Security Software Recommendations

Reaction score
I have just had to format & rebuild a neighbors son's PC as I located a dater miner Trojan (which was after bank accounts, passwords and bank details which had also stopped the MSE from scanning, I redownloaded it from Microsoft but it still would not scan and other strange things were happening with the OS.I found it with SUPERantispy scan. Their problem is that the lad is 18 with mild autisum and does not understand that he has to have responsibility for his actions. Problem is he has used his Mothers PC as well when she is at work I have spoken to her and she is going to put secure password on for her and her daughter as she does do banking on line. I gong to swap her PC over with the re built PC but I need to put on the best Security Software I can. ANY suggestions :(:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
there is NO best Antivirus that can counter human actions

keep MSE

try and educate the people that some types of websites are not nice and install Secunia PSI

use the "Hosts" file to block known sites ... an obsolete idea, but may help ... such as MVPS or a program like SpywareBlaster's immunization, that will edit the Hosts file for you, however, I'm not sure if that is still an up to date program. (never used myself)

good luck in your 'security' ventures. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.porteus.org/

If you think you are up to it. Putting Porteus on a usb stick would provide a pretty safe and secure os for your neighbour to do her important banking etc stuff. She can keep the stick in a safe place and use it when she needs it.

I can always help out with any advice you may need.

As Porteus runs in ran it is darn quick and it boots pretty fast once set up. They could have a usb stick each to run their own version from. Just a thought.
after_boom.png

Reaction score
:thumb:Thanks for the replies guy's I will have to look into Poriteus Abarbarian but sounds good to me., once thanks for the help:bow:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Over the years I've almost formed the opinion that, as Mucks says, there is no 'best' AV software. There may be slight differences in each applications' core engine and scanning methods but it seems to me the one that will come top of the tree in any test is the one with the most up to date database.

And of course one way of the AV software suppliers keeping their database up to date is to offer free versions of their software to gain feedback.

I may very well be wrong but that's how it seems to me.

And again as Mucks said, no software will guarantee against human stupidity, inexperience or naivety, the most common causes for gaining a computer nasty or being hacked.

With anti-Malware software however, I feel there is more of a difference between applications, it appears to me some definitely seem to have the edge over others.

Atm I'm using a combination of MSE and Malwarebytes, partly from feedback information and partly because it appears to be doing it's job.

Oh, and as most nasty software is aimed at Microsoft's venerable OS, I tend to use Linux for browsing less-than-reputable websites ;) << Mr Flops' tip of the day :D

Reaction score
Oh, and as most nasty software is aimed at Microsoft's venerable OS, I tend to use Linux for browsing less-than-reputable websites << Mr Flops' tip of the day

I agree with Mr. Flops. I do all the banking and random surfing with Linux. Since you are setting it up for her, why not put VMWare or Virtual box on and set up a Linux VM. Very easy for her to use that set up with a user password that only she knows at least for the banking anyway. Or, the other easy option would be just load a Linux live CD, do the banking or shopping while running from the live CD, something like Linux Mint is easy enough for anybody....

Ask a Question