Password Protected Computers

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A friend of ours has recently been widowed and she has been left with a PC and a Laptop both of which are password protected. Unfortunately her late husband did not leave her the passwords.

So, she's asked me what could be done. Seems there is some financial info on the PC and has asked if there is any way to get it without the password. I assume there isn't. Failing that is it possible to get into the PC even if it means losing all the info on it which wouldn't be the end of the world but she would like to have the use of the PC eventually. Is this possible or is all lost forever?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What version of Windows is this? Does she have a Win DVD for this laptop?

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Mucks. I will look into this. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A friend of ours has recently been widowed and she has been left with a PC and a Laptop both of which are password protected. Unfortunately her late husband did not leave her the passwords.

So, she's asked me what could be done. Seems there is some financial info on the PC and has asked if there is any way to get it without the password. I assume there isn't. Failing that is it possible to get into the PC even if it means losing all the info on it which wouldn't be the end of the world but she would like to have the use of the PC eventually. Is this possible or is all lost forever?

If the passwords are just for the operating system, as in a Windows login password, then you can access all the files and folders by using a Linux Live CD/DVD/USB such as MX-17. Easy peasy.

If the passwords are for the BIOS then things can be a little more difficult but you should be able to get around them with a little effort. Not all Bios passwords can be got around though.

Once you have managed to access the files and folders if they are password protected you may be able to hack into them it depends how they were protected.

To use the pc after rescuing all the data is certainly possible. Simply install another operating system on to the hard drive.

:cool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks, AB, I may need to get back to Mucks and you when I eventually get round to see the poor lady and she feels up to talking computers. :)

Ask a Question