapped out on me today. After discussing at length the possible probems and doing all
diagnostic tests with XP tech support, they determined the problem is with Windows. I am running XP Pro. I
was told to get the XP CD that came with the computer and boot from that and when asked, go to repair. When I
do that I am then asked which Windows installation do I want to look at. I only have one, so I chose that
one. After that it asks me for the Administrator Password. The only password I can remember setting up was
for my user account. I am the only user of the system and the only one who has a log on. When I try that
password, I get denied, and when I try others or no password, I still get denied.
|
| I am unable to just go forward with a complete format and reinstall because I need the data off of there
first.
|
| Any Help?
|
| Thank you,
|
| David

G

Yes - I know the frustration!. To reload the software from the original CD you should be able to just put the CD in and reboot and it should boot from the CD and start restoring the original data. If that does not work, here is what I would do. If you can get a boot disk from a windows 98 or 95, boot from it. After you see the "A:\", type FDISK press enter and delete the primary partition and add a primary partition. This removes data from the hard disk. Then reboot from the original CD. Let me know if this helped. If you need more detailed help email me at (e-mail address removed). Good Luck.

----- DMF wrote: -----

My Dell Laptop crapped out on me today. After discussing at length the possible probems and doing all diagnostic tests with XP tech support, they determined the problem is with Windows. I am running XP Pro. I was told to get the XP CD that came with the computer and boot from that and when asked, go to repair. When I do that I am then asked which Windows installation do I want to look at. I only have one, so I chose that one. After that it asks me for the Administrator Password. The only password I can remember setting up was for my user account. I am the only user of the system and the only one who has a log on. When I try that password, I get denied, and when I try others or no password, I still get denied.

I am unable to just go forward with a complete format and reinstall because I need the data off of there first.

Any Help?

Thank you,

David

Ask a Question